Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 340i M-Sport
340i Rattling / Tapping Noise under Load

Hey, I have recently bought a 340i M-Sport and love the car, however, I can hear a slight rattling / tapping noise when I depress the throttle. Seems to be coming from behind the drivers side foot well.

I took it into BMW and they are telling me that it's a normal noise from the wastegate and that they wont do anything to fix it.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I would have thought that any noise from the wastegate would only be heard once I take my foot off the throttle as opposed to when I'm accelerating??

Appreciate any advice on this matter!
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 340i x-drive
Hard to comment without a recording of the noise in question.

I have not noticed any noises like that in mine and I usually pick up on that kind of thing pretty quickly.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:24 AM

My car is still with bmw so can't take a video recording but will try if I end up having to take it back unresolved.

I think it seems worse when the car is cold but it never goes away no matter how long I have been driving. The dealer has raised a PUMA case (I think it stands for part or procedure under manufacturer assessment) so will see where that goes. Another problem is that there aren't many B58 engines around this area to compare noises.

Do you have a video of your car I could listen to?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 340i x-drive
I don't have a recording of what my car sounds like under load. You should be able to find plenty of videos on YouTube of what it sounds like doing 0-200kph sprints on the autobahn
Old 06-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport 8AT
Mine doesn't rattle.

And unless you are thrashing it I can't imagine you will hear the waste gates...and that would be under deceleration wouldn't it?

Has your dealer looked for a loose heat shield???

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Last edited by Robin128; 06-10-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:38 AM

I'm not sure what the dealer has looked at to be honest - they seemed a bit vague over the phone (probably because they haven't actually found the true cause of the noise)

They did say that they testing another 340i and it made the same noise so this must be normal, however, when I asked to test drive this "other car" they said it had been loaded onto a transporter and was no longer there for me to hear, oh and they have no other 340is available. Convenient or what!!

Would the heat shield only rattle when I accelerate? The noise seems a bit too rythmic with the engine speed to be a heat shield - I will ask about the heat shield when I speak to them next time. The bmw mechanic said it sounded like the exhaust manifold when he came out in the car for a listen. I thought it might have been a belt tensioner or something simple like that but I would have expected them to have picked up on a basic issue.....
Old 06-11-2016, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
Steering column cover rattle is a known issue. When you hear the sound you are referring to, take your left hand and push the cover to the 2 O'clock position and see it it stops.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i
Hi

I have a June build and I hear exactly the same thing it is only under acceleration and is mildy annoying.

Did you make any progress on resolvig the issue?

Cheers
Andrew
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewdutoit View Post
Hi

I have a June build and I hear exactly the same thing it is only under acceleration and is mildy annoying.

Did you make any progress on resolvig the issue?

Cheers
Andrew
Unfortunately I didn't get this resolved. My dealer raised a Puma case and the response acknowledged that there had been a few cases of people complaining about this tapping noise under acceleration. However, they said this was a characteristic of the B58M engine and that it was "normal"

I have my car back which is great, but I still think it's a fault. Wish I could get my hands on another one to see if it is a noise in every car.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 340i xDrive
My car was built the first week of April and I haven't noticed anything. Do you hear the noise under hard acceleration? Normal driving? Is it affected by the mode setting (comfort, sport, etc.)? It would be good if you can post a recording of what your car sounds like so I can compare to mine. I will try to do the same the next time I am in the car.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:06 AM

Hi

Mine is noticable under medium acceleration, When you push very hard the engine sound washes it out. I have read a few forums that it is related to the injectors and a few people have said that it quiets down after a few thousand km's

I have probably found 5 different threads all related to this, so it must be present in a few cars.

Andrew
Old 06-20-2016, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 340i xDrive
The injectors in my 335 definitely made a ticking noise and there are lots of threads about ticking noises in the N20/N54/N55 engines, but we have a new engine so I don't know how well those thread relate. I don't hear any ticking/rattling in my 340. I tried to record the sound of my engine when accelerating, but I need a better app or recording device as I wasn't able to record anything useful.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i x-drive
Sorry please delete post, just read the OP more carefully.

Last edited by Dandar245; 06-21-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:34 PM

Hi,

Some feedback, I got the regional technical manager out from BMW. He took the car for a drive and confirmed the noise, nothing todo with the engine in the end, he suspected 2 things

1. The cable that runs from the inside of the cabin to open the bonnet. It was touching the body in my case. They will wrap this cable to prevent it colliding with the body and conducting the noise/rattle into the cabin.

2. Second item was (I think he said fuel lines) that run close to each other and then vibrate which causes the rattling washer noise under acceleration. There is actually a BMW action (based on previous cases) for this including a part they need to order and install.

Anyway so my car is going back to get both addressed

Ill get the case no's and the actions they took

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited by Andrewdutoit; 10-20-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 M-sport 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Hard to comment without a recording of the noise in question.

I have not noticed any noises like that in mine and I usually pick up on that kind of thing pretty quickly.
I haven't either. Good luck with troubleshooting and getting it fixed.

Phil G.

2016 BMW 340i M-Sport xDrive Mineral Grey/Oyster
2016 Porsche Boxster S (6MT) GT Silver/Black
2013 BMW x3 M-sport 3.5i x-drive Space Grey/Black
2009 BMW 328i xDrive (traded) Space Grey/Oyster
Old 07-10-2016, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK/335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewood View Post
Unfortunately I didn't get this resolved. My dealer raised a Puma case and the response acknowledged that there had been a few cases of people complaining about this tapping noise under acceleration. However, they said this was a characteristic of the B58M engine and that it was "normal"

I have my car back which is great, but I still think it's a fault. Wish I could get my hands on another one to see if it is a noise in every car.
Amazing how anything the techs can't figure out is the new "normal"
Old 07-10-2016, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 M-sport 3.5i
Mikewood - if your issue isn't resolved to your satisfaction, take it up with the Service Manager, and demand the problem be re-evaluated. If you get nowhere, then you make some noise. Call BMW NA Customer Service and let them know what's going on. Then write a detailed letter to the dealership owner, and copy the Service Manager, and BMW NA. I have a 340xi and have not heard the noise you're referring to. If it's a design fault, all the 6cyl engines in that model should be similarly affected. It's a new and expensive car. I would request that the problem be readdressed and fixed. If that doesn't get you anywhere, demand it. BMW NA takes these issues very seriously. Good luck.

Phil G.

2016 BMW 340i M-Sport xDrive Mineral Grey/Oyster
2016 Porsche Boxster S (6MT) GT Silver/Black
2013 BMW x3 M-sport 3.5i x-drive Space Grey/Black
2009 BMW 328i xDrive (traded) Space Grey/Oyster
Old 07-12-2016, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the info.

I complained to BMW UK who took the issue very seriously and have instructed the local dealer to resolve the situation for me one way or another. So my car is back with the dealer and if they still can't fix it then they will look at options of a different car or a refund.

Will let you guys know the outcome.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: '16 340i M Sport w/ THP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewdutoit View Post
Hi

Mine is noticable under medium acceleration, When you push very hard the engine sound washes it out. I have read a few forums that it is related to the injectors and a few people have said that it quiets down after a few thousand km's

I have probably found 5 different threads all related to this, so it must be present in a few cars.

Andrew
My 340i was built in Jan and is making the same noise too. I wasn't really able to pinpoint where it was coming from though.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:38 AM

Hi Mike,

Did you get anywhere with BMW UK?

Cheers
Andrew
Old 08-10-2016, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i Sedan
Having this problem as well. Car sounds a bit like a diesel, not like an I-6
Old 08-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Trend Setter!

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
This is normal stuff, from what I hear...
Old 08-28-2016, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityab View Post
Having this problem as well. Car sounds a bit like a diesel, not like an I-6
Same here really annoying noise like a gasket leaking slightly also have the annoying door seal rub/ squeak car is booked into dealer in a weeks time
Old 08-28-2016, 11:24 AM

If people with January build and people with an April build have it, I feel fortunate to not have it as a Feb build. Just luck of the draw? Did everyone that has this issue experience it since the car was first delivered?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinskunk View Post
If people with January build and people with an April build have it, I feel fortunate to not have it as a Feb build. Just luck of the draw? Did everyone that has this issue experience it since the car was first delivered?
Sounds like a slight gasket leak, cars booked into dealer on the 5th sept

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search