BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 35i M Sport - I was blind but now I see...

18K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  ErnestHouse 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been in the market for a new suv and have tested a variety of models this past month. We use our suv for both business and fun ***8211; we don***8217;t have kids but we do have a very large German shepherd dog and a very active sports oriented life style.

I focused on BMW and Porsche offerings. I drove the X3 35i last year and found it to be a little boring so I concentrated on X5 variants. I drove the X5d, X5 35i, X5 5.0, X6 3.5 ***8211; all nice. I had fond memories of the X5d steering and given the very generous year end incentives ***8211; the diesel was clearly the early favorite. However, when I dove it this past month I found the diesel clatter ***8211; although muffled ***8211; obtrusive. Moving on to the X5 35i ***8211; nice but nothing compelling. I tested a M Sport 5.0 and liked it, but found the pervasive sense of weight off putting. Moreover, although the vehicle conveyed a sense of tank-like invulnerability the ride was stiff and less than compliant. On to the X6 ***8211; I thought it might be fun but my German shepherd hated it. At the end of the day I thought I might drive home in an X5 5.0 M Sport. I came close but did not pull the trigger ***8211; thinking about the dollars out and the very real possibility that I would take a significant hit in terms of depreciation given the X5***8217;s looming replacement - I decided to postpone the decision and ride over to my ***8220;friendly***8221; Porsche dealer.

I was able to closely examine a CayenneD and CayenneS. In general , the Cayenne exuded freshness ***8211; and athleticism. I found the interior modern, sporty, and very comfortable. At $62K the CayenneD was a compelling value vs. the X5d especially given the somewhat dated persona of the BMW. Although the Porsche diesel was a great package overall ***8211; genetically there must be something in my DNA that keeps me from turning a deaf ear to the diesel clatter ***8211; Porsche moniker not withstanding. In general, I found the Porsche to drive ***8220;small***8221; as opposed to X5 variants that drove ***8220;large***8221;. I found the CayenneS at $80K to be the better overall choice compared to the BMW X5 5.0 and was tempted but thoughts of my previous experiences servicing my Porsches stopped me. My Porsche experiences have been the stuff of nightmares as opposed to the trouble free and responsive care I have received by my dealer in the metro DC area- Passport BMW, and by BMWNA.

So back to Passport to buy a X5 5.0 but I just was not feeling it ***8211; wow ***8211; a bunch of money for a nice vehicle but I still had serious reservations. I was paralyzed***8230;out of desperation asked to drive an X3 ***8211; knowing it was a waste of time. My Passport buddy brought me an X3 to drive ***8230;.Hmmm***8230;.M Sport Carbon black***8230;not bad ***8211; but I know I hate the very bland interior?***8230;..nope ***8211; nice interior design that exudes a sense of sporty purposefulness and finely executed design details . The sports seats coddle my 6***8217;3***8221; frame just right Well***8230;ll I know the thing drives like an economy car?***8230;..nope ***8211; tight ***8211; responsive and fast ***8211; a feeling of connectivity and lightness pervades ***8211; feels like the same guys who designed my M3 had a hand in fine-tuning this X3. OK, I know carrying capacity has to be compromised? ***8211; no again ***8211; the X3 is cavernous.

I was really impressed with the X3 35i M Sport but I was not sure if this was passing infatuation induced by the fatigue of testing all the others - I decided to think about it especially since the loaded X3 I would order would be more than an X5d after discounts***8230;.After thinking about it ***8211; I pulled the trigger and ordered an X3 35i M Sport Carbon Black/Oyster. Rarely do we have the opportunity to order a ***8220;perfect***8221; vehicle in terms of our needs and desires. I feel very privileged to have found such a vehicle in my M3 and now I think I may have found another in my coming X3 M Sport. Fast, responsive, capable, comfortable, athletic, maybe the perfect compelling suv in terms of my needs and desires.

BTW my German shepherd loved it!

See less See more
#2 ·
:):)

#4 ·
Very nice , I was in your shoes and end up buying X33.5 M sport as well
Perfect blend of mid size SUV that fits my wife,me and soon be very large golden doodle/he is only 7 mo and 52 pounds/ Alex

#5 ·
Hallelujah! I would say that this review has an amazing grace about it.

#10 · (Edited)
Did you drive the Touareg TDI with it's 405 pounds of torque? It seems to price out about the same as an X3 35i but doesn't have the X3's twisted up window line of the rear quarter panel. The Touareg keeps it flat like the X5, Q5 and others. It also has a dynamic suspension.

#11 ·
No I did not, but I did test the X5d and the Porsche CayenneD. Both were about 62K - only a few thousand more than the list price of my X3. Although the BMW X5 is a bit stale, the Porsche seemed initially to be a compelling value until I drove it. We all have different priorities, but I consider a " Porsche" Diesel that does 0 -60 in 7+ seconds to be an oxy-moron. Perhaps I should reconcile myself to the idea that God created two kinds of enthusiasts - those who savor the music of a thoroughbred gas engine and those who swoon to the tune of chitty-chitty-bang-bang….naw ...jus' joking!

#15 ·
Pity, you might have enjoyed it. The Touareg Presidential TDI is a clean diesel and prices out in the same ballpark but with that 405 torque does 0-60 in 5.8 like the X3 35i but with 20/29 mpg. The Cayenne also has the flat windo line. I suppose God created still other enthusiasts with BOTH eyes and ears that appreciate how it both sings and how it looks. :rofl:
Aside from sound? ….actually I find that sound is one of the most enjoyable aspects of driving. The sound of my M3 is one of the essential elements that magically transports me to a very special place where man - machine - road become one - a transcendental reality where I find myself living in the moment. I can go weeks without ever listening to my stereo - preferring the sensual rapture of M song.

<O:pWhen all is said and done the Cayenne D remains a seductive vehicle that promises Porsche cache and value. The Cayenne I tested was lighted optioned at 62K but struck me as a compelling choice especially if one were also considering a BMW X5d. However the proof is in the driving - yeah the Cayenne handles well, looks great inside and out - but it still goes like a diesel. I have owned Porsches in the past and I just can't quite understand the idea of a Porsche diesel - which destroys my romantic memories of the brand. On a purely practical note, I would still choose a BMW X5d over a Cayenne D, even though I might give the edge to the more contemporary Porsche, given the total luxury car driving experience. My local BMW dealer and BMWNA have taken care of me when there have been issues - the Porsche experience can be more contentious and will be more expensive.

As to eyes and ears - the emperor has no clothes - a Porsche tractor or VW tractor? - pick your poison - a 4600 rpm red line is the stuff of tractor pull dreams. Speaking of oxy-morons - Presidential VW?
<O:p

#13 ·
Capobranco, congrats on the pending arrival of your new X3 M-sport. Beautiful car especially in Carbon Black. Did you also get the Dynamic Handling Pkg (DHP)?

The most important question, is your German Shepard allowed in the M3? Silverstone is a nice color and rare in the sea of black, white and grey (M3's).

#20 · (Edited)
Capobranco, congrats on the pending arrival of your new X3 M-sport. Beautiful car especially in Carbon Black. Did you also get the Dynamic Handling Pkg (DHP)?
Thanks! I am very excited!

Damn, I just knew someone was going to ask me about DHP. Lots of angst over DHP here - way more than the $1400 cost. Long story short - I did not...at least as of this moment. I buy my cars from the general sales manager at Passport, who has become a friend over the years, and who is also an M3 enthusiast. We talked about it - more than once. He made the case that it was superfluous - indeed he told me that he has never ordered an X3 with DHP for the dealership. Although he did not have a car to drive with DHP - he said drive his car without and let's talk. The M Sport I drove was both sharp and compliant even on its 19 inch wheels - I was impressed.

The most important question, is your German Shepard allowed in the M3? Silverstone is a nice color and rare in the sea of black, white and grey (M3's).
Nick is my best bud - he always has my back.

Attachments

#26 ·
Perhaps a bit of a thread-jack but this was taken a few days ago at a somewhat local hiking trail. Both are mine. Noah (left) is 3 and Cooper (right) is 5. The picture quality is sub-par but taken with my Blackberry.

I usually hike the mountains in NH and VT. Not so much with the snow.

Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed

#27 · (Edited)
Perhaps a bit of a thread-jack but this was taken a few days ago at a somewhat local hiking trail. Both are mine. Noah (left) is 3 and Cooper (right) is 5. The picture quality is sub-par but taken with my Blackberry.

I usually hike the mountains in NH and VT. Not so much with the snow.

View attachment 355987
Had a Golden in 70's-80' (lived in Derry and moved to Hampstead :)). Great dogs!

#28 ·
Hey Capo,
...nice dog...
Nice X3 colors, too.
I want to get a new one, also.
How is yours equipped?
dgx3

#29 · (Edited)
Ordered fully loaded - options include-

Adaptive X drive with advanced torque vectoring
Launch Control
Voice activated commands
Advanced Navigation ***8211; nature based adaptive self- learning software -
On Demand Incisors
Low profile performance all season pads with studs
Full extended fur option in red and black
Extended warranty and maintenance
Advanced early warning protection and alarm
Flex fuel
Male Variant
Special performance exhaust ***8211; sporty large center mounted pipe

Note - Flex Fuel offers many advantages but you must pay particular
attention to the quality of the fuel, otherwise, you will have occasional emission
control problems which can affect the exhaust note but this problem is spotty

#31 ·
I have been in the market for a new suv and have tested a variety of models this past month. We use our suv for both business and fun - we don't have kids but we do have a very large German shepherd dog and a very active sports oriented life style.

I focused on BMW and Porsche offerings. I drove the X3 35i last year and found it to be a little boring so I concentrated on X5 variants. I drove the X5d, X5 35i, X5 5.0, X6 3.5 - all nice. I had fond memories of the X5d steering and given the very generous year end incentives - the diesel was clearly the early favorite. However, when I dove it this past month I found the diesel clatter - although muffled - obtrusive. Moving on to the X5 35i - nice but nothing compelling. I tested a M Sport 5.0 and liked it, but found the pervasive sense of weight off putting. Moreover, although the vehicle conveyed a sense of tank-like invulnerability the ride was stiff and less than compliant. On to the X6 - I thought it might be fun but my German shepherd hated it. At the end of the day I thought I might drive home in an X5 5.0 M Sport. I came close but did not pull the trigger - thinking about the dollars out and the very real possibility that I would take a significant hit in terms of depreciation given the X5's looming replacement - I decided to postpone the decision and ride over to my "friendly" Porsche dealer.

I was able to closely examine a CayenneD and CayenneS. In general , the Cayenne exuded freshness - and athleticism. I found the interior modern, sporty, and very comfortable. At $62K the CayenneD was a compelling value vs. the X5d especially given the somewhat dated persona of the BMW. Although the Porsche diesel was a great package overall - genetically there must be something in my DNA that keeps me from turning a deaf ear to the diesel clatter - Porsche moniker not withstanding. In general, I found the Porsche to drive "small" as opposed to X5 variants that drove "large". I found the CayenneS at $80K to be the better overall choice compared to the BMW X5 5.0 and was tempted but thoughts of my previous experiences servicing my Porsches stopped me. My Porsche experiences have been the stuff of nightmares as opposed to the trouble free and responsive care I have received by my dealer in the metro DC area- Passport BMW, and by BMWNA.

So back to Passport to buy a X5 5.0 but I just was not feeling it - wow - a bunch of money for a nice vehicle but I still had serious reservations. I was paralyzed&#8230;.out of desperation asked to drive an X3 - knowing it was a waste of time. My Passport buddy brought me an X3 to drive &#8230;..Hmmm&#8230;..M Sport Carbon black&#8230;.not bad - but I know I hate the very bland interior?&#8230;...nope - nice interior design that exudes a sense of sporty purposefulness and finely executed design details . The sports seats coddle my 6'3" frame just right Well&#8230;.ll I know the thing drives like an economy car?&#8230;...nope - tight - responsive and fast - a feeling of connectivity and lightness pervades - feels like the same guys who designed my M3 had a hand in fine-tuning this X3. OK, I know carrying capacity has to be compromised? - no again - the X3 is cavernous.

I was really impressed with the X3 35i M Sport but I was not sure if this was passing infatuation induced by the fatigue of testing all the others - I decided to think about it especially since the loaded X3 I would order would be more than an X5d after discounts&#8230;..After thinking about it - I pulled the trigger and ordered an X3 35i M Sport Carbon Black/Oyster. Rarely do we have the opportunity to order a "perfect" vehicle in terms of our needs and desires. I feel very privileged to have found such a vehicle in my M3 and now I think I may have found another in my coming X3 M Sport. Fast, responsive, capable, comfortable, athletic, maybe the perfect compelling suv in terms of my needs and desires.

BTW my German shepherd loved it!
Nick has good taste period. He knows that you choose wisely for you/him. The F25 is a smart choice, especially since the E70/E71 models are due for replacement soon. Capo keep in mind that the F25 has its quirks too - DI Clatter, and other minor nuances (lumpy idle at times) similar to the F07 - albeit this is an inline Turbo 6 as opposed to the N63 TTV8 . That being said I am 11,000 miles in and no issues - if anything it's running better than when I originally took delivery.:thumbup::thumbup:

#32 · (Edited)
Nick has good taste period...:thumbup::thumbup:
Hey Carfan, your experience is very reassuring. I like your current stable, --Obviously---
My dog prepared a tasteful reply for you too:

A Poem by Nicky

What words to choose? I'm oft' too rough,
but find the points nuanced enough

to sneer or snicker at the crass
who feign, with green-eyed need to pass
us while we motor off in joy---
The man his pup, the dog his boy,

No other rides from fatherland
surpass the pleasure we've at hand

When I and Capo, teeth a-gleam,
our ultimate driving machine.
---- select a new X3 M Sport
to rest beside in motor court

with our M3, cuz now I'm bettin'
the X3 I might more oft get in!

----Alas,
......... &#8230; shed happens.<O:p

#34 ·
^^^

HaHa!

"Ye Scholars" who venture the fray
<O:pto slice up and dice what I say
you can Lunge as you must
Feint and Parry and Thrust,
but don't F**K with my doggy, okay?
<O:p</O:p

#35 ·
Final Build
<O:p</O:pX3 35i

Carbon Black
<O:pOyster Nevada<O:p
Fineline Wave Wood
<O:pM Sport Pack<O:p
Premium Pack
<O:pPremium Sound Pack
<O:pTechnology Pack
<O:pCargo Net<O:p
BMW Apps
<O:pDynamic Handing Pack

Ordered 12-31
Production Number 1-07
Anticipated Delivery early to mid-February

I hesitated adding the Dynamic Handing Pack because I had a very bad
experience with "variable sport" steering on a prior 335i vert - super quick at slow speeds - artificially heavy and numb at higher speeds -
I never knew what the front wheels were doing. I really wanted the adjustable shocks. I was never able to drive an X3 equipped with DHP.
After reading a number of past threads about X3's with vs. without DHP
- I added DHP- given the overwhelming emphatic urgings of those prior posts.
My build for better or worse is now set in stone.

I feel like a kid waiting for Santa. <O:p

#36 ·
" X3 35i

Carbon Black
Oyster Nevada
Fineline Wave Wood
M Sport Pack..."

I am going to order mine the same,
unless I can find one that way already.
Did you get every option? Looks like it.

Think I'll need to put together some serious
dog proof surfaces. My dod is neat and trained,
but the shedding is a contant battle.
White seats, black rugs. Well, we'll see...:dunno:

You okay with the "hair" issues?

dgx3

#37 ·
Good luck trying to find anything even close at a dealer... If you decide to order, you might want to check out prices in the DC metro market. You would think prices would be better in Baltimore, but that has not been my experience. I've been dealing with Passport for a few years and they have been excellent - happy to hook you up, if you want to go down this path.

Concerning shedding - I have long given up trying to figure that one out - I am just vigilant about doing a thorough once over every week to stay in front of the hair - as you know - the benefits of taking your GSD everywhere with you far out weigh the costs.

So - you are doing a CB 3.5 M Sport with Oyster - I salute your great taste, but
this could get confusing if we should find ourselves competing at the same Schutzhund trials - I guess the only way we will be able to tell them apart is that yours will have a Raven's bumper sticker while mine will be sporting a Redskins sticker.

#38 ·
@Capobranco Thanks for the good intel. I'm about to place an order for a X3 just like yours with all the same options. I'm having a little trouble deciding on the colors though. Right now, it's between the Carbon Black and Titanium Silver, both with Oyster interior. Currently, I have a 2006 X3 M Sport Package with the Titanium Silver and gray interior. I know how well the Silver lasts over the past 7 years. It still looks brand new. It's easier to maintain and doesn't look so dirty as dark colored cars usually do. However, I love the Carbon Black color. Can you post some pics to help convince me to switch to the Carbon Black? Btw, I also have a (95lb.) GSD and also live in the DC metro area and also bought my last BMW (2009 335xi) at Passport.

#40 ·
Pics - I do not expect delivery until February - of course, when I take delivery I will post pics. Silver is hard to beat in terms of not showing dirt. My Silverstone M3 looks good even when it is not pristine. I know the Carbon Black will require more maintenance but a Carbon Black X3 M Sport should nicely complement my Silverstone M3 in the garage. Generally, I like the contrast between the Oyster and the dark exterior.

Hmmm....both you and dogguyx3 are getting X3 M Sports - possibly in Carbon Black w/oyster - all of us have 95 lb GSDs - live in MD - shop or will shop Passport - have or have had a 335i - I do like your style! - sounds like we could have the makings of a cult.

Welcome to the 'Fest!

Was on the same boat last year. The bottom line: get an X5 35i which is cheaper than an X3 35i M-sport. Short story, been driving the 2013 X3 since July of last year. My friends were impressed with the driving capability of the X3. The phrase that most of them mentioned, "this SUV is insane". It drives like a BMW sedan.
Thanks for the affirming remarks - I am going with M Sport - yeah - I know it is mostly aesthetics but I like the M inspired seats and other details - makes an emotional connection for me.

#39 ·
Was on the same boat last year. The bottom line: get an X5 35i which is cheaper than an X3 35i M-sport. Short story, been driving the 2013 X3 since July of last year. My friends were impressed with the driving capability of the X3. The phrase that most of them mentioned, "this SUV is insane". It drives like a BMW sedan.

#41 ·
So worth the wait...

I am thrilled, will post lots of pics this week.

Now, Capo.... What the heck's going on with yours?
Passport BMW was fantastic.... worth the trip. You were right.

This is so much better than my '07, and that was a thrill when I got it.
The handling even in "comfort setting" is dazzling, and the sport settings are
all the best BMW characteristics. So glad I have the sport seats.
The experience is totally transformed. and is this baby a looker!
The Carbon Black ghosts blue, even in the moonlight, and it'll
be bringing the "wolf" out in me full moon, or not.

Tell me about yours, when it comes in..... I am stoked!

dgx3

Attachments

#42 ·
CONGRATS!! :beerchug:

I received mine this past weekend - thought it would never get here. I am pleased you had a good experience at Passport - Joe Long runs a great organization! A bit weird we are driving essentially the same car...but what the heck....great minds think alike. For me, the Carbon Black accentuates the robust athletic lines of the X3 M Sport - the Oyster is a nice counter point. LUV the 3.5i exhaust note! I am so glad I got DHP - surprise - surprise the steering is precise and seems to have nice feel.....Overall I agree with you - BMW hit this one out of the ball park. I will post pics soon. :D

#44 ·
Thanks! - however - although the pic of the GSD is indeed mine, the above pic of the X3 M Sport Carbon Black is dogguyx3's.

Here's a pic of my X3 -sort of like Dogguy's-- HaHa!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.