BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Today on my Bimmer I...

Tags
:3
819K views 11K replies 438 participants last post by  tomwas 
#1 ·
ive seen this type of thread on my toyota forum and it ends up being good.:thumbup:

anyways i'll start i guess, today i cleaned the wii out of my car and attempted to put my grilles in:)

#3,872 ·
lmao, as today mine's FILTHY! (Drove through not one, but two construction sites, dust covering every inch of my poor girl).
TOmorrow I'll wash her before the weekly meet.

#3,877 ·
I was told in the pic of your ride thread to post what you have done lately in this thread. Just completed this project so I thought I would share. Love the site so far, albeit I am brand new :thumbup:

I started purchasing the necessary items needed for this about 3-4 weeks ago. I seem to have stumbled on some "extra time" if you will so I thought I would embark on a journey of professional fiberglass speaker box fabrication. Before I get any hate language about the choice in speaker and amp, I wanted sound quality like the Harmon Kardon subs in my wives x5, so I didnt go with a ported box or large speakers. Turned out exactly like I wanted it to! Sounds great!

PS. Sorry for the blurry pics, Cell phone and hours upon hours of work your hands get tired and you dont exactly hold still

Started out with this, standard trunk :)

Taped down to block fiberglass resin from getting on the carpet. Helped to
create the mold.

First layer of resin and cloth laid down

Mold pulled out of car

Second or third coat, cant remember

Base mold completed and test fit in trunk

Cut out the MDF to mount the speaker to. Shaped to fit so I could marry the MDF and fiberglass

First coat of 'glass to marry to the wood

Backside of box, fourth marrying coat laid down

Test fit into car as complete box, unfinished

Carpeted and uncut for speaker to be remounted

Finished product outside of car

Inside the trunk. Ignore the amp.

I didn't take any pictures during the build process of the amp shelf/rack as that was rather simple. Just cut out the pieces I needed from the remaining 1/2" mdf I had and screwed and glued it together.

Here are a couple pics of it outside the car before I mounted it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And this is the best picture from the same angle I have taken all the other shots. How's how much room I still have and everything is stealthy, or at least as factory as possible

#3,879 ·
All these pictures are making my internet freak out, lol, can't load them all.

However from what I see you did a nice job, it's almost exactly what I want, a small sub on the side in the truck.
Sorry! I knew it might be a 56k style nightmare... I should downsize the last few of them as well... Thanks! I actually started with a sub far too small, and have since upgarded one size larger than what is in those pics. I didnt want a lot of boom, had the two 12" subs in my car in high school and have since come to enjoy the compliment of sealed subwoofer bass and not ear bleeding sounds.

#3,880 ·
Very clean install, looks good :)

Matt get new interwebs :stickpoke

#3,885 ·
You (new helrot guy don't know your name yet) should hook up with the pacific northwest crew and make the trip to bimmerfest in Pasadena this year. I wanna see your car in person :D

#3,890 ·
Orly? Where do I hook up with said PNW crew? I realize I can use the search function but I thought I would address you since you mentioned it. Is there a specific section they all hang out it, or a specific thread?

#3,889 ·
:lmao:

Where do you get these things?

#3,893 ·
fiveohwblow, outstanding pictorial on the sub build. That is an exceptionally clean looking installation! :thumbup:

Ryan, I agree, the rims look great, but not on delphin...

#3,897 ·
fiveohwblow, outstanding pictorial on the sub build. That is an exceptionally clean looking installation! :thumbup:

Ryan, I agree, the rims look great, but not on delphin...
Thanks! I keep apologizing for the crummy pics, I was using my iPhone for quite some time because I took our point and shoot to the dunes and got sand all over it and it quit working :banghead: What did I expect right...:dunno:
Thank you sir! I will check it out.

#3,906 ·
Oh right, I forgot the TIs didn't get any of the fun gadgetry in 96.

I'm considering getting those. I tried RainX a zillion years ago on my GTO when I was in high school and hated it. Every time the wipers went across the windshield, it left a thin film of nearly microscopic water droplets & air bubbles in their wake. I think RainX has gotten better in the intervening oh, um, 14 years however. I've heard decent things about the RainX wiper blades.

I just bought Bosch Icon blades a few months ago, and they are total RUBBISH. They started streaking the day after I bought them, which is especially frustrating because they are just about the most expensive wiper blade on the market. They also didn't perform very well in a mild winter storm (icing).
Yeah, RainX must have come a long way because for awhile I was using it instead of wipers (my old wiper blades were that bad) and it kept my windshield completely clear.

Glad to hear people like these blades, I figured that for $3 more than Wolly World's house brand I could hardly go wrong.

Are there any negative side effects to leaving SeaFoam in an engine for a week or two? I want to do it before I change the oil, but I only drive 50-60 miles per week and it's all in town. The website said it could be left in for a couple hundred miles, but I wanted to make sure it would be okay if those miles were spread out over a week or two.

#3,905 ·
Today, I did an oil change and washed/waxed my car instead of installing my new shocks and springs since I am still waiting on a couple tiny bits to arrive. Also, I put my summer wheels on, even though they will have to come back off again to install the suspension components.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.