BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Overhead switch panel popping out

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  markl53 
#1 ·
Has anyone had this issue? It seems to be related to cold temps. On occasion the upper switch panel will pop out of the housing part way and I just need to click it back in. This morning it was hanging down from the wires. The dealer installed the UGDO before delivery and I'm thinking that the initial "disturbance" led to this happening. I'll inspect it closer, but it doesn't appear that any of the prongs are broken. But, I do notice that the prongs facing the rear of the car don't seem to really engage -- it seems like it's mostly the prongs on the 2 sides that keep it in place. If it keeps happening I'll mention it when I need to take it in for service.

#3 ·
shizat63 said:
Is that the lights or the moonroof controls that are falling down?
The moonroof control panel, which on mine now has the UGDO "implanted". There are a series of plastic molded clips on each side, and the edge facing the rear of the car. Most of the time the right side has popped out and I just click it back in. That's when I've noticed that the rear-facing clips don't seem to really do anything, like I need to slide the whole panel rearward a bit. Today I saw where the wire connects to the UGDO. It's actually a wrapped harness of wires, and I'm wondering if it might be applying a bit of downward pressure that wouldn't be there without that connection. I'm going to pop the whole thing out again and check it a bit further.

#5 · (Edited)
shizat63 said:
Mine didn't give me a problem. Maybe your's isn't sitting right.

http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_valentine_v1.shtml

* Line up the rear edge of the univ. transmitter panel with the back endge of the opening (see image).
* Push the panel up into place - it will snap in when properly seated - DO NOT FORCE IT!
Oh, interesting. I've been lining it up from the front first and that's probably why the rear tabs aren't engaging. The picture is good -- I'll try it again from the rear edge first. Actually, I never really disengaged the whole thing until it all fell out this morning, so maybe the rear tabs haven't really been engaged since they installed the UGDO. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.