Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
Yes I know that there is a $100 deductible which isnt too bad, but the warranty says more or less that it covers everything except consumables (fluids, brake pads, tires, etc). But then getting them to pay out is another thing and I do realize the normal maintenance is also likely not covered as this isnt a maintenance plan.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d X-Drive
I got my 2014 328d X Drive back from the dealer last night. I dropped it off to them FIVE WEEKS AGO today. It sounded like a U-Joint was bad. You can read the entire tale on my two other threads; WTF U-Joint/Differential (March 18) and BMW Technicians still just changing parts (March 23)/

Here's what they replaced:

Rear output shaft Noise still there

Both rear output shafts/axles Noise still there

Transfer case Problem fixed

I've never purchased an extended warranty and likely never would, they're essentially insurance policies. I'm sure that the parts described above would not all have needed replacing had the technician known how to do a bit of troubleshooting instead of being a parts changer, but perhaps not. Anyway a transfer case is not an inexpensive item to replace.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d, 328ix, hard bargain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman80 View Post
Yes I know that there is a $100 deductible which isnt too bad, but the warranty says more or less that it covers everything except consumables (fluids, brake pads, tires, etc). But then getting them to pay out is another thing and I do realize the normal maintenance is also likely not covered as this isnt a maintenance plan.
well, since EFG doesn't make a consumer friendly site where a consumer can readily get information on their products, it makes helping problematic. Not consumer friendly equals absolutely no business from me. stuff the $4500 in an underwear drawer and stop worrying about it.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes Benz E300D
Hi. To answer question about maintaince issues:
1. Oil leak. Oil pan replaced
2. Bloototh issues.
Only issues. Fixed under factory warranty.
328i 2013
Hope that helps.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:04 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 1335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
IMHO a majority of our cars do not need extended warranties and this is their profit. For the ones that will need work, heck the customer already put in $4500...what a deal. If you don't want to deal with out of warranty issues, just lease, own until the warranty runs out or keep the car and money until you need to use it.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich '13 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport, DHP, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport Auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim/EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Sunroof, Alarm
Mods: Tint 35%, DIY lower intake grill guard, BA Standard Coding
56K mi Apr'17
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 03-26-2017, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xdrive
2013 F30 with N26, 52000 miles. No issues other than the turbo recall. Just regular wear and tear maintenance also. Maybe lucky? I don't know, but I would have rather banked the cash and used that as my repair account.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
I had this '83 Honda Prelude in high school. I think I got it with 110k miles on it or something. It was cheap, I don't remember how much. So yeah, obviously I should have known what I was getting myself into, but I wasn't a precious snowflake whose parents bought him new cars in high school, so I lived with it. This car was a total ****ing lemon. Too many issues to list but it was basically constant problems. Constant. It scarred me on used cars for life. Again, I realize this was a $3000 used Honda that was at the time 10 years old, and not a used BMW with 40k miles on it, but all things being relative, its the same in my mind. It equates to one big hassle. A time bomb.

There is no honor for me in keeping a car for the long term that is costly to repair and maintain. None. It is in my opinion the definition of a hassle. I hear these stories of people paying thousands for these random repairs on their 6-10 year old luxury cars and I just scratch my head and ask, why? "Pride in ownership". Please, I call it digging a hole in the ground and throwing money and most of all, time, into it. My time is valuable and even if I have a CPO BMW under warranty - a 5 year old car is much more likely to be in the shop while 3 BMW 'technicians' billed at $150 an hour 'diagnose' some mystery problem and start replacing parts (there is an active thread highlighting such an issue on this forum right now) Meanwhile, 3 weeks later, I am still driving around in a 320i with roll up windows while my car gets fixed. Odds are a new car in the 1st 3 years is going to be problem free. If it isn't, its a factory defect. My last BMW has zero issues, my wifes Tiguan had 0 issues and spent a total of about 3 hours in the shop in its life (oil changes) and so far, both our new cars have been reliable; as they should be.

Aint got time for the ol' mule to start failing on me. Aint got time.

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 03-26-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: E70 Xdrive48, F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Wow the fuel tank seam crack is a scary one. So was the $210 deductible due to CPO/ESC?

Neither. I don't know why it was required. The dealer might have their own "warranty" for customers who give them crap about this kind stuff (rightfully so in my case), and they make the customer pay for the deductible.

Had to add to my list after today:

~65,000 miles, check engine light is on. Thermostat stuck open.

Good thing is I received BMW letter for extended warranty on this two days ago. I will have to make a stop at the dealer in the AM.

Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT
Old 04-04-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
I don't like extended warranties. Lots of profit are built into the prices.

Also, there are often deductibles, conditions and exclusions. You should read the warranty carefully.

Depends on which kind of car you own, and how mechanically inclined you are. If I didn't do my own work, I'd have had to pay just short of $10,000 to keep my 2009 X5 4.8i on the road for the last couple of years.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
4.5k? that's too expensive dude.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Neither. I don't know why it was required. The dealer might have their own "warranty" for customers who give them crap about this kind stuff (rightfully so in my case), and they make the customer pay for the deductible.

Had to add to my list after today:

~65,000 miles, check engine light is on. Thermostat stuck open.

Good thing is I received BMW letter for extended warranty on this two days ago. I will have to make a stop at the dealer in the AM.
Mine is also MY13 328i but the thermostat was replaced under recall. Was your also replaced, and then fails again @65k miles? There is no BMW letter for extended warranty on mine.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Depends on which kind of car you own, and how mechanically inclined you are. If I didn't do my own work, I'd have had to pay just short of $10,000 to keep my 2009 X5 4.8i on the road for the last couple of years.
Wow $10k in 2 years is a lot, so those probably are dealer prices for major repairs like transmission/engine/suspension/fuel system? Maybe that amount will shrink to $6k to $7k with indies.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Mine is also MY13 328i but the thermostat was replaced under recall. Was your also replaced, and then fails again @65k miles? There is no BMW letter for extended warranty on mine.
First time failing. I don't see recall being applied in the service history. You might be getting a letter soon (I got it over the weekend, thermostat failed on Tuesday).

Quote:
Wow $10k in 2 years is a lot, so those probably are dealer prices for major repairs like transmission/engine/suspension/fuel system? Maybe that amount will shrink to $6k to $7k with indies.
Yes, I was quoting the dealer prices. A good reputable indy should be able to do all that work for around what you quoted.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, 328ix, hard bargain
Quote:
was it a recall or was it BMW ELW? My understanding is there isn't a recall, but there is a 10yr/120k mile extended limited warranty (ELW). BMWNA is supposed to send out ELW letters, but they've been dropping the ball...it seems. I received one BMW ELW letter, but BMWNA didn't send me ELW letters for three other ELWs. Best to periodically lookup http://bmw-rp.com if your vehicle is out of new vehicle warranty or if you don't regularly take your BMW to the BMW dealership, since ELW's are noted in the key generated printout when you bring it to the BMW dealership, or email BMW NA to ask what ELWs are on your vehicle by VIN.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
was it a recall or was it BMW ELW? My understanding is there isn't a recall, but there is a 10yr/120k mile extended limited warranty (ELW). BMWNA is supposed to send out ELW letters, but they've been dropping the ball...it seems. I received one BMW ELW letter, but BMWNA didn't send me ELW letters for three other ELWs. Best to periodically lookup http://bmw-rp.com if your vehicle is out of new vehicle warranty or if you don't regularly take your BMW to the BMW dealership, since ELW's are noted in the key generated printout when you bring it to the BMW dealership, or email BMW NA to ask what ELWs are on your vehicle by VIN.
It was a "technical campaign" SIB 11 10 15 when the key was read.

So is this ELW offered in addition to the SIB? It would be cool if those affected by the SIB(and had thermostat replaced) also are covered by 10 yr/120k ELW.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=891779
Old 04-05-2017, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I'm close to buying a 2014 335i at 29K miles in the coming days. Does anybody know of any wide-known issues of the 2014 335i model that I should know? Would everyone say that the maintenance of the 328 and 335 are fairly similar?
Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
I don't like extended warranties. Lots of profit are built into the prices.

Also, there are often deductibles, conditions and exclusions. You should read the warranty carefully.
+1 odds are OP will never use a dime of the warranty money. Better off starting a found per month. If you don't use it you win with interest!

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 04-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 1335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Just last month at over 53,000 miles and after 4 yrs 5 months, fuel pump replaced (No drivetrain malfunction) from recall and under warranty.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich '13 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport, DHP, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport Auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim/EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Sunroof, Alarm
Mods: Tint 35%, DIY lower intake grill guard, BA Standard Coding
56K mi Apr'17
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
Ended up cancelling it. 4.5K was too steep for me. I could have done something for half that cost or 3K.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport 8AT
Always read, understand and follow T&Cs.

BMW insist servicing done by main dealer or they will wriggle out of an expensive claim. And they will want evidence. You cannot service yourself unless it's in addition to their minimum requirements. In which case don't disclose. Eg my first service is due 18,000m by which time I'd have done two oil and filter changes...much to the consternation of some on here.

Insurance never seams worth it especially if you are one of the lucky ones who never had to claim.

But I had one hell of a fright two Christmasses back when I was presented with a bill for over 2,000 for new turbos for my e90.

You pays your money and they take the risk.

You decide if you think it's worth it...yep...as Harry Callaghan said...do you feel lucky punk?

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search