Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-07-2016, 06:45 AM
like2ace's Avatar
like2ace like2ace is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston tx
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 442
Mein Auto: F30 328i
Makes the current BMW owners who bought their cars CPO from a dealer last 1-2 year seem really smart !! As they got CPO from a dealer, the 4 yr warranty transferred to them from the original owner and they are covered until the end of 2018 or 2019.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-07-2016, 06:58 AM
alex2364's Avatar
alex2364 alex2364 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern VA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 297
Mein Auto: F30 335i M Sport
Between this and the mileage overage increase for leases, I'm gonna be tempted to look at other brands next time my lease is up.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-07-2016, 06:58 AM
428iAR 428iAR is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arkansas
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: 428i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I'm curious if many BMW owners make their buying decision based on this benefit.
I didn't make my decision on that benefit but it was a huge boon for me. My Audi was an utter nightmare so knowing before I even signed on the dotted line that I had pretty much zero responsibility for ANYTHING for 4yrs/50K miles with the BMW was very important.

It wouldn't have been a dealbreaker for me though. IMO there was nothing that compared to the 4GC. I REALLY wanted an IS350 F after my godawful Audi experience. The terrible multimedia interface killed it for me though. I wasn't even going to drive another car. But the interface (physical and software) was so bad it drove me to Infiniti, BMW, and MB. I didn't like the Infiniti at all, which is a shame because I love Nissan and our previous three vehicles were Nissans (Altima, Titan, Murano). The new C class was a non-starter based almost solely on the local dealership. Terrible experience. But even so the interior of the C was just a bit too "fancy" for me. That lead me to BMW. The second I drove a 3 Series the competition was over. Nothing else compared. My wife's exact words once we got back into my awful Audi was, "You have to buy that car." Of course I happened to spot a fresh off the truck 4GC in the back of the lot while looking at another 3. I knew from the second I laid eyes on it that was the car for me. Custom ordered mine days later.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Vector Pilot Vector Pilot is offline
Vector Pilot
Location: Chicago + Geneva
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 198
Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Learn the difference between maintenance and warranty. This is really not a difficult concept.
Understand the difference, no need to be argumentative. The topic of this thread refers to coverage be it maintenance and or warranty. Both of those items up to MY 2017 were covered, with exception of tires and wheels, 100%.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:01 AM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,238
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2ace View Post
Makes the current BMW owners who bought their cars CPO from a dealer last 1-2 year seem really smart !! As they got CPO from a dealer, the 4 yr warranty transferred to them from the original owner and they are covered until the end of 2018 or 2019.
The warranty coverage did not change. The maintenance coverage is what has changed.
__________________

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 AM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,863
Mein Auto: 535i
I live 92 miles from the BMW dealership I prefer to deal with. Considering the value of my time, and the $1/mile it costs me to own and operate my car, a "free" oil change costs me somewhere around $450. I also have access to a lift near my house. So, I do my own oil changes. My first BMW had 115k miles on it when I sold it, and it still had the original brake pads and rotors, and clutch. Coolant is now "lifetime." My M3 required two-year brake fluid replacement, where my 535i only requires three year brake fluid replacement. So, the new, lesser free maintenance rules would not really affect me.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 AM
tex2670's Avatar
tex2670 tex2670 is offline
You Don't Need to Know
Location: Phila
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,304
Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot View Post
Say what you wish, but prior to this announcement, all items indicated in Pink was covered by a single Comprehensive Warranty Program.
You understand the a "warranty" covers things that go wrong--defects--right? Is your car defective when you get an oil change? No--it is regular maintenance required to keep your car running properly. I don't see anything that says that BMW is reducing what's covered by warranty if there is a malfunction. If your brakes are defective, they are covered under warranty; if the wear out, you pay--it's really that simple.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission

Last edited by tex2670; 01-07-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:09 AM
tex2670's Avatar
tex2670 tex2670 is offline
You Don't Need to Know
Location: Phila
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,304
Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot View Post
Understand the difference, no need to be argumentative. The topic of this thread refers to coverage be it maintenance and or warranty. Both of those items up to MY 2017 were covered, with exception of tires and wheels, 100%.
There is no "and" and there is no "or". It's the maintenance program ONLY. There has been no announcement that the warranty period, or what is being covered under the warranty, is being reduced in any way. You are free to make whatever unsupported assumptions about it that you wish, in the face of no actual information in that regard.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission

Last edited by tex2670; 01-07-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Hound Passer's Avatar
Hound Passer Hound Passer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NoVA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,633
Mein Auto: 435i Convertible
WOW! This in tandem with the defanging of the "traditional" BMW driving feel and reduction of ED discount is going to cause me to look a lot harder at other brands next round. 3/36 is ridiculous. It says "we have no confidence in our cars."
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:28 AM
tex2670's Avatar
tex2670 tex2670 is offline
You Don't Need to Know
Location: Phila
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,304
Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
WOW! This in tandem with the defanging of the "traditional" BMW driving feel and reduction of ED discount is going to cause me to look a lot harder at other brands next round. 3/36 is ridiculous. It says "we have no confidence in our cars."
Again--maintenance is being reduced, not the warranty. 4/50,000 is pretty standard for a lux car warranty; I don't see the warranty being reduced at all.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:45 AM
LMK5 LMK5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,062
Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Man, you guys who are able to go 40-50k miles on a set of brakes baffle me. I hope this is common, because on all my Japanese cars I had to replace front brakes at around 18k miles (FWD cars). If I can get through this lease without brake work I'll be impressed.

It seems this new policy will affect dealer service revenue the most. After all, not only are they cutting the maintenance period by 25%, but they're also cutting out the most expensive services. This is going to hit them.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:48 AM
tex2670's Avatar
tex2670 tex2670 is offline
You Don't Need to Know
Location: Phila
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,304
Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Man, you guys who are able to go 40-50k miles on a set of brakes baffle me. I hope this is common, because on all my Japanese cars I had to replace front brakes at around 18k miles (FWD cars). If I can get through this lease without brake work I'll be impressed.

It seems this new policy will affect dealer service revenue the most. After all, not only are they cutting the maintenance period by 25%, but they're also cutting out the most expensive services. This is going to hit them.
Wouldn't it increase dealer revenue? Customers will have to pay the dealer the retail service costs, rather than the dealer being reimbursed by BMW, which probably uses a standard reimbursement schedule, which is very likely a lower cost than is charged to the customer (kind of like insurance reimbursements vs. doctor charges direct to patients).
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Hound Passer's Avatar
Hound Passer Hound Passer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NoVA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,633
Mein Auto: 435i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Again--maintenance is being reduced, not the warranty. 4/50,000 is pretty standard for a lux car warranty; I don't see the warranty being reduced at all.
Ah. Yes. Misread the title.
__________________

Gone but not forgotten:
'96 Z3 '00 Z3 2.8 LCI '03 Z4 3.0
'07 and '11 335i 'verts

Last edited by Hound Passer; 01-07-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:59 AM
tex2670's Avatar
tex2670 tex2670 is offline
You Don't Need to Know
Location: Phila
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,304
Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
Ah. Yes. Misread the title.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-07-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Vector Pilot Vector Pilot is offline
Vector Pilot
Location: Chicago + Geneva
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 198
Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Maintenance being reduced, Euro Delivery discount being reduced, and worst the performance, handling, styling and design of a new BMW being marginalized to appeal to wider consumer base redefines the brand as being somewhat mainstream. All of which may make enthusiasts find themselves looking at a BMW through a rearview mirror.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:09 AM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,985
Mein Auto: 2011 X5-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Man, you guys who are able to go 40-50k miles on a set of brakes baffle me. I hope this is common, because on all my Japanese cars I had to replace front brakes at around 18k miles (FWD cars). If I can get through this lease without brake work I'll be impressed.

It seems this new policy will affect dealer service revenue the most. After all, not only are they cutting the maintenance period by 25%, but they're also cutting out the most expensive services. This is going to hit them.
It all depends on the type of driving you're doing. Stop and go traffic requires a lot more brake usage than does open highway driving. Thus if your driving consists of a lot of stop and go you're going to wear out your brakes a lot sooner.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 AM
LegendsNeverDie LegendsNeverDie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,212
Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Man, you guys who are able to go 40-50k miles on a set of brakes baffle me. I hope this is common, because on all my Japanese cars I had to replace front brakes at around 18k miles (FWD cars). If I can get through this lease without brake work I'll be impressed.

It seems this new policy will affect dealer service revenue the most. After all, not only are they cutting the maintenance period by 25%, but they're also cutting out the most expensive services. This is going to hit them.
Really? I usually change the brakes around 50K in all of my cars and I constantly drive in traffic. I can see it in a FWD that uses brakes for TVD (ex. Focus ST) but my 3 series did not need new pads until about 50K and I drive in stop and go traffic all the time.

As far as the maintenance program being reduced, I don't see what the big deal is. Most people will end up getting 1 or 2 oil changes less for free and that is about it.
__________________
Perfect day...Perfect THE day.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,863
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
It all depends on the type of driving you're doing. Stop and go traffic requires a lot more brake usage than does open highway driving. Thus if your driving consists of a lot of stop and go you're going to wear out your brakes a lot sooner.
It's not just the environment you drive in. It's also how you drive. The roads are straight and flat where I live, sort of a waste of a BMW really. Under these conditions, my driving philosophy is that braking is the result of either bad luck or bad planning.

All that being said, my Cobalt needed front pads and rotors at 70k miles, with my driving habits and environment the same as my 115k-mile BMW. But, the front wheels were constantly dirty with brake dust. GM must have used a special soft OEM pad to prevent squeal. Despite this, I bought what where supposedly OEM pads when I replaced the brakes. The new ones make much less dust, though.

My 1976 VW Rabbit when through it's first set of front pads in about 11k miles, and I was easy on braking. Again, huge amounts of brake dust.

To my amazement, Frau Putzer has 124k miles on her original pads on her Honda Accord. Her Civic's pads were done at 70k.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:20 AM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,238
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot View Post
Maintenance being reduced, Euro Delivery discount being reduced, and worst the performance, handling, styling and design of a new BMW being marginalized to appeal to wider consumer base redefines the brand as being somewhat mainstream. All of which may make enthusiasts find themselves looking at a BMW through a rearview mirror.

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-07-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:26 AM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,985
Mein Auto: 2011 X5-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
It's not just the environment you drive in. It's also how you drive. The roads are straight and flat where I live, sort of a waste of a BMW really. Under these conditions, my driving philosophy is that braking is the result of either bad luck or bad planning.

All that being said, my Cobalt needed front pads and rotors at 70k miles, with my driving habits and environment the same as my 115k-mile BMW. But, the front wheels were constantly dirty with brake dust. GM must have used a special soft OEM pad to prevent squeal. Despite this, I bought what where supposedly OEM pads when I replaced the brakes. The new ones make much less dust, though.

My 1976 VW Rabbit when through it's first set of front pads in about 11k miles, and I was easy on braking. Again, huge amounts of brake dust.

To my amazement, Frau Putzer has 124k miles on her original pads on her Honda Accord. Her Civic's pads were done at 70k.
How you drive is another way to say "the type of driving you're doing".
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:36 AM
mason's Avatar
mason mason is offline
Travel Fever
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,745
Mein Auto: 535dx
BMW is making less appealing. When former CEO said that BMW needed to trim $billions in cost, I guess this is part of it.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Eagle11's Avatar
Eagle11 Eagle11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley of the Sun
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,685
Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Jag has a 5yr, 60K bumper to bumper maintenance package included this makes Jag worth looking at.
__________________
2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015

2013 320i Jet Black, Venetian Beige Dakota Leather, Premium Package, BMS Stage 1, coded goodies.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Vector Pilot Vector Pilot is offline
Vector Pilot
Location: Chicago + Geneva
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 198
Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
Jag has a 5yr, 60K bumper to bumper maintenance package included this makes Jag worth looking at.

Looked it up and correct, comprehensive bumper to bumper maintenance package plus warranty makes Jaguar worth a look.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM
JollyRodger JollyRodger is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
Jag has a 5yr, 60K bumper to bumper maintenance package included this makes Jag worth looking at.
With the Jag it's not the maintenance that matters, its the warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Vector Pilot Vector Pilot is offline
Vector Pilot
Location: Chicago + Geneva
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 198
Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodger View Post
With the Jag it's not the maintenance that matters, its the warranty.
Thanks for the heads up, Jaguar's limited warranty is an issue.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2017 bmw, bmw, bmw dealerships, bmw news, bmw no cost maintenance, bmw warranty


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms