BMW cuts No Cost Scheduled Maintenance - 3 years, 36k miles and no brakes for MY 2017 - Page 17 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I think he threw in the cost of the maintenance plan on the 2017's. I'm good on brakes and I do my own oil changes. So, I don't care one bit about them dialing back on the free maintenance.

You still get one brake fluid change under the three year plan, since the three years of brake fluid life starts when the car is built and the three years of free maintenance starts when the car is bought. BMW's also good about letting you push the brake fluid change forward (earlier than scheduled).

M-B dropped their free maintenance. Lexus and Audi never had it, and are doing fine. I suspect it was people frying their brakes that caused BMW to fall back to only three years of free maintenance. My first BMW had 115k miles on the original brakes when I sold it.

I live 92 miles from my dealer, and I used to work and get paid by the hour, as much or as little as I wanted. With the drive and my time away from work, I figured that a "free" oil change at the dealer cost me about $500. I have access to a lift where I used to work before retirement.

Actually Audi was the first to offer free maintenance (but no longer do). Remember the "Audi advantage" slogan from the 90s and early aughts?
Old 01-27-2017, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4life View Post
While I'm not mechanically inclined, I'm also not stupid. I knew whenI brought it back and they said it's now the evaporator, I let them know they misdiagnosed it and I was not paying for their mistake. I feel good that they cut me a good deal in only paying a nominal charge for the evaporator.

While it was being serviced for the wheel sensors I researched it online and found I could buy the sensors for less than $200.00 and then saw a u tube video on how to install them, so yeah I could have saved over $500.00 doing it myself but like I said I'm not mechanically inclined and my luck I'd get stuck.

The problem I have is I want to trade it for a new one but now that I've spent all this cash on repairs it's hard to not just stay with it for another year or so to get my money's worth on the repair costs. I'm just praying something else costly does not happen. I've already had my I drive screen turn red and go black but it came back after I restarted it a couple hours later.
That money you spent on repairs and alleged repairs is gone. Also, if you're honest when selling a car, the money was really gone when the fault occurred, not when you paid for the repair. If you want a new car, buy one. Just know what that pleasure is costing you.

I've had my HUD come up without data several times. I've had my iDrive screen do that once. Computers sometimes hick-up at start-up. That's why they have re-set buttons, or at least ON/OFF switches.

I have a friend who used to trade-in wives every few years. That makes trading BMW's every few years seem cheap. He also leases his cars, and nice ones. He'll also be working into his mid-60's in a job he hates.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-27-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
?
I have a little bit of Forrest Gump in me. I like cutting grass. When I'm running one of my gasoline-powered implements of destruction, I carry a stop watch and track the run-time. I then put the times in an Excel spreadsheet. I have another spreadsheet in the same workbook for recording the maintenance done.

My consumer-grade, Briggs & Stratton engine lawn mower from Home Depot had 152 hours of operating time in the 18 years I owned it. I replaced it only because I now need something that bags and mulches.

My commercial-grade Honda string-trimmer is almost 17 years old, but only has 49.5 hours of run time.

I used to maintain aircraft logbooks. So, this maintenance and operating time tracking is sort of an obsession. I do the same thing with my cars, but more so: fuel, maintenance, cost summary (depreciation, maintenance, fuel, capital costs, misc. costs).

By resetting and recording the average speed when I fill the fuel tank, I can calculate the operating hours on my BMW. I don't know why I need to do this... but I can.

Frau Putzer subscribes to Consumers Report. One issue had an article on string trimmers. She was goading me, saying she was going to see how my beloved Honda stood up to the other brands. But, she was baffled that a Honda wasn't listed in the article.

"That's right, you stupid ******. My Honda isn't a consumer toy. It's commercial-grade!
Arrr, arrr, arrr, arrr..."

My latest gasoline-powered implement of destruction is a Stihl hedge clipper... commercial grade. It cost $500. But in 37.5 minutes I did some serious dejunglefication that a landscape company wanted $2k to do. The landscaper saw my new BMW in the garage and likely doubled her price. The first ten minutes of operation was low-speed break-in. The 37.5 minutes was WFO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stihl hl 100 k 135 implement of destruction.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	587880   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127 snapshop of hedge clipper logbook.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	587881  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-27-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Actually Audi was the first to offer free maintenance (but no longer do). Remember the "Audi advantage" slogan from the 90s and early aughts?
I stand corrected.

My first and last front-engine VW was this. So, I have generally ignored Audi ads... and cars for that matter. But, I must admit that the Q5 is just about the best looking small SUV around.

I'm still open to a rear-engine VW someday... the one with about 430 h.p. from a flat-six mounted in the back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1976 vw rabbbit.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	587882   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 porsche carrera s.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	587883  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-27-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:21 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
That's because no one wanted an Audi because 60 Minutes said it would accelerate on its own. Exact same reason (just not 60 Minutes that time) Toyota added 2-year maintenance a few years ago (not sure if that still exists).

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 01-27-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
That's because no one wanted an Audi because 60 Minutes said it would accelerate on its own. Exact same reason (just not 60 Minutes that time) Toyota added 2-year maintenance a few years ago (not sure if that still exists).
Before the whole alleged demonic possession thing, the Audi 5000 had the best demographics (household income of owner) of just about anything other than supercars.

Back in the 1980's GM's model with the best demographics was surprisingly the Chevy/GMC Suburban. It tuned out those wealthy Suburban owners need those trucks for hauling the family off to the country/lake/beach/mountain house for the weekend, and for towing trailers carrying toys (horses, boats, sailplanes, etc.). From that marketing study the Cadillac Escalade was born.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Before the whole alleged demonic possession thing, the Audi 5000 had the best demographics (household income of owner) of just about anything other than supercars.

Back in the 1980's GM's model with the best demographics was surprisingly the Chevy/GMC Suburban. It tuned out those wealthy Suburban owners need those trucks for hauling the family off to the country/lake/beach/mountain house for the weekend, and for towing trailers carrying toys (horses, boats, sailplanes, etc.). From that marketing study the Cadillac Escalade was born.

Yep. Interesting that Audi started it since they were the underdog but it was so popular that BMW, Mercedes and others soon followed. BMW stuck with it the longest it seems. I think Volvo and jaguar still offer something as well.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
$1M isn't what it used to be. Also, pensions are becoming a thing of the past.

Two of the other Bubba's in my lunch posse are millionaires. They hate their jobs and want to retire as soon as possible, age 57. They both currently drive older Japanese SUV, both bought used.

I suspect a lot of the threads here about BMW cutting back on free maintenance are really started by Audi, Lexus, and M-B salesmen masquerading here as BMW owner's.
Your lunch buddies' decisions to buy used motor vehicles rather than leasing or financing a new one goes a long way in explaining their current status as millionaires.

You are correct, $1M isn't what it used to be. I only cite that figure as Dave Ramsey's threshold for deeming it appropriate to buy or lease new cars.

Mr. Ramsey himself prefers to buy pre-owned Jaguars without "free" maintenance.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Your lunch buddies' decisions to buy used motor vehicles rather than leasing or financing a new one goes a long way in explaining their current status as millionaires.

You are correct, $1M isn't what it used to be. I only cite that figure as Dave Ramsey's threshold for deeming it appropriate to buy or lease new cars.

Mr. Ramsey himself prefers to buy pre-owned Jaguars without "free" maintenance.
There's always risk associated with buying a used car: wrecks, floods, demonic possession, etc,. etc., etc.

An acquaintance has a fairly new Porsche Turbo S (MSRP of around $200k) that was parked outside when lightening struck his house. The lightening went through some low-voltage outside lighting wires that went under his driveway, and the car was parked directly above the wire. I guess he only keeps his expensive cars in the garage. Anyway, the car's had massive electronic gremlins ever since. He trades cars frequently. It's also my favorite color, non-metallic white. But, there's no way in Hell I'd buy that car after the lightening near-miss. Also, I'm just plain scared of that car. I've had some track time in a non-S Turbo, and that was terrifying... and also a blast.

I'm obsessed with maintaining the paint on my cars. No used car is going to have good paint. They can refurbish paint through polishing. It looks almost as good as new. But, they've likely polished off the top of the clear coast where most of the UV blockers were. So, it doesn't look good for long if it's exposed to a lot of sunlight, like in Floriduh.

I get $3.5 to $4k rebates on new GM stuff, after my best deal from haggling with the dealer. With this, my beaters have been new GM vehicles for the last seventeen years.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-27-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 AM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 328i xdrive seda
Quote:
The landscaper saw my new BMW in the garage and likely doubled her price. The first ten minutes of operation was low-speed break-in. The 37.5 minutes was WFO.
I am not sure if it's reality but I always feel the same way. Any time I am getting a quote for any type of job I close the garage door.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykatie View Post
I am not sure if it's reality but I always feel the same way. Any time I am getting a quote for any type of job I close the garage door.
Yeah, but these cars are great for getting all the hot mommies in the 'hood to stop and talk on their trip to the mailboxes. This phenomenon has made me start taking a shower BEFORE I wash the car.

... don't want to be all stinky when the next hot mommy stops by.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 AM
2015 328x

Quote:
Yeah, but these cars are great for getting all the hot mommies in the 'hood to stop and talk on their trip to the mailboxes. This phenomenon has made me start taking a shower BEFORE I wash the car.

... don't want to be all stinky when the next hot mommy stops by.
Hmmm...good point. Seriously though the only time anyone notices my car is when I detail it. Then even I can't help but walk away backwards.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Yeah, I knew this was coming when I bought my car in 2014. My dealer said they expected this change to happen in 2016. Now pre-owned cars are a better deal than a new one since you get extended maintenance - or maybe they will kill that too.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:07 AM
2015 328x

This effects me emotionally. It makes me mad. When I am made at BMW it makes me look at other brands. When I look at other brands I get mad and say screw them and I go back to BMW.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykatie View Post
Hmmm...good point. Seriously though the only time anyone notices my car is when I detail it. Then even I can't help but walk away backwards.
My cars are pretty much perpetually detailed. "Autoputzer" is German for "car washer."

I bought my first BMW to impress me. But, it's fun to see how it effects others, especially women.

I splurged on Amaro Brown Merino leather and dark red sycamore wood this time around. The white exterior focuses your attention on the interior. The BMW configurator doesn't do the Amaro Brown justice. It's a much more vibrant color than shown in the pictures. One of the 'hood's mommies said "Can I sit in it?"

She ended up buying a VW Toureg this year... white with Terracotta leather (pretty much Amaro Brown).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014 bmw 535i configurator front seats view.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	594766   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 bmw 535i configurator dash view.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	594767  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-20-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 AM
2015 328x

Quote:
My cars are pretty much perpetually detailed. "Autoputzer" is German for "car washer."

I bought my first BMW to impress me. But, it's fun to see how it effects others, especially women.

I splurged on Amaro Brown Merino leather and dark red sycamore wood this time around. The white exterior focuses your attention on the interior. The BMW configurator doesn't do the Amaro Brown justice. It's a much more vibrant color than shown in the pictures. One of the 'hood's mommies said "Can I sit in it?"

She ended up buying a VW Toureg this year... white with Terracotta leather (pretty much Amaro Brown).
I have always avoided VW because of the gremlins.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2017 bmw, bmw, bmw dealerships, bmw news, bmw no cost maintenance, bmw warranty

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search