BMW i3 resale value tanking - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: audi s4
BMW i3 resale value tanking

Not sure if any of you guys have this problem and what is BMW USA doing about this? 4 months ago I leased a 54k i3. Now I've changed my mind about and want to sell. I'm lucky to get 30k for this car. 2014's are going for 18k. No way anyone would buy a used 2017 when 2014's are so cheap.

This is pretty bad. I'm not hating on this car while it's still a solid commuter car, things changed so sometimes you need something else. Has anyone successfully sold their i3 for what they owe (and not market value)?
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 3GT 28i, 2017 i3 REX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6seriesgc View Post
Not sure if any of you guys have this problem and what is BMW USA doing about this? 4 months ago I leased a 54k i3. Now I've changed my mind about and want to sell. I'm lucky to get 30k for this car. 2014's are going for 18k. No way anyone would buy a used 2017 when 2014's are so cheap.

This is pretty bad. I'm not hating on this car while it's still a solid commuter car, things changed so sometimes you need something else. Has anyone successfully sold their i3 for what they owe (and not market value)?
Well your first hit is that BMWFS has taken the $7,500 Federal tax credit already. Your $54K car is really a $46.5K car and perhaps even less than that depending on what state you bought it in.

Then ask yourself, what sort of discount would you ask for a 4 month old used car? And realize that most "buyers" of the i3 are looking to lease, not to buy the car. To buy it they will want a great price, something you will be unable to offer.

Your best option is find someone who will take over your lease. If you don't have a really good deal you might have to kick in some money to get the deal done. Unfortunately that is the way of things when you want to undo a lease or a purchase of a new car.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White 328i Sport
Getting out of a lease early is always a challenge, but it is made much worse by the odd posture of the i3. It is an expensive car with a limited market. Fortunately, the tax credit and lease incentives can make it a really good deal to the original buyer -- but the used market is not strong.

Agree the best plan would be to try to get someone to take over or swap your lease.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: i3 ReX
sent a pm
Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x5 and 2014 i3Rex
In my opinion BWM killed the resale value of pre 2017s when they came out with the 2017 with 30% better range on the batteries.

I have a 2014 i3REx ($57K) that I leased with residual buy out at $28K. That's obviously NOT going to happen although my brother is going to try and buy it for current value when I turn it in - probably in the mid $teens.

I am going to lease a 2017 as I've really enjoyed the car, and I'm not going to get the REx option as my REx has never cut in in 26,000 miles - I have an x5 for weekends and long trips, the i3 just for around town and short trips.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 03-24-2017, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 3GT 28i, 2017 i3 REX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eze2bme View Post
I have a 2014 i3REx ($57K) that I leased with residual buy out at $28K. That's obviously NOT going to happen although my brother is going to try and buy it for current value when I turn it in - probably in the mid $teens.
That is a good idea- your brother gets a car he knows the history on- but be prepared for the price to be more than the mid teens. At $57K MSRP you must have had a pretty loaded car and those are retailing for low to mid twenties. The cars you see mid-teens are the base Mega interior with no other packages or perhaps just the parking package. At least that is what I've seen her in Southern California. Market conditions elsewhere certainly may be different.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: Alpine White 328i Sport
Quote:
In my opinion BWM killed the resale value of pre 2017s when they came out with the 2017 with 30% better range on the batteries.
This is going to be a very real risk for Evs for the foreseeable future -- the tech will be advancing at a much faster rate than ICE cars. Makes the older cars "dated" much faster.

Although, I suppose that self-driving technology could start having the same effect on older cars if it rolls out quickly enough.

I know I don't see myself buying a used car without some of the new driving aid safety tech that has come out in just the last couple years.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 i3 Rex
Quote:
In my opinion BMW killed the resale value of pre 2017s when they came out with the 2017 with 30% better range on the batteries.!
The 2017 is actually a 50% improvement, making the pre-2017's even less appealing.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: Infinity G35
It seems like BMW could help prop up the value of used i3's if they committed to providing battery upgrades in the USA.

Why would anyone buy a car with a 70 mile battery that will eventually (at an unknown time) degrade to 40 miles? That's a borderline pointless car, especially if you don't have the range extender. If BMW said that affordable, bigger batteries will be available, then I think people would be more comfortable buying used i3's without a REX.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
I don't see anything in BMW's advertising that says you couldn't replace the battery pack on your i3...it's just that they chose not to make an upgrade to the new pack developed for the 2017 MY available in the USA as a swap. If, during the battery warranty you needed new modules, you'd get them, and since those modules aren't being made any more, you'd probably end up with the larger one under warranty, verses arbitrarily deciding you wanted the larger pack while your old one was still working as designed.

Then, you need to consider those people who do not stress the original battery pack's capacity, and paying more for a larger one isn't a big factor. In my nearly 3-years of ownership on my BEV, I have not needed more battery than I have. Longer trips are almost always MUCH longer, and an EV, in its current state, just isn't viable. There are very few DC chargers around, and I have no desire to own a Tesla. A monster battery, should you want to drive outside of the interstate system proximity means maybe waiting a day for the EVSE to recharge the thing...IOW, to me at least, not viable.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipnslider View Post
It seems like BMW could help prop up the value of used i3's if they committed to providing battery upgrades in the USA.

Why would anyone buy a car with a 70 mile battery that will eventually (at an unknown time) degrade to 40 miles? That's a borderline pointless car, especially if you don't have the range extender. If BMW said that affordable, bigger batteries will be available, then I think people would be more comfortable buying used i3's without a REX.
BMW offers them in Germany for about 9000 euro. Not exactly cheap. Here's the link:

http://bmwiforum.bmwusa.com/thread/8...3kwh-batteries
2000 M Roadster Imola Red retired
1998 Z3 2.8L retired

Last edited by The Other Tom; 04-08-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
I have taken over lease of 2014 rex for a few months. Certified is valued at 18k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
This will be a big challenge for BMW. I'd be interested in a used 2014 except for the fact that my "old" i3 could make my commute with ~10 miles range to spar. If the car lost 10% of its batter over the next few years, the car would be useless to me...

Currently, I'm considering a 2017 i3 for the exact reasons that the value of the old ones has been destroyed.
2014 BMW M5
Retired Bimmers:
2014 BMW i3
2013 BMW 550
2009 BMW 335
Old 05-09-2017, 01:55 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2016 750i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipnslider View Post

Judging from Tesla's batteries, hopefully one wouldn't lose almost half of it's range.

I think once EVs have 200-250+ mile ranges, the resale value may stabilize a bit, but you have a genuine point, they range is limited as-is, to factor in the battery loss over a decade, and it's a luxury all-season golf cart.
2012 740Li

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search