BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Noob needs some help from the experts X5M questions

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  originalgoods13 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I had many sports cars and thought I was over them but I still miss the power and fun. I started thinking about the C7 Z06 but then I drove a friends 2014 Jeep SRT8 and I really loved the idea of a high performance AWD SUV. I am not here to start a flame war or any problems. I think both trucks are bada$$. Personally I like the look of the BMW a little more and It's so hard to say no to a AWD with a twin turbo V8. Ironically next to my house we have a good tuning shop that works on just Jeeps and BMW (Auto couture) I could do the X5M and do a tune and exhaust and call it a day.

I currently have a 2012 AEV Wrangler lifted with 35's. I thought I would do a lot of off roading but I don't and I miss the speed and power of my old sports cars. I figured with the X5M or SRT8 I could have lots of fun daily with it and have a winter set of rims and snow tires. Best of both worlds.

I have never owned a BMW and whatever I get I want to keep it for a long time. I am unfamiliar with BMW ownership cost and maintenance cost and long term reliability. I guess I just wanted to know if I went with the X5M and purchased a BMW gold warranty I would be good. I have 2 more years left to payoff my wrangler (I could pay if off now) but i'm just waiting and watching the market. I seen the Porsche Cayenne Turbo and the Range Rover sport SVR but the only two I really seen to love are the beemer and the jeep. Any advice or info would be appreciated :thumbup:

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi, purchasing one that is still under factory warranty should get you covered on the unexpected issues that can happen to any vehicle, but more often on a high performance vehicle. If you are a good DIY, look around for parts online so you have a general idea of how much items cost, for the ones that are out of factory warranty.
It is a gamble, though you are getting quite a deal on the older ones, in most cases they are out of warranty and you have to be willing to cough up some money on the first year of ownership.

From what I have been reading, the direct injection injectors can be a culprit and could set you back several thousands especially if the cylinder head is affected

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.