Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 corolla S (sold)
Need a quiet BMW , 228i vs 328i

Hey guys, I used to own a 2004 BMW 328i , then I got into the 2009 E90 sedan, it was amazing VERY quiet . Well both cars were very quiet, the E90 spoiled me. Then I sold it after it had electrical issues which I regretted. I should of just replaced the footwell module as I was told... anyways, I am trying to get back into a BMW now, i just sold my most recent car ( a slow 2014 corolla). I LOVE everything about BMWs.

I went to go test drive the 2015 328i F30 sedan and I was excited, ready to buy it! But, I was so sad and dissapointed after test driving it and then another F30, I confirmed that these cars are inferior to the E90. Not only did it feel cheaper (less solid), it had WAY more road noise and with both F30s I could hear everything outside (including the windnoise which started at 35 MPH+ and got worse as I went faster).

That being said, I read online that the 228i is quieter and does not have the windnoise problem like the F30s. Is this true? How much more quieter is the 228i if it is? I would drive it but I feel a little dissapointed to even bother at this point. I am assuming that the 228i would be louder than the 328i.

I am hoping that those of you who own the 228i and been in the F30 could tell me your thoughts.
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2017, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 228i
I don't have an F30 but I can tell you I always feel my 228i is noisy. I don't think it's the wind noise but more like the road noise. I'm running on Michelin PSS which is supposed to be quiet. Maybe I'm just picky.

Also, I thought my Lexus was quieter but when I use a sound meter app to measure in both cars they had almost the same decibels. So I guess the 228i isn't much noisier.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
228 and 328 are both considered non-quiet cars
Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 PM

thanks for the replies guys, yeah, I noticed the quality has dropped signicantly with these new BMWs, I think I will go ahead and get a different sports sedan, maybe a lexus GS350. we bought the Q50 last month for my sister to go to college with, and its VERY quiet inside but i am not a big fan of Infiniti.

And the 328i was supposed to be a quiet car its a LUXURY sports sedan, its just that recently not only are they using RFT tires but they are also claiming the extra noise is "sporty" & " road feel ". Its just a marketing gimmick. The E90 had RFTs and is much quieter/solid than the F30s which is the reason why I am here.

Even when you open and close the doors you can tell the E90 has a solid heavy thud (like the mercedes C-class), the F30 feels like I just closed a camry or something.

Also, DB is not a good way to measure any kind of noise really. DB = sound pressure , which is sound pressure that the machine/microphone perceives, it does not measure frequencies, rattles,vibrations, little annoying thuds from driving over bumps/imperfections.

Last edited by richiee90; 04-19-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
228 and 328 are both considered non-quiet cars
May I ask where you saw that statement or what is it based on? Which model is considered "quiet car?"
Old 04-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiee90 View Post
thanks for the replies guys, yeah, I noticed the quality has dropped signicantly with these new BMWs, I think I will go ahead and get a different sports sedan, maybe a lexus GS350. we bought the Q50 last month for my sister to go to college with, and its VERY quiet inside but i am not a big fan of Infiniti.

And the 328i was supposed to be a quiet car its a LUXURY sports sedan, its just that recently not only are they using RFT tires but they are also claiming the extra noise is "sporty" & " road feel ". Its just a marketing gimmick. The E90 had RFTs and is much quieter/solid than the F30s which is the reason why I am here.

Even when you open and close the doors you can tell the E90 has a solid heavy thud (like the mercedes C-class), the F30 feels like I just closed a camry or something.

Also, DB is not a good way to measure any kind of noise really. DB = sound pressure , which is sound pressure that the machine/microphone perceives, it does not measure frequencies, rattles,vibrations, little annoying thuds from driving over bumps/imperfections.
Funny you said that Q50 was very quiet. My last car was a G37s and it was very noisy inside. I think it has a lot to do with what tires the car is running on. Maybe the Q50 was running on some all season tires that are not so hard. My G37s was running on Hankook V12 and the road noise was loud as hell.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlkk View Post
Funny you said that Q50 was very quiet. My last car was a G37s and it was very noisy inside. I think it has a lot to do with what tires the car is running on. Maybe the Q50 was running on some all season tires that are not so hard. My G37s was running on Hankook V12 and the road noise was loud as hell.
haha you cant compare the older generation G37 to the new Q50, these are too totally different cars, you NEED to test drive the Q50, you will be blown away by the difference. Not only is the Q50 less bumpy and quiet, the transmission/engine behaves differently. The G37 was snappy and quick and the tran. knew exactly what to do, the Q50 feels like a slug unless you mash the pedal then it for no reason downshifts hard and shoots you forward. The car has like no middle grounds. Either its constantly trying to stay under 2500 RPM to save gas or it shoots past 2.5k to 4k RPM. I found this to be very annoying lol

Also the Q50 is VERY VERY bouncy (like a suv) on the highway, its like constantly swaying because of the soft suspension in the premium sedan. But my sister is happy so thats all that matters

Last edited by richiee90; 04-19-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
haha you cant compare the older generation G37 to the new Q50, these are too totally different cars, you NEED to test drive the Q50, you will be blown away by the difference. Not only is the Q50 less bumpy and quiet, the transmission/engine behaves differently. The G37 was snappy and quick and the tran. knew exactly what to do, the Q50 feels like a slug unless you mash the pedal then it for no reason downshifts hard and shoots you forward. The car has like no middle grounds. Either its constantly trying to stay under 2500 RPM to save gas or it shoots past 2.5k to 4k RPM. I found this to be very annoying lol

Also the Q50 is VERY VERY bouncy (like a suv) on the highway, its like constantly swaying because of the soft suspension in the premium sedan. But my sister is happy so thats all that matters
I see. I've never driven one but I guess based on your opinion I don't really have to.

No wonder Q50 is on the consumer report list for one of the cars that lose most resell value after a year.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe
Consider a CPO F10 5 series. Mine was no canyon carver, but it was built like a solid piece of stone and was whisper quiet.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliCO View Post
Consider a CPO F10 5 series. Mine was no canyon carver, but it was built like a solid piece of stone and was whisper quiet.

Yes I thought about this but I did not feel like it was worth spending the extra money for the 5-series because off the maintainance and depreciation hit. As much as I love Bmws, for the price of the 2014-2015 5-series I can get a 2014 lexus GS350. I shop on offleaseonly.com btw that place has some REALLY good deals!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe
Quote:
Yes I thought about this but I did not feel like it was worth spending the extra money for the 5-series because off the maintainance and depreciation hit. As much as I love Bmws, for the price of the 2014-2015 5-series I can get a 2014 lexus GS350. I shop on offleaseonly.com btw that place has some REALLY good deals!
Fair enough. I'd think the GS would be a pretty good choice in that sense too. I'm at the point where I have no brand loyalty any longer; I drive a Tahoe (and love it) and my wife has a Mercedes (and loves it). LOTS of good cars are out there right now.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i X; 2005 X3
I guess buying a low mileage E90 is out of the question, but that's what I'd do, uh, did.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
noise f30 road wind noise

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search