BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Mrs Dunderhi plans to stay home next time...

32K views 380 replies 41 participants last post by  SuperTerp 
#1 ·
... we go car shopping.

So, last week I noticed an ever so minor squeak coming from somewhere just behind my left ear in the 550. I've checked my safety belt mount, the door frame, checked the plastic bits, the rubber bits, and I just can't seem to find it. After a few days Mrs Dunderhi confirmed that it actually existed and that I wasn't making it up. So the obvious next step was to think about a new car. ;)

Since we currently have two sedans in our garage we figured we might due for a change to something more utilitarian like an X5 and something less utilitarian like a Z4. Best of all, a fully loaded X5 5.0 and a Z4 35is would combine for a lower total lease payment than my current 550 loan payment. Heck, there would even be an extra $30 of equity we can cash out of the deal. Well, if it lowers the monthly payments, then Mrs. D is all for it, so she said let's go car shopping.

I recommended we start with the competition, as we enjoyed our previous MB SL & GL. At the MB dealer, I started to check out the SLK and it wasn't even 30 seconds before a CA swooped down to start telling me about obvious factoids, like "it has a folding hard top". Geez give me a break! After a few minutes, Mrs D grew weary of the CA and ventured off on her own. I'm a bit more tolerant and let him hover over me as I checked the car out. When I was done with the SLK, I decided to check out the SL550. Mrs D intercepted me and declared that there was a car that I really needed to see. I told her I really wanted to check out the SL550 that I had in my sights. She followed me to the SL, but she kept saying that there was something I really needed to see. Well after I got done with my thorough inspection, I indulged Mrs D and followed her over to a diamond white SL63. It had the carbon fiber tidbits, 19" front/20" rear wheels, the performance pack, and other options giving it a healthy sticker price of $168k. She has good taste in cars; luckily there wasn't an SLS vert on the showroom floor. I was sold, but she wasn't done, because she wanted me to follow her to a GL450. Although I was still drooling over the SL63, the CA started drooling in overdrive and he asked me if I wanted to buy an SL63 AND a GL? I rolled my eyes, thought to myself, well maybe, but not from you. :rolleyes:

After I had enough of the annoying CA we ventured over to the BMW dealer around the corner. I went straight to the Z4 and wouldn't you know it, Mrs D found the M6 vert and wanted me to see it right away. The M6 was very nice, but I had to remind her that she was there to check out the X5! Eventually we made our way to an X5. We met with a very helpful CA who knew his BMWs and quickly realized I knew my BMWs. We got along. After some good exchanges we ended our discussion about when we thought the ED M6s will no longer come out of allocation and a good deal can be struck. He was eager to strike a good deal ASAP, but I am hoping to be patient... well I guess it depends on whether or not I can find that squeak.

Anyway, I started the day, thinking that we can get a X5 for Mrs D a not too expensive toy for me, but now I can't decide between an SL or an M6. If only Mrs D stayed home. :rofl:

P.S. Tomorrow morning, Mrs D plans to ride in the back seat of the 550 to locate and silence the squeak, so she doesn't have to listen to me say, "but honey, you told me I just had to look at the SL63" for the next 39 months. :D

See less See more
#345 ·
Congrats Dunderhi on picking two great vehicles!!

#349 ·
This is one of the finest two BMW stables I have seen. Congrats. I didn't know that the all led headlamps were available on the x5, but they really transform the front end of the car and make it much more aggressive. I would def get the oil changed after break in.

#351 ·
Thanks! Now you have introduced a moral quandry for me. I leased the X5M, so do I spend $150 to theoretically help out the next owner or just rely on BMW knows best? I had my 550xi's oil tested around 11kmi and it wasn't too bad, but 17kmi would have been pushing it according to Blackstone.

You can take plenty of pictures in 7 years.
Yes I could, but I would rather put a collective 105kmi on 3 different $100k cars and spend about about $175k less. I guess I'm just not a Ferrari type of guy. :(

#357 ·
Here's a somewhat overdue update:

The 650xi ED is all set-up for Feb 7th. Since I was able to buy this car for about $4k under ED invoice (after rebates) I decided, I should do this trip on the cheap too. ;) UA is flying me first business direct for 100k frequent fliers miles, Hilton will give me a place to sleep for 180k points. The most expensive item will be the traditional drive by Rolf from the airport. He doesn't offer a frequent rider discount. :rofl:

This is my fourth ED, so I don't have much planned as of yet. I'll do a couple of factory tours (Munich & Dingolfing), hang out in downtown Munich for the three days of fasching festivities, and naturally break my car in on the Autobahn. :drive:

The X5M? It is doing well and Mrs D finds it to be an acceptable mode of transportation. Both bikes fit behind the back seats. :thumbup: I had to swap out the RFTs and find some lighter wheels (trimmed 60lbs), but the ride and road feel is greatly improved. I also didn't like the chrome surround on the kidney grills, so I had some carbon black surrounds made.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Sorry for the lower quality "after" cell phone pics, but I usually don't carry the Nikon with me. :eek:

#358 · (Edited)
Huhuh, it is a brute,
With or without a gleaming nose,
It will never be a beaut,
But coming april you' ll drive one of those.

Seriously, it is a shopping cart, bike transporter.
No need to go altering the trim.
I think it swallows more petrol than our old RR does when traling the boat, do you stamp on it?
Or is it the Mrs?

#359 · (Edited)
It does have an "M" button and it makes a difference. It has the jerk you into the back of the seat feeling that the 335d has when you nail it.

#361 ·
Well today was supoposed to be a sad day: the day I sell the 335d. I visited Carmax first to get a baseline price. To my surprise it was a bit more than I expected, given that Mrs D dropped the bike rack on the hood this past Fall and left to prominent dents. The repair estimate was $1k, but I thought it better to leave them there rather than have the inspector determine it was repainted a ding me big time for being in an accident. I digress, so I went to a BMW dealer and they had a freeze on buying cars and they suggest I go to Carmax. :yikes: Finally, I called my CA and told him I was looking to sell my 335d. He said come on in and that I should pick up my 650 while I was there. WHAT? It's been 31 days since I dropped it off in Munich. Well, it had arrived yesterday and they put it in the shop to fix a HUD issue that I noticed while in Germany (the exit images were flickering). Anyway, my baby is home. The badges and the 351M/GY RFTs are coming off and as luck would have it, my Cocomats from the 550 fit in the 650. :D

Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Personal luxury car

My 550 was a 2011, so didn't have the full-color HUD, which by the way, I really like. :thumbup:

Road Lane Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

As I was driving home I passed a car transport full of BMWs to be delivered to their equally excited owners

Transport Truck Vehicle Motor vehicle trailer truck

Now the downside: I sold the 335d to my dealer, so my New Holland tractor is my only deisel, which should make :angel: happy. (Inside joke for us 335d owners. ;))

#364 ·
Thanks. The dealer beat Carmax by $500, so I was happy, especially since both offers were higher than Kelly Blue Book. I paid about $45k in 2010 and got $27.5k in 2013 42.5kmi on teh odometer. I think it would have worked out to be about the same if I had leased it.

That hud is amazing compared to the older ones :yikes:

Get some interior shots for us :D
Ask and ye shall receive. ;)

Land vehicle Car Speedometer Gauge Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle

Land vehicle Car Car seat cover Vehicle Car seat

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Car seat

#365 ·
Sweet, what will you do to this car?

#368 ·
After I put on the BBS RGRs and the Michelin PSS, I'll make a quick determination if I need to get the Dinan Shockware or not. After that, I'm in the same boat as the 535 guys and I'll need to wait for the Dinan tune to be released.

Beautiful!
Thanks.

Contrast is great, its subtle but noticeable :thumbup:

Ok I shall have it here at my house at 10:30 after my lunch so I may give our members MY review of your car :rofl:
Don't laugh too hard, I probably let half a dozen guys drive my 550, so maybe you will be the first to drive the 650. Maybe we can get a MD/DC meet-up when the weather is nicer. ;)

#366 ·
Beautiful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App

#371 ·
What a beautiful car (both inside and outside). AW/Cinnamon really go great together. The interior does not look too different from a F10 though. Maybe the differences are in the details?

#374 ·
which model interceptor is on sale, and where?

#376 ·
I have had very good luck with my Blinder HP-905 quad system for those interested in jammers. Much smaller heads compared to the LIs. Apparently earlier models of the HP-905 had issues but there was a software update in december and compared to recent testing the Blinder does just as well as the LIs.

#379 ·
Hmmm, 640 or 650, coupe or convertible ... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.