Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
F30 N26 turbo oil line recall SIB 11 17 16, blue smoke from exhaust

My key data shows an open technical campaign, "Replace exhaust turbocharger oil feed line", SIB 11 17 16. Online search says the old part allows oil to get into the turbo while engine is off and the oil will then get to cat causing blue smoke at startup. The new part has a check valve to prevent that problem.

This recall is covered by BMWNA even if out of warranty so do check with service department.
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2016, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
https://bmwtechnician.com/2015/11/04...urbo-oil-line/
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 11-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Just called dealer and part can now be ordered for recall! Hopefully they will check turbo and replace under warranty if needed.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:31 AM

Got the SIB done. Turbo was not replaced, but based on the gaskets/o-rings/clamps replaced the turbo was removed and then reinstalled, hopefully the tech did a good job on this. The cooling system was also bled and topped off.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:46 PM

FYI, BMWNA just sent me a recall letter stating this recall is included in the CA DMV Registration Renewal/Recall Tie-in Program, so do complete this recall or else CA DMV will not renew registration.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 328I
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
FYI, BMWNA just sent me a recall letter stating this recall is included in the CA DMV Registration Renewal/Recall Tie-in Program, so do complete this recall or else CA DMV will not renew registration.
What vehicle do you have?
I just called my dealership and they said that my MY 2013 328I does not have any open campaigns.
There is a TSB but it will take effect only if they can replicate the blue smoke at cold start.
I keep an eye on the exhaust but so far no blue smoke.
So I am a bit confused if the recall is baseb on MY,build date,trim level etc.
Thanks in advance.
Pal
Old 12-22-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantir View Post
What vehicle do you have?
I just called my dealership and they said that my MY 2013 328I does not have any open campaigns.
There is a TSB but it will take effect only if they can replicate the blue smoke at cold start.
I keep an eye on the exhaust but so far no blue smoke.
So I am a bit confused if the recall is baseb on MY,build date,trim level etc.
Thanks in advance.
Pal
MY13 328i with N26(N20 should not be affected).

Also the recall maybe in effect only in PZEV states, so do ask service department to read key data, if it does not show this specific open technical campaign then you should be OK with registration renewal(albeit do keep an eye on blue smoke from exhaust).

Last edited by namelessman; 12-22-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328ix | e39 540i 6spd
I wonder if its only for owners in California as the OP and namelessman is from cali. I checked on bmwusa.com/recall and my vin showed nothing (MY4/13 N26).
Old 12-22-2016, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Hi, first timer here. I looked on the blog for more info about recall and saw your post. It's not only for CA autos. I'm in PA and I received the recall letter but no recalls came up online for my VIN.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 328I
Quote:
MY13 328i with N26(N20 should not be affected).

Also the recall maybe in effect only in PZEV states, so do ask service department to read key data, if it does not show this specific open technical campaign then you should be OK with registration renewal(albeit do keep an eye on blue smoke from exhaust).
I suspected something like this. Thank you for the additional info. Just checked bmwusa.com/recalls and it does not show any recalls... must be the hightent environmental norms in Cali driving a localized recall.

Last edited by Palantir; 12-23-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfi View Post
Hi, first timer here. I looked on the blog for more info about recall and saw your post. It's not only for CA autos. I'm in PA and I received the recall letter but no recalls came up online for my VIN.
My MY13 warranty booklet says CA, NJ, NY, RI, VA, CT, ME, MD, MA, OR, PA, and WA are SULEV(PZEV).

Does your recall letter say the recall needs to be completed for registration renewal?

Do check with service department to see if you key shows the open technical campaign to replace turbocharger oil fuel line(it should given the recall letter was sent).
Old 01-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Got the SIB done. Turbo was not replaced, but based on the gaskets/o-rings/clamps replaced the turbo was removed and then reinstalled, hopefully the tech did a good job on this. The cooling system was also bled and topped off.
My SIB service is scheduled in two weeks. I'm assuming the oil was drained and refilled too? Asking because I usually do my own oil changes at 6 month intervals and my SIB service will generally coincide with my 6 month interval.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 320i
Well up here in Canada we don't seem to have any recall regarding this issue. I have recently left the car parked for for almost a week and was surprised to see a significant amount of smoke at startup, literally a huge smoke screen behind my car. Since then I have paid more attention and notice the longer the car sits the more the smoke is, with daily driving its almost impossible to notice.

I was at my local dealer and described the issue and had the revised part number but they gave me the runaround claiming it may be condensation and some smoke during startup is normal.
My option is to have them diagnose this issue by leaving the car overnight at the dealership, but they stated since I'm out of warranty any repair will be on my dime.

Don't know if the better option is just to have it replaced by an independent shop?
Cost for the part is $67 CAD at the dealer and they do have it in stock, labour is around 5 hours.

Hopefully this is the issue and not the turbo itself.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja View Post
My SIB service is scheduled in two weeks. I'm assuming the oil was drained and refilled too? Asking because I usually do my own oil changes at 6 month intervals and my SIB service will generally coincide with my 6 month interval.
My paperwork says "bleed and top off cooling system", there is no indication of oil drained/refilled.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2k View Post
Well up here in Canada we don't seem to have any recall regarding this issue. I have recently left the car parked for for almost a week and was surprised to see a significant amount of smoke at startup, literally a huge smoke screen behind my car. Since then I have paid more attention and notice the longer the car sits the more the smoke is, with daily driving its almost impossible to notice.

I was at my local dealer and described the issue and had the revised part number but they gave me the runaround claiming it may be condensation and some smoke during startup is normal.
My option is to have them diagnose this issue by leaving the car overnight at the dealership, but they stated since I'm out of warranty any repair will be on my dime.

Don't know if the better option is just to have it replaced by an independent shop?
Cost for the part is $67 CAD at the dealer and they do have it in stock, labour is around 5 hours.

Hopefully this is the issue and not the turbo itself.
BMWNA issues this open technical campaign in the US to comply with US emission laws. It is likely F30 N20/N26 in Canada have similar issues too, but it would be up to BMW Canada to pay for the repair or not.

One option is to discuss with the service director/GM to see if they can ask BMW Canada to goodwill the fix. If it is out-of-pocket, then it will be a judgement call to go dealer or indy.

The majority of the labor is to remove and re-install the turbo. My foreman did say they would check the turbo for damage, and replace if needed(turbo is covered by CA PZEV as well).
Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: f30 328xi sportline
I called my local dealership here in Ohio. They claim that recall is only for the n20, not the n26 motor. But do they not use the same turbo, engine etc? Fuel lines, cats, injectors are different in the two?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-Enthusiast View Post
I called my local dealership here in Ohio. They claim that recall is only for the n20, not the n26 motor. But do they not use the same turbo, engine etc? Fuel lines, cats, injectors are different in the two?

Mine is the N26 and I received the recall letter in the mail.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-Enthusiast View Post

Im up here in northeast Ohio and have a 2013 328i with N26 engine and they are currently doing the service now for this oil line recall.
I didn't receive any letter in the mail and nothing came up on the BMW recall website. I just took it in for service and they brought that to my attention as a surprise.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod33084 View Post
Im up here in northeast Ohio and have a 2013 328i with N26 engine and they are currently doing the service now for this oil line recall.
I didn't receive any letter in the mail and nothing came up on the BMW recall website. I just took it in for service and they brought that to my attention as a surprise.
That is good to know. BMWNA did not send recall letter to me neither. In general the key data shows any open "technical campaign", and service is very good at getting those fixed(and charging to BMWNA).

Do check bmw-rp.com("rp" stands for reimbursement program). My VIN pulls up the turbo oil line item, and that means if owner does pay out of pocket to fix this issue, BMWNA will reimburse the cost.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That is good to know. BMWNA did not send recall letter to me neither. In general the key data shows any open "technical campaign", and service is very good at getting those fixed(and charging to BMWNA).

Do check bmw-rp.com("rp" stands for reimbursement program). My VIN pulls up the turbo oil line item, and that means if owner does pay out of pocket to fix this issue, BMWNA will reimburse the cost.

Oh well that's very good to know! They did inform me that it is a recall so I will not be paying for any parts or labor for the line replacement. And I just fell out of warranty in November! I just hope the turbo itself wasn't damaged at all. I've seen a few post where the turbo seals end up going bad and need to replace the turbo anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-11-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Oh well that's very good to know! They did inform me that it is a recall so I will not be paying for any parts or labor for the line replacement. And I just fell out of warranty in November! I just hope the turbo itself wasn't damaged at all. I've seen a few post where the turbo seals end up going bad and need to replace the turbo anyways.
The foreman told me they did check turbo as part of the recall, and if needed the turbo would be replaced with no charge.

BTW, for my 328i with PZEV, the turbo is covered as emission part for 15-yr/150k-mile.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
The foreman told me they did check turbo as part of the recall, and if needed the turbo would be replaced with no charge.

BTW, for my 328i with PZEV, the turbo is covered as emission part for 15-yr/150k-mile.

I believe mine is also PZEV so I should have the same warranty right? Thats great news to hear!

Old 04-11-2017, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: f30 328xi sportline
I believe all n26 engines have that, they are installed on the sulev models.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I believe mine is also PZEV so I should have the same warranty right? Thats great news to hear!
Yes, specifically all 2013 328i 8AT cars have N26, and those have PZEV emission warranty.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, specifically all 2013 328i 8AT cars have N26, and those have PZEV emission warranty.

Awesome. Good to know. So if my turbo does end up going, it will be covered. Awesome.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search