Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-14-2017, 02:30 PM
tim330i's Avatar
tim330i tim330i is offline
Bimmerfest.com Founder
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 15,129
Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW i3 End of Lease Purchase Incentive

BMW i3 end of lease incentive

BMW has a lease return problem with the i3. Dealers are ending up with too many lease returned vehicle and not enough people opting to buy out the end of the lease. To solve this BMW is offering dealership between 3,000 and 5,000 to get people to take their i3 home for good.

2017 i3 Information, Pricing and Ordering Guides

Incentives
  • Dealer will receive a monetary incentive to sell the vehicle to the original lessee
    • $5000 if the car is sold as CPO
    • $3000 if the car is sold as pre-owned
  • Free Ultimate Care +1 (1 year free MPU) will be added to the car
  • Eligible for all active CPO Sales Support programs

How much of this bonus will be sent to the consumer isn't clear. The deal has been running from January 5th and ends March 31st. Has anyone had their dealership push the buy out option on their i3?

BMW Leasing 101 - Learn about leasing, get the best deal
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 AM
JT///M3's Avatar
JT///M3 JT///M3 is offline
10 YEARS!!!
Location: Corona
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 745
Send a message via AIM to JT///M3
Mein Auto: 08 Sepang M5
The only way anyone in their right mind would buy out an i3 lease is if BMW sold it to them at the going retail rate which is roughly 20k for a used i3 with low miles and decent options. Most lease residuals are around the 35k mark so it would be foolish to buy the car at that overvalued amount.
__________________
08 M5 Sepang/Portland - Modified
11 328 LeManns/Oyster - Modified
06 Mini Cooper JCW GP 1281 - Sold
10 Mini Cooper S Laurel Sport - Sold
99 MCoupe Arctic Silver---> Laguna Seca Blue - Sold
01 740i Sport Titanium Silver- Sold
04 X5 4.8is Estoril - Sold
98 M3/2 - His - Sold
97 M3/4 - Hers - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-2017, 04:43 PM
srswans srswans is offline
Scott
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: M2, 330i, 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT///M3 View Post
The only way anyone in their right mind would buy out an i3 lease is if BMW sold it to them at the going retail rate which is roughly 20k for a used i3 with low miles and decent options. Most lease residuals are around the 35k mark so it would be foolish to buy the car at that overvalued amount.
+1

My buyout was $33K. Neither BMW nor the dealer offered to sell me the car at a reasonable retail price. Needless to say I returned the i3.
__________________
2017 M2 LBB M-DCT purchased Dec '16
2002 325i Slushbox factory-ordered Jun '02
2001 330i Slicktop sedan, LSD, Borla exhaust, race springs, rolled fenders, Apex ARC-8 17x9, Hoosier R7, custom tune (220 WHP)
----------------------
Former rides:
2014 BMW i3 Tera World BEV
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-17-2017, 07:13 PM
JT///M3's Avatar
JT///M3 JT///M3 is offline
10 YEARS!!!
Location: Corona
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 745
Send a message via AIM to JT///M3
Mein Auto: 08 Sepang M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by srswans View Post
+1

My buyout was $33K. Neither BMW nor the dealer offered to sell me the car at a reasonable retail price. Needless to say I returned the i3.
So did I and then I got into another i3 for even less than my previous i3! So yeah, no brainer not to buy it out.
__________________
08 M5 Sepang/Portland - Modified
11 328 LeManns/Oyster - Modified
06 Mini Cooper JCW GP 1281 - Sold
10 Mini Cooper S Laurel Sport - Sold
99 MCoupe Arctic Silver---> Laguna Seca Blue - Sold
01 740i Sport Titanium Silver- Sold
04 X5 4.8is Estoril - Sold
98 M3/2 - His - Sold
97 M3/4 - Hers - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 PM
pharding pharding is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,789
Mein Auto: 14 550i
Only a fool would buy an i3 at lease end. The technology changes rapidly. And they batteries will be insanely expensive to replace.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:47 AM
slipnslider slipnslider is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: Infinity G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Only a fool would buy an i3 at lease end. The technology changes rapidly. And they batteries will be insanely expensive to replace.
Am I a fool for considering purchasing a used i3 that I DIDN'T lease?

If I could pay 21k for a 2014 with 20k miles on it, tech package, Giga...

I know it will continue to depreciate rapidly.

At what point do you think it would become a good value?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM
srswans srswans is offline
Scott
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: M2, 330i, 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipnslider View Post
Am I a fool for considering purchasing a used i3 that I DIDN'T lease?

If I could pay 21k for a 2014 with 20k miles on it, tech package, Giga...

I know it will continue to depreciate rapidly.

At what point do you think it would become a good value?
The batteries are warrantied for 8-years/100K at 70% capacity so you'd be good for six more years. When I turned my i3 in at 24 months with 18K, it seemed like the batteries were close to 100%. That is, I hadn't noticed any drop off since new. Although, keep in mind, 70% capacity would give you less than 40 miles range in the winter. Make sure that this battery warranty transfers though.

To me $20K sounds about right to me. The sticker on mine was $52K. Check KBB and also recent sales. Hopefully people buying using i3s will chime in on this forum and tell us what they paid.
__________________
2017 M2 LBB M-DCT purchased Dec '16
2002 325i Slushbox factory-ordered Jun '02
2001 330i Slicktop sedan, LSD, Borla exhaust, race springs, rolled fenders, Apex ARC-8 17x9, Hoosier R7, custom tune (220 WHP)
----------------------
Former rides:
2014 BMW i3 Tera World BEV
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2017, 02:29 PM
slipnslider slipnslider is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: Infinity G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by srswans View Post
The batteries are warrantied for 8-years/100K at 70% capacity so you'd be good for six more years. When I turned my i3 in at 24 months with 18K, it seemed like the batteries were close to 100%. That is, I hadn't noticed any drop off since new. Although, keep in mind, 70% capacity would give you less than 40 miles range in the winter. Make sure that this battery warranty transfers though.

To me $20K sounds about right to me. The sticker on mine was $52K. Check KBB and also recent sales. Hopefully people buying using i3s will chime in on this forum and tell us what they paid.
Well I don't have to worry about winter weather in SoCal, but still 70% of 80mi in warm weather is only 56 miles.

I wonder if BMW will sell new batteries for old i3's and if you'll be able to buy the new larger battery?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Davegsu Davegsu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 153
Mein Auto: 645 ci
I hear that they will be more than happy to upgrade your batteries to the higher capacity. I have no idea what they would charge.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2017 i3, bmw i3, bmw news, i3 lease buyout.


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms