Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i xDrive Gran Coupé
2016 NBT_EVO OTA Map Updates anyone?

Has anyone with the NBT_EVO unit experienced an OTA map update?
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2016, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Good question. And how would you tell?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
Has anyone with the NBT_EVO unit experienced an OTA map update?

Yes. A weird little icon appeared on the screen, along with a completion percentage. Took some time but eventually finished. Rather unremarkable...
Old 01-27-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookster57 View Post
Good question. And how would you tell?
By checking the map version.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiClyde View Post
Yes. A weird little icon appeared on the screen, along with a completion percentage. Took some time but eventually finished. Rather unremarkable...
Cool...good to know it has happened. And it is only unremarkable, until you discover that changed street names are now up to date and new streets are present. My 2015 version has both these issues.

Last edited by Beowulf65; 01-27-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiClyde View Post
Yes, I have gotten a map update as well (435 GC with NBT evo). Note, the car did not seem to have the most up to date maps when I took delivery.

I had to activate BMW assist (which i had a few issues with as it would not activate). The dealer had to re flash the bmw assist module.

After that, I actually had to go into iDrive and tell it to turn on the map updates, and which region of map updates I wanted (someone else on the boards mentioned this, but I dont remember who).

I cant remember where in iDrive I turned this on now, but I know you can log into the BMW assist portal on the web, and set your region. Anyway, after I set the region, sometime in the next 24 hours it started to download the new map for it (California).

Ill keep looking to see if I can remember where in iDrive I set that.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 01-27-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Yes, I have gotten a map update as well (435 GC with NBT evo). Note, the car did not seem to have the most up to date maps when I took delivery.

I had to activate BMW assist (which i had a few issues with as it would not activate). The dealer had to re flash the bmw assist module.

After that, I actually had to go into iDrive and tell it to turn on the map updates, and which region of map updates I wanted (someone else on the boards mentioned this, but I dont remember who).

I cant remember where in iDrive I turned this on now, but I know you can log into the BMW assist portal on the web, and set your region. Anyway, after I set the region, sometime in the next 24 hours it started to download the new map for it (California).

Ill keep looking to see if I can remember where in iDrive I set that.
Interesting...I've had the map updates and region set for a few weeks now and nothing has happened. I have a 2015 version (Car Build Date: 2015-10-27) and there is a 2016 update available...perhaps the OTA update has not yet been rolled out in Canada.

I believe the setting is under Navigation/Options.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Interesting...I've had the map updates and region set for a few weeks now and nothing has happened. I have a 2015 version (Car Build Date: 2015-10-27) and there is a 2016 update available...perhaps the OTA update has not yet been rolled out in Canada.

I believe the setting is under Navigation/Options.
It is quite possible / likely that you are dealing with the fact that there are no new maps yet for that region that they are pushing out? Just guessing.

Interesting on the build date of the car... my car is a 2016, but the build date is 07/15/15. It sounds like your car is a 2015 with a build date of 10/27/15, so prior year model, built later.

I took mine off the lot, but I believe it was most likely a special order that someone did not pick up. Dealer did not tell me that, but it was the only fully loaded estoril blue 435 GC M sport within 120 miles of me, and I am in southern california. to put that in perspective, there are 28 dealers within 150 miles of me per cars.com.

Anyway, good luck with it! I was trying to figure out how to trigger the update, but after getting online with bmw assist and setting the region it just sort of started. It only downloaded while I was driving, so it took a while for me to get it.

It shows a little book icon with a percentage, when it is downloading.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 01-27-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
It is quite possible / likely that you are dealing with the fact that there are no new maps yet for that region that they are pushing out? Just guessing.

Interesting on the build date of the car... my car is a 2016, but the build date is 07/15/15. It sounds like your car is a 2015 with a build date of 10/27/15, so prior year model, built later.

I took mine off the lot, but I believe it was most likely a special order that someone did not pick up. Dealer did not tell me that, but it was the only fully loaded estoril blue 435 GC M sport within 120 miles of me, and I am in southern california. to put that in perspective, there are 28 dealers within 150 miles of me per cars.com.

Anyway, good luck with it! I was trying to figure out how to trigger the update, but after getting online with bmw assist and setting the region it just sort of started. It only downloaded while I was driving, so it took a while for me to get it.

It shows a little book icon with a percentage, when it is downloading.
Thanks for the information. Actually our car is a 2016, built to order...it was a replacement for our 2015 that was recalled due to the Halifax ice storm last February.

I may contact BMW Canada and ask if there is an update available OTA.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:20 AM

I found the information I was seeking in the individual online owner's manual:

"Automatic map update
General information

Depending on the equipment and country version, the navigation data for the home region is transmitted online to the vehicle four times a year and automatically installed and updated."
Old 03-02-2016, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i
If we can do this manually, can anyone show the steps to get into the sub-menu for the update? Are the first steps Main Menu>Settings>...>

A picture couldn't hurt, either.

I have NBT2 Evo.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
If we can do this manually, can anyone show the steps to get into the sub-menu for the update? Are the first steps Main Menu>Settings>...>

I have NBT2 Evo.
I couldnt figure out how to trigger it manually. In my case, right after I got my car in january (and got connected drive services working), and selected my region, it started updating about 1 day or so later.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I have NBT2 Evo.
"Update

Connect a USB device with the new navigation data to the USB interface in the center armrest.

Follow the instructions on the Control Display.

Enter the release code for the navigation data.

The navigation data will be updated. After a journey is interrupted, follow the instructions on the Control Display.

Remove the USB medium after the update."
Old 03-02-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
...Connect a USB device with the new navigation data to the USB interface in the center...
Except, by definition, using a flash drive is not over-the-air (OTA), which is the entire point of this particular thread. I wanted instructions for the "automatic" LTE download; no peripheral is needed.

Besides, USB is soooh 2015.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Except, by definition, using a flash drive is not over-the-air (OTA), which is the entire point of this particular thread. I wanted instructions for the "automatic" LTE download; no peripheral is needed.

Besides, USB is soooh 2015.
I did not understand your use of "manually" as OTA is automatic. Okay...so you want to know how to configure your car for OTA updates. This does not "trigger" an OTA update, it simply configures the HU to accept one when it is made available.

"Automatic map update
General information

Depending on the equipment and country version, the navigation data for the home region is transmitted online to the vehicle four times a year and automatically installed and updated.
Changing the home region

"Navigation"

Open "Options".

"Navigation system version"

Select the symbol. (Resembles a gear.)

BMW Online is opened. Follow the instructions on the Control Display and select the desired home region."

Last edited by Beowulf65; 03-02-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 340i
FWIW, my 340 was manufactured 3rd week of Jan. '16, and has '15-4 installed. It doesn't seem too interested in updating.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I did not understand your use of "manually" as OTA is automatic. Okay...so you want to know how to configure your car for OTA updates. This does not "trigger" an OTA update, it simply configures the HU to accept one when it is made available.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x986 View Post
FWIW, my 340 was manufactured 3rd week of Jan. '16, and has '15-4 installed. It doesn't seem too interested in updating.
Right. Mine, too. So, "automatic" my eyeball. It looks like it'll take some effort on the end-user's part to get the updates to work.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Right. Mine, too. So, "automatic" my eyeball. It looks like it'll take some effort on the end-user's part to get the updates to work.
Not really.. you just have to tell it what region you are in (which is technically most likely something your dealer should do on vehicle delivery, while going over car features).

Once you tell it what region you are in, if there is an update for your region, it should update. FWIW I believe I have the same map version you guys have (15-4). My car is a '16 but was manufactured 7/15, and when I bought it off the lot in Jan of this year, it had an older version of the maps than 15-4.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-03-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
BMW cannot programme each car for its appropriate region when it leaves the factory...that is up to the dealer/owner. The OTA update is a new feature that came in with the 4G network activation...I found that my dealer was unaware of the change, and I educated them after research on my part. BMW Canada Customer Service representatives were unaware that BMW Assist now comes free for 10 years..it was on the website but the representatives were not yet informed of the change. Just an example of the fact that information changes take a while to filter down to the customer level.

Updates are automatic, once the car is set up for its region, there is an update for that region and the update has been deployed.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 340i
My car was manufactured in July 2015 and it updated the Texas region OTA within the first few weeks of delivery. I've tried setting it to update other regions with absolutely no luck and it hasn't updated the TX region since then either.
Does anyone know if the car has to physically be in a region to get the maps for that region to update OTA?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
My car was manufactured in July 2015 and it updated the Texas region OTA within the first few weeks of delivery. I've tried setting it to update other regions with absolutely no luck and it hasn't updated the TX region since then either.
Does anyone know if the car has to physically be in a region to get the maps for that region to update OTA?
More than likely, yes. To update the entire NAV maps would take a long time and I doubt someone driving in Canada would get map updates for Texas, for example. Unless the GPS locates the car in that region and the car is set to update for that region.

In Canada, my setting is "CAN, AL"...however I have not been able to determine what AL refers to. I do not live in Alberta or Atlantic Canada, so...?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340xi msport prem+
I think it stands for ALaska.
My experience on a November 340xi delivery:
- the settings wheel would not appear in the navigation, options, navigation version window
- apparently BMW had set idrive/ setting/ gps position to on. This apparently disables the setting wheel and ARTTI. Locate vehicle in BMW REMOTE works with gps on.
- after the wheel setting appeared, I got 2005-4 al, can in December.
- since I live near Vancouver, I changed my setting to wash,etc in January and received my 2005-4 update a couple of days later.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybotom View Post
I think it stands for ALaska.
My experience on a November 340xi delivery:
- the settings wheel would not appear in the navigation, options, navigation version window
- apparently BMW had set idrive/ setting/ gps position to on. This apparently disables the setting wheel and ARTTI. Locate vehicle in BMW REMOTE works with gps on.
- after the wheel setting appeared, I got 2005-4 al, can in December.
- since I live near Vancouver, I changed my setting to wash,etc in January and received my 2005-4 update a couple of days later.
Ahh...ALaska...that makes sense. I'll check in my car and see if that GPS position disables the setting. Seems odd that it would?
Old 03-03-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Ahh...ALaska...that makes sense. I'll check in my car and see if that GPS position disables the setting. Seems odd that it would?
Well, actually it would make sense for the gps position to disable the setting there. To Me, GPS position on would mean "get map updates from my GPS position". If the car is getting map updates from its gps position, you would not need the settings wheel to specify a region.

At least thats how it sounds... but we do not have any confirmation.

BMW CCA #477341

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search