Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport 8AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewood View Post
Thanks for the info.

I complained to BMW UK who took the issue very seriously and have instructed the local dealer to resolve the situation for me one way or another. So my car is back with the dealer and if they still can't fix it then they will look at options of a different car or a refund.

Will let you guys know the outcome.
Anything to report?

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i Sport Wagon
340 Rattling/Tapping Noises under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewdutoit View Post
Hi,

Some feedback, I got the regional technical manager out from BMW. He took the car for a drive and confirmed the noise, nothing todo with the engine in the end, he suspected 2 things

1. The cable that runs from the inside of the cabin to open the bonnet. It was touching the body in my case. They will wrap this cable to prevent it colliding with the body and conducting the noise/rattle into the cabin.

2. Second item was (I think he said fuel lines) that run close to each other and then vibrate which causes the rattling washer noise under acceleration. There is actually a BMW action (based on previous cases) for this including a part they need to order and install.

Anyway so my car is going back to get both addressed but I can confirm that nr 1 was the culprit in my scenario, just lifting the cable of the body near the water bottle improved the noise tremendously

Ill get the case no's and the actions they took

Cheers
Andrew
Very good!

I do not like hearing a dismissive answer from a dealer. A rattling noise often means a part is hitting another part in a way that isn't normal. If it''s a cable, that can mean the cable will fray and then break after enough abuse, and then whatever the cable was operating won't work for you. I'm sorry it took a regional manager to resolve it. A patient, thoughtful and conscientious technician would likely have found the problem. I don't like the dealer's attitude.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 340i M Sport Touring
I have a March 2016 registered F31 340i M Sport that I bought in October. Spotted the noise straight away and it's been back twice to Sytner. I now have their brand new demonstrator 340i as a comparison for a week and it doesn't make the same noise. Engine in the demo generally feels more refined, did BMW make some changes?
Old 01-22-2017, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 16' 340xi msport, 08 C6
My April 2016 does the tapping at part throttle as well I thought it may be wastegate related and it does sound like an exhaust manifold leak on an old car
Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 AM
Former SVB

Mein Auto: 340i 6MT
b58 w/direct injection is very noisy, but i don't have that noise in mine. let us know what you find out.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
My April 2016 does the tapping at part throttle as well I thought it may be wastegate related and it does sound like an exhaust manifold leak on an old car
This is exactly what my car sounds like. In the morning it's like there is a bad gasket on the exbaust manifold with a whistle and everything. After it warms up, it it much quiter, but when accelerating, you can still hear that abnormal tap. It has not bothered me enough because windows are always up, but planning to take it back soon since it is growing on me lately. I have a late 2015 build 340i.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 340i, Acura, Vette
I have over 25K miles and I've never heard this noise.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:34 PM

This video has the noise I get. There are two things going on here though, one is the closed flap rattles a bit in the morning. That is not a big deal, I'm sure the dealer can tighten something. The other noise is that high pitched whistel/chirp whitch is actually originating from the area around the turbo in the engine bay. It quiets down after about 30 seconds, but you can hear it on acceleration. It might be time to take it in case it is not normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM

Here is a quick update if anyone else bumps into this as part of a search. I am not sure if anyone else has gotten a resolution for this, but I couldn't take the noise anymore. It was a little embarrassing when turning on at work, on a closed parking lot, next to other comparable vehicles, plus driving with the windows down I can hear it slightly to the point I don't hear the engine. Probably OCD, but took it in and shop foreman said it is definitely not normal. After 4 weeks, and a visit from some head mechanic from Ohio, I'm from Houston, a new turbo was approved and replaced. I received the car yesterday, and today I turn on the car only to hear the same exact noise. Under medium acceleration I hear a similar tapping/squeal as well. I almost reminds me of when I had a Honda with a bad exhaust manifold leak.

Anyways, has anyone received any solution and just hasn't posted it? I feel like I will be another 4 weeks without my car only to get it back with the same issue.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestMakeWay View Post
Here is a quick update if anyone else bumps into this as part of a search. I am not sure if anyone else has gotten a resolution for this, but I couldn't take the noise anymore. It was a little embarrassing when turning on at work, on a closed parking lot, next to other comparable vehicles, plus driving with the windows down I can hear it slightly to the point I don't hear the engine. Probably OCD, but took it in and shop foreman said it is definitely not normal. After 4 weeks, and a visit from some head mechanic from Ohio, I'm from Houston, a new turbo was approved and replaced. I received the car yesterday, and today I turn on the car only to hear the same exact noise. Under medium acceleration I hear a similar tapping/squeal as well. I almost reminds me of when I had a Honda with a bad exhaust manifold leak.

Anyways, has anyone received any solution and just hasn't posted it? I feel like I will be another 4 weeks without my car only to get it back with the same issue.
I feel your pain; see my thread about 3 BMW's over three years... Engine went on one, bunch of noises on the second, done with the endless service drama.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:42 PM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 328i xdrive seda
I hate this type of post. OP arrives. Gets info and leaves with no payback(resolution).

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search