BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

End of the year decision: 535xi or 550xi? (both drivers chime in)

6K views 66 replies 35 participants last post by  cordoor 
#1 ·
This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and helped with making the sound decision of waiting for my current lease to expire and wait for larger end-of-year incentives to lease my first BMW. I test drove the 535xi w/ m-sport and a few other packages. However, after reading some additional older threads about "535 vs 550", I can't help but wonder if I should have a "balanced" car with the 535 or a "beast" with the 550i. Here's some background:

1.) I work in sales, so I do about 18-20k per year and spend about 50/50 highway city when making my drives. (I will be leasing for 36 months and 18k.)

2.) I've had an 2006 Infiniti M35 sport rwd, 2009 Infiniti FX 50 awd, and 2013 Lexus GS 350awd as my last vehicles. I really enjoyed my M35 due to the sport suspension and my FX 50 due to the raw power under the engine. The Lexus was a nice change, but it was flat out boring to me...and still is.

3.) MPG is a small concern but anything was better than my FX 50 (14/20). What is everyone with the 535 / 550 getting overall?

4.) I've read past "Dynamic Handling Package" threads and heard this is a very good option to add on. Does the M-sport package come with the m-sport suspension on the awd model? Is it worth the 3,100?

5.) Anyone have regrets going from going with 535 or 550?

Thanks for your input!

See less See more
#2 ·
I tried 550 once. I screamed no more. It wouldn't be better than 14/20. I know some people do get better than that but with very careful driving, then I ask what's the point to get 550i.

#8 ·
Yep. After my E92 M3 and my E70 x5M I can say that I agree. Never again will I drive 40-50k a year (between two cars) and get 11-19 mpg. I love the performance, but quickly grew tired of the almost daily fill ups.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#5 ·
May be a consideration, but the hp difference of 255 vs 300 is a low point. Quick power off the line but not sure what it will be like on the highway.

#6 ·
between these two, you guessed it - the 550i

we all have our reasons but if you're like me, it goes like this:

- Weight not an issue, slight nod to the 535 but the F10 is a big car no matter how you slice it
- Didn't want to wish I had gotten a 550 everytime I'd see one pass by
- Gas mileage least of my priorities. I work 12~14 hr days, some weekends and business trips. With the limited amount of time I have to enjoy my car, I'd do myself a disservice thinking about saving gas
- I like having massive torque/power you never know when you'll need it, someday it might just save you
- Money no object
- Get the passive M-Sport suspension, you will thank yourself
- Get Alpine white, you will thank yourself again

let us know how you get on.

#9 ·
between these two, you guessed it - the 550i

we all have our reasons but if you're like me, it goes like this:

- Weight not an issue, slight nod to the 535 but the F10 is a big car no matter how you slice it

- Didn't want to wish I had gotten a 550 everytime I'd see one pass by

- Gas mileage least of my priorities. I work 12~14 hr days, some weekends and business trips. With the limited amount of time I have to enjoy my car, I'd do myself a disservice thinking about saving gas

- I like having massive torque/power you never know when you'll need it, someday it might just save you

- Money no object

- Get the passive M-Sport suspension, you will thank yourself

- Get Alpine white, you will thank yourself again

let us know how you get on.
Does the m sport package come with the m sport suspension or are you referring to the dynamic package?

#16 ·
I'm a former "road warrior" ... typically driving 45K-60K miles annually. But even my BMW 740's, driven conservatively, could eek out 20mpg. And given the large gas tank on the 7'ers I wouldn't have to hunt down a gas station every other day. However, the F10 gas tanks are a bit smaller so driving range is a consideration for any "road" car. That said, my 535xDrive easily delivers 25+ mpg (not unusual to pull 450+ miles on the highway between fill-ups) and it's quick enough to move up or out of any traffic situation. I'm personally not needing to get 0-60 one to two seconds quicker or outrun a trooper playing laser tag!

That said, when I went from my 740 Sport to my last e60 - a 530xi - I really really really missed my V-8!! Today, with the '13 535xDrive, not so much!

#17 ·
535i xDrive will be much better in terms of fuel efficiency. 550i xDrive MPG will be similar to the cars you***8217;ve previously owned. Both will be miles ahead in terms of driving pleasure :)

ABSOLUTELY get the Dynamic Handling Package. The base xDrive suspension sucks. It***8217;s the best $3500 you***8217;ll spend on the car. Go to - http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006314 - and read up on why DHP is the best suspension. Since you***8217;re getting an xDrive car, it***8217;s your only choice of an upgraded suspension and I would never ever order a car without DHP***8230;so get it!

Zero regrets, but then again we haven***8217;t received the car yet (2 more months!).

#18 ·
ABSOLUTELY get the Dynamic Handling Package. The base xDrive suspension sucks. It's the best $3500 you'll spend on the car. Go to - http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006314 - and read up on why DHP is the best suspension. Since you're getting an xDrive car, it's your only choice of an upgraded suspension and I would never ever order a car without DHP….so get it!
Man, sorry to hear my new car sucks. What was I thinking?

#20 ·
OP - since you asked for owners opinions - I never test drove 550 but I don't feel I'm missing anything with my 535. It has plenty of power for my taste, I floor it - it flies. Most of the time I don't get anywhere near the limit of available power. Don't think you'll regret it if you go this way

#22 · (Edited)
2.) I've had an 2006 Infiniti M35 sport rwd, 2009 Infiniti FX 50 awd, and 2013 Lexus GS 350awd as my last vehicles. I really enjoyed my M35 due to the sport suspension and my FX 50 due to the raw power under the engine. The Lexus was a nice change, but it was flat out boring to me...and still is.

3.) MPG is a small concern but anything was better than my FX 50 (14/20). What is everyone with the 535 / 550 getting overall?

4.) I've read past "Dynamic Handling Package" threads and heard this is a very good option to add on. Does the M-sport package come with the m-sport suspension on the awd model? Is it worth the 3,100?

5.) Anyone have regrets going from going with 535 or 550?
2.) If you like "sport suspension" in your cars, get the DHP. xDrive's don't get the M Sport suspension, so DHP is your only suspension upgrade option.
3.) I have a 535i RWD M Sport. I average 19.x MPG but I have a lead foot. Some people report mid-20's but I don't get anywhere near that unless on the highway and not using the fun pedal at all.
4.) DHP probably worth the $3100 since xDrive Msport is only appearance, only RWD gets the suspension upgrade. If I was getting an xDrive, and the $3k was an issue, I'd probably spend it on the suspension instead of the cosmetics. But the Msport looks great (shadow trim instead of chrome, and the body kit), if you can swing both packages.
5.) No regrets. I drove a 550 and it sure was a beast, but the 535 is still plenty fast, you just need to downshift more, which is still fun with the excellent transmission and paddles. It's over 100 in no time, and the engine makes great sounds.

#24 ·
I had a 135i before I bought my 550. I tried the 535, but it was the same engine I was used to but with an extra 800 lbs to pull, so I was unimpressed. The 535 diesel has good torque off the line, but the 550 is faster and for me it was the best choice of the three because it was the most fun to drive.

I did a road trip a couple of months ago of about 300 miles - incl. a traffic jam, then a mix of freeway and backroads, and I averaged 23.5 mpg (an hour of stop and go killed the economy, but it wasn't too bad all in all. I average 18 mpg after a few months of ownership, 50/50. If mileage is a huge concern, you may be better off with the 535. If you can live with 18mpg, get the 550 hands down. BTW, I have Xdrive and DHP.

#25 ·
E60 535 (gone) / F10 550 driver here. After a few years in the 535, I longed for more power, so switched to the 550. One of the best things about the 550 is the effortless power delivery. There is always an enormous amount of power immediately on tap without having to downshift. I like this.

What I will admit to not liking is that, because there is so much power, it does cause a bit of anxiety when driving around town and even on the freeway when you know the power is there but you can't use it. I don't know how to describe the feeling but you always want to put your foot down so it is a constant battle to not do this, or do it at the right time, or find excuses to do it (e.g. unnecessarily switch lanes and gun it past someone for a second or two, only to have to back off, then stop at a light, and them pull up next to you).

If I were to get another F10 when my lease is up (right now I'm considering a 435 of some kind, either GC or vert), then I would probably get the 535 instead for the above reason.

My biz partner has an F10 535 and it is nice. It feels a bit more goldilocks. The engine and exhaust note sound a bit better. A bit better gas mileage. The tranny feels a bit quicker (especially 2nd to 3rd, which feels a bit clunky in the 550). And no anxiety of the kind I describe above.

I think you would be happy with either, really. But my recommendation would lean towards the 535.

#33 ·
In a way, yes - I'd say this is due to some disappointment in the F10 535's power and handling, coming from the E60. That feeling is completely gone after moving up to the 550, despite the increase in weight, especially in the nose.

Also, though, I was dissatisfied with the appearance no-line base model of my 535, and going with M-sport and eh executive package in the 550 fixed that. Of course, M-sport is also available with the 535, as is the Jet Black color I selected, so that shouldn't be determinative for you.

Some commenters here seem to trash the 550xi w/o DHP. I can't really comment too much on that, since I haven't driven a DHP-equipped car. But it IS surprising to learn that the car I am enjoying driving so much sucks, and really isn't worth having. I'd better avoid driving a car with DHP in that case, to avoid terminal buyer's remorse. <end of rant>

Returning to the topic, you really can't go wrong with either car, and congratulations on narrowing your choice to these two (or three, if the 535d is in the picture) great cars.

#27 ·
Go with the 550. The wife has the E60 535, which is a great car, and it is plenty fast. But the 550 is a whole different level of available power. It is truly a joy to drive. (I traded my E60 550 for the F10 550.) If I had gone with the 535 I'm sure I would have liked it, except that I would always be thinking "what if" every time I saw a 550 - the car I really wanted. Love this car.

#49 ·
go with the 550. The wife has the e60 535, which is a great car, and it is plenty fast. But the 550 is a whole different level of available power. It is truly a joy to drive. (i traded my e60 550 for the f10 550.) if i had gone with the 535 i'm sure i would have liked it, except that i would always be thinking "what if" every time i saw a 550 - the car i really wanted. Love this car.

Sent from bimmerapp mobile app
+100

#29 ·
I'm on my second 550i. Still awaiting redelivery from ED, but it should be any day now. In both cases, I went with RWD, even though they are not common around these northern parts. Have the snows for the winter.

Overall I average about 18-20 in my normal driving circuit, which is a lot of local driving. I do like to floor it frequently from a stop. The seamless passing power is also intoxicating. The extra 45 HP in the 2014+ is a nice addon, making the delta between the 535 and 550 145 HP. There is no getting around the fact that this is a heavy sedan, but I was able to throw it around the Nurburgring with the passive 704 suspension pretty nicely. With more leisurely driving on a highway trip, I get 24-26 MPG. The tank is not huge, so the overall range is not too great.

The 535 is probably more balanced. By comparison, I've been driving V8 cars for a while now. My first V8 powered car had 302 HP in a 2004 MB E500, nearly the same as the 535.

#31 ·
These are all great posts...thank you all. I'm very curious on how a 535d would compare. I briefly test drove one, but it was bare stock and didn't seem fun initially. If I can take advantage of the 420lbs of torque and 25 mpg city, it would make a pretty good case. Not to mention, an additional 1,000 eco-credit to go on top of 1,000 UDE and (hopefully) 1,500+ holiday credit. From my test drive, I didn't hear the diesel engine until I actually popped the hood.

I've also decided to add the Dynamic Handling in conjunction with the M-sport package (and a few other packages.) Does it take 90 days to build one from the factory? And if I decided to build one, would I just put a down payment and negotiate once the vehicle gets there or prior to vehicle arrival? I'm just thinking if I order in October and miss a larger incentive in the following end months, I would kick myself in the head.

#32 ·
And if I decided to build one, would I just put a down payment and negotiate once the vehicle gets there or prior to vehicle arrival? I'm just thinking if I order in October and miss a larger incentive in the following end months, I would kick myself in the head.
Down payment of $500 up front is typical. With BMW, you negotiate and lock in your rate and incentives at the time the order is placed. Then, if rates go down and/or additional incentives become available at the time of delivery, the dealer should let you know so that you can take advantage. Basically, the up-front negotiated price, rate, and incentives are the worst you can do.

The board sponsors give great deals. I worked with Jeff Martz of BMW of Lincoln (not a board sponsor) and he was great. You should get a no-need-to-negotiate deal from any of these guys.

#36 ·
As much as I loved the power in my FX 50 I remember hating the mpg, which is why I ended up trading it in. Sounds like I may steer towards the 535 with m sport, vdc, cold weather, and some other packages. I would stronger consider the 535d but when I searched the diesel forum, I kept reading horror stories about 3 series Diesels giving a lot of problems. Probably another search but is that all of BMWs diesels versions or just tied to the recent 3 series diesels?

I will probably avoid test driving the 550 to ensure I don't end up making a last min jump to it. Haha.

#38 ·
Whenever someone asks 535 or 550 I always recommend the 550 because it is the most fun, but in your case, I would honestly say 535. I only drive 8-9k per year and the gas mileage still bothers me, I could only imagine how annoying it would be if I had to stop at the pump even more frequently.

#39 · (Edited)
If you can afford it go for the 550i which is amazing.

I'm a big fan of the 535i and almost bought one but you can feel the difference with a 550i...a more powerful engine is not only better acceleration and top speed.

I never understood the concerns about fuel economy from people buying 70k cars...the "more frequent stops to fill up" is a sorry excuse.....is the dollars that bother them not the stops

Someone may tell you that their 528i or 535d is almost the same, no much different in driving feel....they either do not know what they are talking about or they "have to like" their ride for other reasons.

Good luck for your choice.

#40 ·
JPZeller, I notice you have the 2014 model year. Respected members such as Sonicendeavour have stated that BMW improved the standard suspension in MY2014. So much so that there is not much difference between the lauded 704 M Sport Suspension and the 2014 standard suspension. Believe it or not a few posters have stated they prefer the 2014 standard to M Sport. As for DHP some like it and some don't. There was a furore last year when BMW omitted M Sport Suspension from early MY 2014. Some refused to be pacified by going for DHP. It was M Sport Suspension or bust!
My conclusion is one must try the available suspension options before making a decision.

Regarding the OP, if highway driving will be prevalent then the 550i is the better option. I can't afford an M5 so I'll go for a RWD M Sport with M Sport Suspension by the year's end (if I can get the finance together....so many other priorities).

#42 ·
It's not that hard. The 535 is a very adequate engine. With a slight modification like a Burger Motorsport Tune, it is a good improvement. You will not notice the difference in every day driving. If you are going to envy everything with 550 on it, buy the 550. If you like the car, get the sports package, adjustable dampers, and enjoy it, with a 535.

#43 ·
JPZeller since your car is x-drive it comes with standard suspension. Luckily for you, the standard suspension was upgraded for the 2014 model year, which is the year for your car. The standard suspension for MY2014 drives better than the standard for MY2013. So much so that many feel there is no longer any need for DHP.

You should take note that the complaints were geared at pre-2014 model years. I have not heard one complaint about a 2014 standard suspension 5 series. However, I have heard both complaints and praises for DHP. One fine day you should try a 2014 550i xDrive with DHP. You may well find you're not missing much!

#44 ·
Its an easy decision for me...

I bought a BMW because I love POWER + Control. There is quite simply no other car that has both of these elements as well balanced in this price point (yes, that includes Audi).

Since POWER is a luxury that I wanted -- no matter how seldom I may fully exploit it -- it was always the 550xi for me (snowy weather).

One test drive and I was hooked. True - the 535 performs well at lower speeds is just as torquey but you feel it flatten 65-70mph.... The 550 is just warming up at that speed....;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.