Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i xDrive Gran Coupé
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Well, actually it would make sense for the gps position to disable the setting there. To Me, GPS position on would mean "get map updates from my GPS position". If the car is getting map updates from its gps position, you would not need the settings wheel to specify a region.

At least thats how it sounds... but we do not have any confirmation.
Hmm..."Curiouser and curiouser," cried ALice: Alaska is AK and AL is Alabama?

I set GPS position "On" and it did not deactivate the settings wheel or the OTA region setting...at least on my 2016 435xi GC.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i
Honestly, would it kill BMW to make our "region" the same as when they installed the original map information into our cars? In other words, our "region" should be North America, just like the original setup.

This dividing our continent or country into 13 different regions is ridiculous. Suppose I want to travel cross-country? Can't I just have the latest nationwide map that is available?
Old 03-03-2016, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
Honestly, would it kill BMW to make our "region" the same as when they installed the original map information into our cars? In other words, our "region" should be North America, just like the original setup.

This dividing our continent or country into 13 different regions is ridiculous. Suppose I want to travel cross-country? Can't I just have the latest nationwide map that is available?
If you want a hard drive full of maps you will never use, preventing you from storing any music etc on there, then yes. The amount of map data you are talking about would be very large, and its a great practice to only install data on users devices (in this case a car) that they will use.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-03-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
If you want a hard drive full of maps you will never use, preventing you from storing any music etc on there, then yes. The amount of map data you are talking about would be very large, and its a great practice to only install data on users devices (in this case a car) that they will use.
I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I do know I have 20GB dedicated for "entertainment" only, so there won't be any map data going there.

The NBT navigation system has 65GB of mapping. Doesn't the "update" simply overwrite the old data? I would guess, eventually, we would run out of memory if the updates were only continually added to the hard drive.

The hard drive is divided into at least 5 or more partitions, with each partition being able to only accept certain types of files.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:42 AM

I suspect it is also a matter of server load congestion: increase the amount of data being downloaded to 10s of thousands of cars and at some point the server will bog down and transfer will slow to a crawl. Optimize the amount of data being transferred and the servers can "keep it up." The other method of keeping the speed up is to add more servers = more cost/less profit.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:05 PM

To update this thread, my car just triggered a map update today (03/08/2016). I noticed it when driving back from an appointment today. The icon lookks like a folded map in iDrive, with a 3/4 circle around it. Next to that is a percentage, as it downloads.

I took a before and after picture of the map / nav version. My car went from "Automatic map update CA / HI / NV (2015-4)" to Automatic map update CA/ HI / NV (2016-1).

Maybe these are quarterly? I made sure to NOT update anything manually via USB etc for the maps, as I did not want to potentially break any updating. I also did not do anything to kick this update off.. It just updated. The car has updated twice since I have had it. For reference, the car is a 2016 435GC with a build date of 7/15. I leased it new on jan 19th, and a couple days after that (after getting BMW assist working), it updated the maps from 2015-3 to 2015-4. Today updated to 2016-1.

Anyone else in any region get automatic Update to 2016-1? (you have to have the NBT evo head unit for automatic updates as discussed previously.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Can you post the pics? Yes, it's supposed to be quarterly. And do you need Hawaii?
Old 03-08-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookster57 View Post
Can you post the pics? Yes, it's supposed to be quarterly. And do you need Hawaii?
The regions are the way BMW set them, and I am in the california region (which is the three states I listed. Unfortunately you dont get to split up the regions. Here are the regions as they are in my BMW connected drive portal (I am region 1)

Region 1
California, Hawaii, Nevada
Region 2
Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming
Region 3
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah
Region 4
Texas
Region 5
Canada, Alaska
Region 6
Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico
Region 7
Kansas, Missouri
Region 8
Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota
Region 9
Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee
Region 10
Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin
Region 11
Alabama, Florida, Georgia
Region 12
North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.
Region 13
Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont

@Hookster57, I can post the pics, sure. They are pretty poor iPhone pics, because I took them for myself to see what changed, but if they help someone /shrug...

Just please forgive the poor pics. First pic is the "Before rebooting to apply the update" pic. Second pic is "after rebooting to apply update"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav Version Before.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	553924

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav Version After.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	553923

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-08-2016, 07:29 PM

Hawaii? They couldn't give you a better state, geographically? Someone at BMW needs a kick in the nuts.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
Hawaii? They couldn't give you a better state, geographically? Someone at BMW needs a kick in the nuts.
its probably more like they lumped Hawaii in with California, than the other way around. Hawaii isnt really that far from here, as the plane flies (its closer to us in california than anywhere else in the country I believe).

I also think some people in hawaii shop california BMW dealers and ship cars over there. I love how Texas gets its own region. I guess BMW goes along with the "texas is its own country" thing as well lol

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Uh, I think it's a joke (the Hawaii thing) since it's hard to drive your 435 there.
Thanx for the pics.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:09 PM

The CAN, AL (Alabama right...) update was downloaded today and continued to do so while the car was turned off in a hand car wash. So, my base version is 2015-4 and I now have 2016-1 for my region. The navigation system rebooted to complete the update with no problems.

Last edited by Beowulf65; 03-12-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 328
still no OTA update?

I have NBTEvo nav. BMW Online screens show "4G" in the top left. Yet, I see no instance of setting the region and I still have 2016-1.
E90 (2006 325xi): Step, ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metallic [Retired]
Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHakim View Post
I have NBTEvo nav. BMW Online screens show "4G" in the top left. Yet, I see no instance of setting the region and I still have 2016-1.
So do I. The updates do not seem to come as fast as you can "acquire" them online via downloads etc.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 05-09-2016, 10:48 PM

BMW Genius mentioned that they release the map update to vehicles in batches. In my case, though, I don't think ConnectedDrive is fully setup and my region is no set.
E90 (2006 325xi): Step, ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metallic [Retired]
Old 05-09-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
BMW Genius mentioned that they release the map update to vehicles in batches. In my case, though, I don't think ConnectedDrive is fully setup and my region is no set.
You can set your zone on the connected drive portal.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 PM

I am finding that out the hard way. No one explained that to me on delivery and the OM (in-vehicle and hardcopy) lacks any info about it. I found the ConDrive website and discovered I've had an account since 2006 (first bimmer), though I've never used it and no other vehicles were registered. Though my current BMW evidently was registered automatically.

BTW, the auto map FAQ states
"How do I activate Automatic Map Update?
This service is automatically activated for you. The Map Updates will also be sent automatically. "

That's BS, as I am having to do it manually by selecting a region!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I am finding that out the hard way. No one explained that to me on delivery and the OM (in-vehicle and hardcopy) lacks any info about it. I found the ConDrive website and discovered I've had an account since 2006 (first bimmer), though I've never used it and no other vehicles were registered. Though my current BMW evidently was registered automatically.

BTW, the auto map FAQ states
"How do I activate Automatic Map Update?
This service is automatically activated for you. The Map Updates will also be sent automatically. "

That's BS, as I am having to do it manually by selecting a region!
If you read this thread from the start, you may find a few explanations for your concerns.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
If you read this thread from the start, you may find a few explanations for your concerns.
I did read the whole thread. Most was irrelevant.

"I had to activate BMW assist..."
BMW Assist is already active.

"I actually had to go into iDrive and tell it to turn on the map updates"
There is no such setting/feature in my iDrive. (I've seen every screen.)

"log into the BMW assist portal on the web, and set your region."
No such thing. It is the "ConnectedDrive portal". The map feature is not an Assist feature.
In any case, I set the region in my portal. Still, the settings gear in the iDrive Navigation Version screen is inactive (greyed out).

"I found the information I was seeking in the individual online owner's manual:
Automatic map update General information"

There is no such entry in my online owner's manual nor in-vehicle. I've searched. This info would be in the official "NAVIGATION, ENTERTAINMENT, COMMUNICATION OWNER'S MANUAL", but that manual does not exist (yet) for the NBT2-Evo navigation systems. Just ask BMW Genius.

"BMW had set idrive/ setting/ gps position to on"
My is set to off, but the gear to set the Region in-vehicle is still inactive.

I don't want to make a service visit explaining this to ignorant SAs if I don't have to!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I did read the whole thread. Most was irrelevant.

"I had to activate BMW assist..."
BMW Assist is already active.

"I actually had to go into iDrive and tell it to turn on the map updates"
There is no such setting/feature in my iDrive. (I've seen every screen.)

"log into the BMW assist portal on the web, and set your region."
No such thing. It is the "ConnectedDrive portal". The map feature is not an Assist feature.
In any case, I set the region in my portal. Still, the settings gear in the iDrive Navigation Version screen is inactive (greyed out).

"I found the information I was seeking in the individual online owner's manual:
Automatic map update General information"

There is no such entry in my online owner's manual nor in-vehicle. I've searched. This info would be in the official "NAVIGATION, ENTERTAINMENT, COMMUNICATION OWNER'S MANUAL", but that manual does not exist (yet) for the NBT2-Evo navigation systems. Just ask BMW Genius.

"BMW had set idrive/ setting/ gps position to on"
My is set to off, but the gear to set the Region in-vehicle is still inactive.

I don't want to make a service visit explaining this to ignorant SAs if I don't have to!
Is your current car in the BMW connected drive portal, and if so, what does it show for BMW assist features? if you have the region set in BMW connected drive portal (which I think was called BMW assist portal when we were talking about it originally on this thread), the same region is on your car.

In any case, If you have 2016-1, you probably have the latest one that is available. You are right that SAs are not that familiar (if at all) with this, and neither was the BMW genius line. My main issue at the beginning was that BMW assist was not activated properly on my car. Note, these were not my first BMWs so I had a bmw assist (now called connected drive) account, BUT my current car was not in there at first, and they (bmw assist) could not activate it.

If you want to verify if you have a fully functional BMW assist account, call them from the car using the SOS button. When they answer, just ask them if your car is fully activated on BMW assist. Tell them you are just verifying it because you are having issues with map updates, and just want to make 100% sure they can see all the data from your car.

In my case originally, the answer was "no", even though my car showed up in the portal.

I might wait, however, till we see people verifying that they are getting map update 2016-2 via OTA updates (and not just downloaded from sites via USB).

BMW CCA #477341
Old 05-10-2016, 11:39 AM

Okay...I assume your car's factory condition was 2016-1? That being the case, 2016-2 has not yet rolled out on the OTAs so you are not behind at this point. OTA updates happen 4 times a year.

I'm not sure why your settings gear is greyed out...when I got my 2015 435xi GC, the navigation system, BMW Assist, Online widgets, etc., were not working properly and the dealer had to reprogramme the HU...perhaps your navigation software needs to be reprogrammed?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:28 AM

[BMW CD/Assist were down recently, so I'll give it more time since I just setup CD Portal.]

Vehicle is in portal and is fully registered. I have verified with Assist (via SOS button), but I will ask again per your suggestion.

Services subscribed to
BMW Assist eCall
BMW TeleService
ConnectedDrive Services
Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
Remote Services

Services available for subscription
Concierge Services
Internet

In the drop-down list on far left in CD Portal:
My services: MyInfo, News, Map update

BMW Genius confirmed that I have OTA Map Update feature.

The Map Update FAQ mentions:
"You will see Automatic Map Update under "Subscribed services" in the ConnectedDrive Store." In iDrive, I don't see that in Subscribed services. Maybe you only see it during an actual update?

The News settings don't seem to work either. I setup some RSS feeds, but I don't see them in BMW Online. I have not tried the email feature.

Map region is set in CD Portal.

I read a post where one claimed to have OTA updated to 2016-2, thus my query. Maybe they were wrong and edited the post, as I cannot find it now. Per BMW, Automatic Map Updates are released quarterly, so I thought 2016-2 should be around by May. NEXT 2016-2 has been available for some time.

Maybe the gear becomes active once the first OTA update occurs. One other post mentioned that the gear became inactive after OTA updating to 2016-1. Maybe it's a 2016-1 bug.
(BTW, BMW Genius does not even know about the Nav Sys Ver gear!)

If not, I'll make a service appt. and get system updated/refreshed.

All this was not a total waste of time, as I learned about the CD Portal, what to do to enable OTA, and what to look for.

Thanks for all the info sharing!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Per BMW, Automatic Map Updates are released quarterly, so I thought 2016-2 should be around by May. NEXT 2016-2 has been available for some time.
In Canada, the 2016-1 update rolled out in April...so I would not expect 2016-2 until some time in July.

Quote:
Maybe the gear becomes active once the first OTA update occurs. One other post mentioned that the gear became inactive after OTA updating to 2016-1. Maybe it's a 2016-1 bug.
The gear was active before the 2016-1 OTA update and remained active afterwards.

Our Online Owner's Manual provides information on the navigation system and the OTA update settings...however no NEC manual came with our 2016.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
In Canada, the 2016-1 update rolled out in April...so I would not expect 2016-2 until some time in July.

The gear was active before the 2016-1 OTA update and remained active afterwards.

Our Online Owner's Manual provides information on the navigation system and the OTA update settings...however no NEC manual came with our 2016.
Just today I noticed that my region updated to 2016-2. However, never did I see any indication at all that an update was downloading or installing and I was never prompted to reboot. Perhaps it was a teeny tiny update that happened in seconds. I don't notice a difference.

BTW, the gear is STILL inactive (so never has been active). Maybe they decided to disable it in some later builds and/or iDrive software, and just stick with the Portal setting. (BMW Genius knew nothing about the gear.)

I am tempted to select a new region to prompt another update, but I fear being locked out from future updates to my current region. Supposedly we can change updates in the Portal, but afterwards future updates are not guaranteed w/o purchasing an all-region update.

Last edited by DJHakim; 06-13-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: (Ordered) 2016 428i Gran
Re: Nav settings gear being inactive

I have a 2016 428i GC and my gear use to be selectable to change region and change OTA update on/off. The gear has since been disabled and I can't click on it. However, I still got an update for my region (today actually). Before the gear was disabled, I was able to change to another region and I have updates from that region (Washington DC) and my current region (Maryland). You can actually see this in my post from last year (photo of the iDrive screen):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=10

I may try to change the region in the portal to see if I can get updates for DC, since those maps are only 2015-4 vs 2016-2. I wonder why they disabled the settings view in the car? Maybe they didn't want people to easily change regions like I did? It sucks when you live right on region borders.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search