Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner, shopping for a new or used BMW or just interested in cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the Bimmerfest BMW community to see.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 V70 Volvo
New to Forum

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Ok I admit, I'm a Volvo guy, However, I'm hoping to buy a BMW for my daughter in college.

I presently know little to nothing about BMW's, which one's are the best, late models, which years/models to maybe stay clear of etc.

Like the volvos, 2001 you don't go near, I like 96-00. What to look for in a vehicle inspection for BMW's

Would someone be able to steer me in the right direction so I can pick up something decent and make it to be a nice car. Not sure what I'm even looking for but I was thinking maybe a 5 series.

Thank you for your help and comments in advance.

John
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Do you have a budget and year range in mind?

Tim
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 AM

New to Forum

Hey Tim330i,

I really don't know what years/models/engines are good or bad.I guess, just like any other vehicle there are years/models/engines that are good and ones they had problems with, ie, subaru's family of 4 cyl engines, the head gasket problems around 2000, 2001, volvo all 2001 models aren't so good choices either. I guess I need to do a little research first to narrow down my search. I guess about $4-5k. I like the older 5 series style but again I don't know enough about them.

Thanks for the welcome
Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

There are issues with all BMWs, each one has it's own issues. I generally say avoid the first model year of a new generation, but otherwise I can't think of anything that stands out as years to avoid. For $4-5K I think you're looking at an E39 5 Series.

Tim
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM

New to Forum

Well I asked for info, There's a ton in your links, thanks.
A lot of E,F, and G's, a little confusing.
It may take me a while to decide. I like the E34 look. And I just read somewhere that they may be one of the more reliable models.
I'll have to narrow down my search once I understand what I'm looking at.

Thanks again
Old 04-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

The E34 is a great 5 Series but it's getting old at this point. How handy are you at doing your own maintenance work?

Tim
Old 04-21-2017, 11:45 AM

New to Forum

I've always worked on my cars, I don't rebuild engines, but I can do most things I guess.
I rebuilT an S70 GLT (top end) for my daughter a while back. That was a beautiful car.
Anyway I do work on them otherwise I wouldn't want to because maintenance on any vehicle is higher then I'm willing to pay. Anyway, you know it was done right. Like when you change the brake pads, its not just the pads, you check grease/replace whatever needs it when your there.
I would hopefully like to get one that has good bones and take it to the point where I don't have to worry about to much.
What I need is a garage.

Thanks

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > New Member Introductions
Today's Posts Search