Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gat0rdave View Post
Re: Nav settings gear being inactive

I have a 2016 428i GC and my gear use to be selectable to change region and change OTA update on/off. The gear has since been disabled and I can't click on it. However, I still got an update for my region (today actually). Before the gear was disabled, I was able to change to another region and I have updates from that region (Washington DC) and my current region (Maryland). You can actually see this in my post from last year (photo of the iDrive screen):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=10

I may try to change the region in the portal to see if I can get updates for DC, since those maps are only 2015-4 vs 2016-2. I wonder why they disabled the settings view in the car? Maybe they didn't want people to easily change regions like I did? It sucks when you live right on region borders.
You might have to change the region in the online portal once its set. I have looked in my online portal and I believe the region choices are still there... but I dont know what it does if I switch regions there to the maps that are already in the car.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 10-01-2016, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: (Ordered) 2016 428i Gran
Well, I can only change on the portal now since the gear in the car menu is disabled now. When I could change the region in the car iDrive menu, it downloaded both regions just fine. You can see that in my link above. Currently I have DC/VA 2015-4 and MD 2016-2 (2016-3 is actually in the middle of downloading right now). Once MD/PA finishes downloading, I'll change to DC/VA in the portal and see what happens. Based on previous experience with changing regions in the car menu, I'm guessing it will download both just fine.

I have a dealer appt on Tuesday, so worse case, I'll have them reset the nav and then set the region back to MD.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 328
Be careful when changing regions. According to the ConDrive website, changing regions may get updates locked out for a region and then require a full (and pricey) update. Supposedly the reason is that the updates cannot jump a version and switching regions could get an update out of sync.

I'd like to hear someone get more than 1 region updated OTA (recently and using only portal settings). It's crap that the updates are regional. No one would mind the whole map set being updated even if it took a week of periodic downloads.
E90 (2006 325xi): Step, ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metallic [Retired]

Last edited by DJHakim; 10-01-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 435i xDrive Gran Coupé
I wonder if the region settings are limited in the US due to the large number of regions. Switching around could put a large load on the servers. In Canada, the only "region" is the entire country + the one area that is classified as US, Alaska....

We have no online portal setting.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:51 AM

Possibly, but I don't know how there'd be a bandwidth issue. They can update the whole thing and users just expect to take a while for a full update. Update the chosen region first, then the rest. I've read updates just taking overnight.

Having 7% of your maps database being a different version of the other 93% seems messy.

Imagine what the current policy does when selling/transferring the car to a person in a different region.
E90 (2006 325xi): Step, ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metallic [Retired]
Old 10-02-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHakim View Post
Possibly, but I don't know how there'd be a bandwidth issue. They can update the whole thing and users just expect to take a while for a full update. Update the chosen region first, then the rest. I've read updates just taking overnight.

Having 7% of your maps database being a different version of the other 93% seems messy.

Imagine what the current policy does when selling/transferring the car to a person in a different region.
Not sure how that would be an issue... the new buyer would just put in the new region. Whats more of a concern, is what happens to those who live on the border of states that cross into different BMW regions. Im not sure how common that is based on the regions BMW has set, but I KNOW its common for many people in the middle of the country to cross state lines for work or pleasure on a daily or weekly basis, so, if you get locked out by changing regions thats going to be a serious issue.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 PM

The regions suck. Try living in DC beltway area. Maryland is in a separate region than DC? Wtf

Anyway, my nav just updated to 2016-3 for MD region yesterday and I have a previous update 2015-4 for DC. I went ahead and changed the region on the portal to DC to see if it will update. Last time I changed regions (when you could do it in iDrive menu), the new region didn't start updating until I drove into the region I selected. Sort of seems to defeat the purpose, especially if you are on a road trip.

I don't plan to drive into DC/VA until next month, I'll update this thread if anything happens when I drive through. The ConnectedDrive FAQ about regions seems to hint auto updates will only function for the initial region selected, but I have photos to prove that wasn't true last year. The trick was driving into the selected region. It was almost instantaneous (like within 10-15 minutes of crossing state lines).
Old 10-03-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
The regions suck. Try living in DC beltway area. Maryland is in a separate region than DC? Wtf

Anyway, my nav just updated to 2016-3 for MD region yesterday and I have a previous update 2015-4 for DC. I went ahead and changed the region on the portal to DC to see if it will update. Last time I changed regions (when you could do it in iDrive menu), the new region didn't start updating until I drove into the region I selected. Sort of seems to defeat the purpose, especially if you are on a road trip.

I don't plan to drive into DC/VA until next month, I'll update this thread if anything happens when I drive through. The ConnectedDrive FAQ about regions seems to hint auto updates will only function for the initial region selected, but I have photos to prove that wasn't true last year. The trick was driving into the selected region. It was almost instantaneous (like within 10-15 minutes of crossing state lines).
Thanks for taking the plunge and trying this and updating us on what happens!

Another (not necessarily ideal) solution is to get the map update from one of the online vendors that sell them (like bimmer america) or looking in the coding forum for how to get them.

Those updates are for the entire area (not just one region), and I have been told that they dont interfere with OTA updates. I got one of those for my wifes new X5 because the 2016 X5 does not have OTA updates. Interestingly enough it did not require an FSC code when I updated it to what it was built with (in july 2016) to what was available which was the next revision up.

Totally not ideal, but might be a solution for those who need this and are having issues with what BMW provides.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 10-03-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Thanks for taking the plunge and trying this and updating us on what happens!

Haha, I don't mind trying it out. I've seen it OTA update both regions before when I first got the car, so I'm guessing it will work once I drive into VA.

It's low risk to me, since my dealer is on the border of DC and Maryland, I have a good excuse. Worst case, I'll just push them to do a manual full upgrade to fix my "locked out" OTA updates during my next oil change, which should be after 2016-4 comes out.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S 2016
NBTEvo

I have one NBT Evo unit and I'm fighting with my dealer (South Mini) because they keep saying my car doesn't have OTA updates... Mini Cooper S 2016 built in January 2016

Can anyone give me like official information that the NBT Evo is the OTA updates enabled unit?

Here is a picture:
http://imgur.com/lGxNw07

Last edited by davisrayler; 11-19-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Haha, I don't mind trying it out. I've seen it OTA update both regions before when I first got the car, so I'm guessing it will work once I drive into VA.
Any luck?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
Question related to this OTA update availability;

My 2015 M4 has a 07/14 build date, and I don't see the OTA update option at all. My BMW Assist says 3G when it's connecting, so I assume I don't even connect at 4G speeds. Is that a later software update?

Even still though, for the OTA updates are the Regions specific down to a state or two? That's the impression I get from other posts. So if I want a full North America NBT Nav update, that's gotta come from a USB-based update?

Previous: 2000 328Ci 5MT w/ Dinan S1, 2011 335is 6MT
Old 04-20-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHakim View Post
Any luck?

Sorry it took so long to respond. When I went to DC/VA in December for the weekend, the OTA didn't update didn't download. I was stuck at 2015-4 (DC/VA) for awhile. My MD region was at 2016-3.

I drove down to VA this past weekend (4/15) and the maps update started downloading on the drive back (about 8 hours later). Strangely, it updated to 2016-1. I would have guessed it would have updated to 2016-3 at least (since that's what my MD region is at). Maybe updates are incremental and I'll have to go down there again for 2016-2 to download, and 2016-3, and so on...

Anyway, I just switched my region back to MD to see if that will update in the next few days.

Anyone know the current version out??? 2017-1?

I can confirm, I've updated both regions twice by switching back and forth between region configure on the connected drive website.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Question related to this OTA update availability;

My 2015 M4 has a 07/14 build date, and I don't see the OTA update option at all. My BMW Assist says 3G when it's connecting, so I assume I don't even connect at 4G speeds. Is that a later software update?

Even still though, for the OTA updates are the Regions specific down to a state or two? That's the impression I get from other posts. So if I want a full North America NBT Nav update, that's gotta come from a USB-based update?

Yeah, it's only updated by region. Also, if it doesn't say 4G then it won't update OTA. You can confirm by checking if you have NBTevo in the options for Nav version. See the pictures in early posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisrayler View Post
I have one NBT Evo unit and I'm fighting with my dealer (South Mini) because they keep saying my car doesn't have OTA updates... Mini Cooper S 2016 built in January 2016

Can anyone give me like official information that the NBT Evo is the OTA updates enabled unit?

Here is a picture:
http://imgur.com/lGxNw07
No because you have a mini. You have the hardware, but that does not mean that MINI is offering OTA updates just because BMWs with NBT evo are (totally late response but just because BMW owns mini does not mean that the online policies are the same, etc)

BMW CCA #477341

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search