Software update destroyed battery module - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: i3
Software update destroyed battery module

Prior to recently turning in my 2014 i3 leased vehicle, I had a "check engine" light that came on. Multiple threads indicated this was a software glitch and should clear itself, but after a week watching the light come on, I called the dealer. He suggested I bring the car in for a software update.

I got a call that evening telling me that in the update, the battery management unit module failed. A thorough investigation, including video scoping the fuel line to confirm there was no electric static fault, found that the module failed during the software installation.

The fix is rather complex, involving dropping the battery to get to the module, then a replacement of the entire assembly and re installation of the battery pack.

From my point of view, they gave me a free loaner for the week it took and of course, no charge for all the work.

However, I have never heard of this type of failure, or found any threads on any site indicating this is a possibility.

I questioned the dealer if the service tech didn't mistakenly fail to perform the update correctly and caused the failure. His answer was, of course, these things just happen.

This software update was a multi thousand dollar fix.

My question is, has anyone heard of such a problem. They told me they could not give me the damaged part as BMW corporate insisted that it be sent back for evaluation.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2017, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2015\2016 i3s, F10 535d
Eh... Not likely my friend. The CSCs(Cell Supervision Circuits) are not actually on any of the main bus lines. They are on a series connected 1 wire LIN bus and all communicate with the SME(Storage Management Electronics), which then takes the information and puts it on one of the main CAN lines for the rest of the car to read. If there was some sort of static discharge, all the CSC modules would have seen it, as they are all connected in series.

However, there is information out there suggesting the early I3 vehicles had CSC modules installed that were less robust, and if one failed they should all be replaced if the vehicle was built before a certain date.

In this case, the modules really do fail without reason. In my 2014 BEV I had one fail on me one afternoon when trying to leave work. Drove me to work just fine that day, but the car wouldn't enter drive readiness that evening.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by God-Follower; 04-06-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Footwell modules in ICE Mini's and BMW are notorious for failing during programming sessions. No way to predict, no way to prevent. Those of us who have shops and work on them inform customers of that possibility.
Really today's techs are very good at what they do. At this point in time, it amazes me that the driving public always comes to the immediate conclusion that it is the tech that caused the problem and not the car. Our theory is "It is we humans vs. The machines". Give your tech a break, automobiles are very complex machines, "Its not your grandfather's Ford"
Road Jager
Old 04-07-2017, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: i3
Perhaps a more forthcoming and clear explanation of the issue would have resolved the problem and concern.

Simply telling someone, these things happen and no car for a week, is not an explanation.

Although I understand the sensitivity of mechanics to criticism, when there is a failure to adequately clarify the problem, skepticism arises.

As was said in Cool Hand Luke, "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search