Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Officially Something ...

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Sedan, AT, N51
Classic

Quote:
BMW realized that even BMW cannot afford to maintain BMWs ...
That is a very memorable one-liner. Classic.

Don
Old 01-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M2, X5
Nine BMWs since 2001, but this development shakes my complacency. This spring I will scrutinize alternatives that I have ignored in the past. Thank you BMW for awakening me to a new world of possibilities.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 & 911 Cabriolet MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdo View Post
That is a very memorable one-liner. Classic.

Don
Not when for many people that 4th year pretty much consists of an oil change if you have taken care of business the first 3.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Officially Something ...

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Sedan, AT, N51
Covered

Quote:
if you have taken care of business the first 3 ...
As have I.

Nevertheless, Classic.

Don
Old 01-07-2016, 03:04 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M4/X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
This is beyond comprehension. 100k miles on a set of brakes? Do you only drive uphill? I'm feeling proud of myself when I get past 20k on a set of front pads. I'm eager to see how far my 328i will go.

I've done it many times. Of course, my driving is mostly freeway driving.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:06 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M4/X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Nine BMWs since 2001, but this development shakes my complacency. This spring I will scrutinize alternatives that I have ignored in the past. Thank you BMW for awakening me to a new world of possibilities.

Capo. I did this. Took a long hard look at Audi RS5 and MBZ C63 AMGS. Still went with the M4 and my decision would not change with a 3/36 maintenance plan.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I see them as two different things: behavior and environment. I'm notorious for coasting and compression braking up to traffic stopped at a light. It's funny how many people pass me with their foot still on the gas and then have to stomp on the brakes. ... same environment, different behavior, and different outcomes.
Which is the same thing as the type of driving you're doing.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Ive had my car for 2 years and the iDrive vehicle info reading says I have over 30k miles left on my front and rear brakes. Not sure how people are going through brakes so fast unless they are tracking their cars. I'm doing a mix of freeway driving and a lot of stop and go in L.A. Maybe it is from years of driving manuals but I always allow space between myself and the vehicle in front of me, also out of courtesy since I LOATHE when people ride my ass, which is like 90% of drivers it seems like. So I'm not always slamming on my brakes or riding my brakes.

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5
Old 01-07-2016, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
The thing baffling me is how upset people are at loosing something most never even use.

No person leasing uses the 4th year anyway. And the fact that the 4th year is non transferable already means CPO buyers don't get it already. So what's the deal? So BMW is not footing the bill for an oil change at the dealer?

I guess if you lease and actually drive 15k a year you have one extra oil change to do before turn in.

You are under zero obligation to take the car to the dealer for service at any point other than recalls. I bet if BMW got rid of all maintinace dealer prices would rapidly drop for service as people head to indies.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328 X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman4358 View Post
The thing baffling me is how upset people are at loosing something most never even use.

No person leasing uses the 4th year anyway. And the fact that the 4th year is non transferable already means CPO buyers don't get it already. So what's the deal? So BMW is not footing the bill for an oil change at the dealer?

I guess if you lease and actually drive 15k a year you have one extra oil change to do before turn in.

You are under zero obligation to take the car to the dealer for service at any point other than recalls. I bet if BMW got rid of all maintinace dealer prices would rapidly drop for service as people head to indies.
I agree. people would grumble but i bet a large amount would still go back to the dealer. easier to go to a shiny dealer that also services the car, as opposed to hunting for a independent shop. also we are not taking into consideration that WE are a minority of BMW owners that really LOVE our cars and agonize over the littlest noises, creaks, etc. Most people just get in the car, press the button, and go. no consideration of warming the engine up, odd noises, performance values, etc. so people will hear no covered maintenance warranty BUT simply come to the dealer and we'll take care of it for you with BMW ORIGINAL PARTS and give you a loaner...SOLD.

Last edited by Matthew424; 01-07-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew424 View Post
I agree. people would grumble but i bet a large amount would still go back to the dealer. easier to go to a shiny dealer that also services the car, as opposed to hunting for a independent shop. also we are not taking into consideration that WE are a minority of BMW owners that really LOVE our cars and agonize over the littlest noises, creaks, etc. Most people just get in the car, press the button, and go. no consideration of warming the engine up, odd noises, performance values, etc. so people will hear no covered maintenance warranty BUT simply come to the dealer and we'll take care of it for you with BMW ORIGINAL PARTS and give you a loaner...SOLD.
All very true, except...the average buyer will barely register that the maintenance plan has changed or that brake coverage has been dropped.

Just look at these forums. Even here the majority of members have a lot of confusion. The average consumer walks into a BMW dealership almost totally uneducated about the features and benefits of BMW. And, of course, 99.8% of them have no grasp of what an inline six is, let alone what makes it superior to a V6. For people like us it's kind of staggering.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 428xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Ive had my car for 2 years and the iDrive vehicle info reading says I have over 30k miles left on my front and rear brakes. Not sure how people are going through brakes so fast unless they are tracking their cars. I'm doing a mix of freeway driving and a lot of stop and go in L.A. Maybe it is from years of driving manuals but I always allow space between myself and the vehicle in front of me, also out of courtesy since I LOATHE when people ride my ass, which is like 90% of drivers it seems like. So I'm not always slamming on my brakes or riding my brakes.

I do a lot of highway driving and idrive is showing still 50k miles for front and rear brakes after 28k miles. As many mentioned, I don't think there's a lot loss for many given it's basically oil changes.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
All very true, except...the average buyer will barely register that the maintenance plan has changed or that brake coverage has been dropped.

Just look at these forums. Even here the majority of members have a lot of confusion. The average consumer walks into a BMW dealership almost totally uneducated about the features and benefits of BMW. And, of course, 99.8% of them have no grasp of what an inline six is, let alone what makes it superior to a V6. For people like us it's kind of staggering.
very true. i bet the sales people dont even mention the change. just that the car is covered for the duration of the lease (if it's 3 years/36k) miles) OR if the lease is longer, etc, then you'll et the "dont worry, we'll get you out of the car and into a NEW BMW when the time comes." That's the response i got since my lease is 3 years/60k miles, and obviously i will be over the mileage by 10k miles during year 3....
Old 01-07-2016, 05:40 PM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 328i xdrive seda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Only on my second. Both leases but since I never know if I will decide to keep one I agree. It certainly will give me pause for thought when I go looking again. Sometimes that's all one needs to change direction.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:21 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
And the fact that the 4th year is non transferable already means CPO buyers don't get it already.
This part is not true. It's not transferrable in private party transactions. CPO comes with the balance of scheduled maintenance from the original in-service date.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 01-07-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
This part is not true. It's not transferrable in private party transactions. CPO comes with the balance of scheduled maintenance from the original in-service date.
that's assuming the car has been fully CPOed; all paperwork submitted, processed, accepted. there was a post about someone that bought a car from a private party dealer (not BMW) and verified that the car was CPOed through his local BMW dealer. Ended up the application was submitted (so came up in CPO database) but original dealer had NOT completed and certified paperwork so the car could not be fully declared CPO.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
I've wondered about this. The way the policy is worded the maintenance doesn't transfer even with CPO sales. I remember thinking at the time that it didn't make sense for BMW to deprive their dealers of this additional incentive to sell their CPOs. I wondered if dealers would pressure BMW to adjust the policy, but I've never seen evidence of a rewritten policy.

www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:

Some people do 3 year 15k/yr leases; which would leave them exposed to potential maintenance costs for the last 9k+ miles.
-2015 328i GT Black Sapphire Metallic, DHP, Cold Weather Pkg, Drivers Assistance Pkg, Drivers Assistance +, Xenon, Technology Pkg, Premium Pkg, Side and Top View Cameras
Old 01-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqpablon View Post
Some people do 3 year 15k/yr leases; which would leave them exposed to potential maintenance costs for the last 9k+ miles.
or 3 year/60k leases, and then you're on the hook starting towards the end of the 2nd year and ALL third year!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:45 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
that's assuming the car has been fully CPOed; all paperwork submitted, processed, accepted. there was a post about someone that bought a car from a private party dealer (not BMW) and verified that the car was CPOed through his local BMW dealer. Ended up the application was submitted (so came up in CPO database) but original dealer had NOT completed and certified paperwork so the car could not be fully declared CPO.
It's either CPO or it isn't. It can be inspected and processed for CPO, but if the process isn't complete, or it doesn't pass, it's not CPO.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 01-07-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
It's either CPO or it isn't. It can be inspected and processed for CPO, but if the process isn't complete, or it doesn't pass, it's not CPO.
I understand that and agree with what you are saying but the issue was that it came up as a CPO during the pre-purchase inspection (not an official PPI, but buyer doing proper due diligence) and verification by a BMW dealer. But then 'disappeared' from CPO list. the new owner later learned the paperwork had been submitted but not fully processed. i guess a few levels of CPO paperwork before its REALLY official, and thus it shouldn't appear on a CPO list until its fully approved. gives further strength to buying CPO from a BMW dealer and letting them deal with the paperwork or at least with the original BMW dealer that submitted the paperwork.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
I understand that and agree with what you are saying but the issue was that it came up as a CPO during the pre-purchase inspection (not an official PPI, but buyer doing proper due diligence) and verification by a BMW dealer. But then 'disappeared' from CPO list. the new owner later learned the paperwork had been submitted but not fully processed. i guess a few levels of CPO paperwork before its REALLY official, and thus it shouldn't appear on a CPO list until its fully approved. gives further strength to buying CPO from a BMW dealer and letting them deal with the paperwork or at least with the original BMW dealer that submitted the paperwork.
Dealers frequently wait to submit the CPO enrollment and pay the fee until they know the ultimate buyer wants the coverage. The car is entered into the system, but it clearly says "Pending" for anyone who bothers to pay attention.

www.bmwcca.org
Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
This is BMW North America. Each market has their own incentive to buy, America having the best coverage. BMW AG (headquarters Europe) gives 2 ****s about what Americans offer.... A vehicle will not leave the factory without the car already being paid in full. I've ordered a BMW in Germany and you wouldn't believe me if I told you what it actually costs the factory to build a F30... It's not a profit margin, it's a profit canyon. My point is, don't think this is a decision coming from BMW. It's coming from the market and it has spoken loud and clear, no one else offers an all around deal on luxury cars like BMW; 4years 50k miles, attractive lease and financing, no cost maintenance. I've always liked that but I understand this decision. It's not competitive right now. BMW owns the sport sedan market, period. Time to stop hemorrhaging money.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:40 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2016 M3 SO ZCP
Thats crappy. I was always on the fence of the maintenance program. Maybe if the dealer sold it slightly above cost it would be worth it. This makes the maintenance program garbage.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
This is BMW North America. Each market has their own incentive to buy, America having the best coverage. BMW AG (headquarters Europe) gives 2 ****s about what Americans offer.... A vehicle will not leave the factory without the car already being paid in full. I've ordered a BMW in Germany and you wouldn't believe me if I told you what it actually costs the factory to build a F30... It's not a profit margin, it's a profit canyon. My point is, don't think this is a decision coming from BMW. It's coming from the market and it has spoken loud and clear, no one else offers an all around deal on luxury cars like BMW; 4years 50k miles, attractive lease and financing, no cost maintenance. I've always liked that but I understand this decision. It's not competitive right now. BMW owns the sport sedan market, period. Time to stop hemorrhaging money.
I've always wondered about the actual cost to produce a car. I've Googled it on occasion, but I've never found a good source of information. So, how much does it cost to produce an F30?

www.bmwcca.org

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2017 bmw, bmw, bmw dealerships, bmw news, bmw no cost maintenance, bmw warranty

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search