BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Coolant Leak at rear of engine block

22K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mschoppe67 
#1 ·
After countless updates to the coolant system and repairing all the notorious engine oil leaks, I just found out today that a brand new coolant leak was discovered at the rear of my engine block. Coolant is visable at the opening at the bottom of the bellhousing (where the trans and engine come together). The same spot a leaking rear main seal would leak. The coolant is not coming from above as orginally suspected "valley pan". Not sure if it's good news or not, now the trans has to come out and the flywheel comes off to repair the leaking coolant plate at the rear of the engine block. Will install new flex disc and rear main seal at the same time.

I've had the car for just over 5 years, and currently have 120K on the odo. The car has been expensive to keep up since out of BMW's extended war, almost 2 years ago. I would guess $3K per year since out of war. However the car still drives better than any other new car I have driven, execpt maybe a new F01.

#2 ·
That sucks to hear :(

How much are you looking at in repairs for this?

#6 ·
I believe I found my problem and the one that OCCRY was referring to. Within the bell housing on the back of the engine block there is a fluid passageway. It has a cover with a molded in rubber gasket. That gasket goes bad and leaks inside the bell housing.

See this diagram at realoem.com it is item #5
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GN63&mospid=47785&btnr=11_3251&hg=11&fg=10

The video on this page is how I figured it out.
http://www.bmpdesign.com/technical/cooling/files/BMW_V8_Coolant_Leak_on_N62_Engines.php

Notice that if you were to have a valley pan gasket leaking in the rear of the engine it would leak above the bell housing. The leak would run down and around the outside of the bell housing.

Time to start getting ready to pull the transmission! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.