Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
What kind of Maintenance issues have you had?

I just got a 2013 328i xdrive with 40K miles on it. I ended up getting the extended warranty for 5 yrs, 60 k miles @ ~$4.5K. I am within the cancellation window with no penalty. I am wondering what kind of maintenance issues have you had to deal with?

I am wanting to figure out if this warranty is worth it or I am better off keeping that in my pocket.

I additionally know that sometimes these warranties are not always easy to use, at worst they dont cover, and at best it seems they just require followup and waiting to use.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d, 328ix, hard bargain
For $4500 it is not worth it.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 428i Gran Coupe
When you say 5yrs/60K miles, do you mean the warranty covers you for an extra five years or 60K miles from today, or covers you a total of 5yrs from the in-service date or 60K miles on the car? If the latter, cancel it now.

My car is only 2.5 years old with 25K miles. Only regular maintenance thus far.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:54 AM

The warranty covers my for 5 yrs and 60K miles from today. So that essentially bridges me to 100K miles.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Definitely worth it.

Any N20 powered car with a pre 01/2015 engine has the old timing chain which can stretch and take out your engine with it. Mine did it 3 months after warranty expired. Keep your coverage and enjoy peace of mind.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman80 View Post
The warranty covers my for 5 yrs and 60K miles from today. So that essentially bridges me to 100K miles.
No...the years covers from the in service date. If you were the first owner, it is the date you bought the car. So, 5 years from the date you bought the car, meaning it expires in March 2018. 60k does not mean 60k from your 40k, it means 60k total odometer reading. So, it would cover for another 20k miles, when the odometer reaches 60k miles. I also don't know where you get 5/60k from, since BMW Extended service contracts:

5/70k or 5/100k
6/70k or 6/100k
7/70k or 7/100k

So, I'm presuming you bought the 5/100k extended service contract? If so, it expires March 2018 or 100k on the odometer whichever occurs first.

Last edited by imtjm; 03-22-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
No...the years covers from the in service date. If you were the first owner, it is the date you bought the car. So, 5 years from the date you bought the car, meaning it expires in March 2018. 60k does not mean 60k from your 40k, it means 60k total odometer reading. So, it would cover for another 20k miles, when the odometer reaches 60k miles. I also don't know where you get 5/60k from, since BMW Extended service contracts:

5/70k or 5/100k
6/70k or 6/100k
7/70k or 7/100k
Nope, I confirmed this at time of purchase. this was from the date of my purchase and the current odometer reading. This is not from BMW (MAP I think is the name). Although I did call BMW and they had extended warranty that I could purchase from them that would start after the 4 yr 50K original warranty ran out. Their prices were about 30% higher and for 30% shorter length of time. Funny thing is they also had a 3rd party warranty that they were selling that was more in line with what I got and they mentioned that it was the same thing except cheaper.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman80 View Post
Nope, I confirmed this at time of purchase. this was from the date of my purchase and the current odometer reading. This is not from BMW (MAP I think is the name). Although I did call BMW and they had extended warranty that I could purchase from them that would start after the 4 yr 50K original warranty ran out. Their prices were about 30% higher and for 30% shorter length of time. Funny thing is they also had a 3rd party warranty that they were selling that was more in line with what I got and they mentioned that it was the same thing except cheaper.
Well, it would have been useful for you to have originally made that clear. It is assumed when you wrote that you "ended up getting the extended warranty" you mean the BMW one unless you specified that it was a third party warranty.

Whether or not the EFG MAP product is "worth it" as you asked, don't know. You might look at reviews of EFG's warranty products, reviews about EFG, and the settlement with MN AG in 2014, etc. Personally, if a company offering a warranty product cannot provide clear information on its website, I would walk away. Not very much info on EFG about the warranty terms like duration, etc., although there is a pdf of coverage levels. Doesn't have anything about if they cover dealership repair or if you have to go somewhere they specify or reimburse after repair etc. EFG in its "who we serve" notably excludes you, the MAP purchaser, so view from that perspective in terms of the extended warranty (any ext warranty for that matter). Their entire website reads how much your business will profit off of customers when you sign up with EFG to sell their products. There isn't a single end user consumer link on EFG's website, so take that for what it's worth in terms of buying the MAP product.

In terms of getting any extended warranty, I don't think spending $4500 is worth the cost.

WRT timing chain mentioned: Just because there is a new part number for the timing chain does not in of itself mean anything. There are plenty of parts which change over the lifespan of a vehicle, based on who manufacturers the product to, yes, redesign. It's worth noting that there wasn't a recall or extension of timing chain specific warranty. I don't read widespread issues about it, although there are some complaints running around, but that can be said for anything. From what I've read, the issue wasn't actually the timing chain but the guide and slide rails, which part numbers were not changed; however, folks noted the plastic guide and slide rails changed from black to white as perhaps an indicator of improved design or more durable plastic. Yet, the part numbers for those parts did not change.

Last edited by imtjm; 03-22-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerkeman View Post
Definitely worth it.

Any N20 powered car with a pre 01/2015 engine has the old timing chain which can stretch and take out your engine with it. Mine did it 3 months after warranty expired. Keep your coverage and enjoy peace of mind.
By what objective information are you basing this information on? Just because a part number changed, does not mean it was necessarily improved. Now, the guide/slide rails part numbers did not change, but they are clearly different most notably the newer ones are white and the older ones are black, at least as demonstrated by folks who had the timing chain issue and had them replaced. The timing chain issue has been attributed to those guide/slide rails and not the chain itself, yet the guide/slide rail part numbers did not change. So, figure that one out. Out of the literally millions of vehicles with the N20 engine up until the 2015 timing chain part number change, you can find maybe a handful of postings on these here interwebs about a timing chain issue. And you will note that they turned out to be the guide/slide rails.

Last edited by imtjm; 03-22-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Well, it would have been useful for you to have originally made that clear. It is assumed when you wrote that you "ended up getting the extended warranty" you mean the BMW one unless you specified that it was a third party warranty.

Whether or not the EFG MAP product is "worth it" as you asked, don't know. You might look at reviews of EFG's warranty products, reviews about EFG, and the settlement with MN AG in 2014, etc. Personally, if a company offering a warranty product cannot provide clear information on its website, I would walk away. Not very much info on EFG about the warranty terms like duration, etc., although there is a pdf of coverage levels. Doesn't have anything about if they cover dealership repair or if you have to go somewhere they specify or reimburse after repair etc. EFG in its "who we serve" notably excludes you, the MAP purchaser, so view from that perspective in terms of the extended warranty (any ext warranty for that matter). Their entire website reads how much your business will profit off of customers when you sign up with EFG to sell their products. There isn't a single end user consumer link on EFG's website, so take that for what it's worth in terms of buying the MAP product.

In terms of getting any extended warranty, I don't think spending $4500 is worth the cost.

WRT timing chain mentioned: Just because there is a new part number for the timing chain does not in of itself mean anything. There are plenty of parts which change over the lifespan of a vehicle, based on who manufacturers the product to, yes, redesign. It's worth noting that there wasn't a recall or extension of timing chain specific warranty. I don't read widespread issues about it, although there are some complaints running around, but that can be said for anything. From what I've read, the issue wasn't actually the timing chain but the guide and slide rails, which part numbers were not changed; however, folks noted the plastic guide and slide rails changed from black to white as perhaps an indicator of improved design or more durable plastic. Yet, the part numbers for those parts did not change.
So that is why I am wondering what types of costs/repairs that people have been experiencing. $4500 is a lot to pay just for piece of mind. I do still have 3 more weeks to cancel for a full refund. And yes, the more I read about EFG, the more I am leaning out the door.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i
Quote:
By what objective information are you basing this information on? Just because a part number changed, does not mean it was necessarily improved. Now, the guide/slide rails part numbers did not change, but they are clearly different most notably the newer ones are white and the older ones are black, at least as demonstrated by folks who had the timing chain issue and had them replaced. The timing chain issue has been attributed to those guide/slide rails and not the chain itself, yet the guide/slide rail part numbers did not change. So, figure that one out. Out of the literally millions of vehicles with the N20 engine up until the 2015 timing chain part number change, you can find maybe a handful of postings on these here interwebs about a timing chain issue. And you will note that they turned out to be the guide/slide rails.
The same hysteria happened in the GTI community. Same basic thing - timing chain tensioners. TC issues can be catastrophic and get a lot of attention, but a very very small % of owners experienced issues.

Past:
2010 GTI | Stage II
2007 Audi A4 | Stage I
2003 325i | DSG Transmission (yes, the old school one)
2001 325ci | ED | Silver | Sport | Premium
1995 318 Ti | Cosmos Black
Old 03-23-2017, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Objectively, I have not seen anyone post a car manufactured after 01/2015 that has had the problem. That is my basis for the claim.

There are photos showing the links have changed on the new chain - it was revised for a reason. It makes logical sense to me that improper tension of a chain (i.e. stretched) would cause improper stress the the guides causing them to break. Hence, the guides have not changed. The N47 and N63 prove BMW has made mistakes in designing timing chains as of late. Dismiss the concern all you want, but an engine replacement and 40+ days in the shop on a 'premium' vehicle just out of warranty is an experience I recommend to no one.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: E70 Xdrive48, F30 328i
2013 328i Sportline with 65,000 miles on the clock:

At around 45,000 miles blower motor replaced.
At around 49,000 miles fuel pump replaced (drivetrain malfunction while going 70+mph on the interstate).
At just under 50,000 miles Idrive controller replaced due to sticking.
Around 59,000 miles fuel tank replaced due to a seam crack. No longer under warranty, but still was able to get this done under goodwill (only paid $210 deductible instead of $2,500).

That's pretty much it so far.

Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT
Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
For $4500 it is not worth it.
I totally agree with this. Way too much $$.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 03-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
2013 328i Sportline with 65,000 miles on the clock:

At around 45,000 miles blower motor replaced.
At around 49,000 miles fuel pump replaced (drivetrain malfunction while going 70+mph on the interstate).
At just under 50,000 miles Idrive controller replaced due to sticking.
Around 59,000 miles fuel tank replaced due to a seam crack. No longer under warranty, but still was able to get this done under goodwill (only paid $210 deductible instead of $2,500).

That's pretty much it so far.
How much were each of these fixes?

Were the fuel pump and fuel tank problems covered under emission warranty? Specifically how was the fuel tank seam crack uncovered?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i
Quote:
Now, the guide/slide rails part numbers did not change, but they are clearly different most notably the newer ones are white and the older ones are black
Sorry but this is common misconception. Both old and new are white plastic. Plastic gets colored dark yellow/brown by hot oil after some use.

Quote:
Objectively, I have not seen anyone post a car manufactured after 01/2015 that has had the problem.
Simply because not that many people got them over 50,000 miles yet. We will know only when the majority will start rolling out of warranty - only then very disappointed people start post on the forum (mostly because of $$$ impact).

Last edited by F30ed; 03-23-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: E70 Xdrive48, F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
How much were each of these fixes?

Were the fuel pump and fuel tank problems covered under emission warranty? Specifically how was the fuel tank seam crack uncovered?
Don't know what the costs were because they were fixed under the warranty. But, I'd estimate, in order:

1. $500-$700
2. $750-$1000
3. $500 ($300 part and labor)
4. $2500

Fuel tank seam crack uncovered as I woke up to gas smell one morning. Took it to the dealer and that's what they told me. I knew I was going to have to fight them over this.

Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT
Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Regardless of when the warranty ends, you are betting $4500 that you will have more repairs (that are actually covered) than that amount.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Objectively, I have not seen anyone post a car manufactured after 01/2015 that has had the problem. That is my basis for the claim.

There are photos showing the links have changed on the new chain - it was revised for a reason. It makes logical sense to me that improper tension of a chain (i.e. stretched) would cause improper stress the the guides causing them to break. Hence, the guides have not changed. The N47 and N63 prove BMW has made mistakes in designing timing chains as of late. Dismiss the concern all you want, but an engine replacement and 40+ days in the shop on a 'premium' vehicle just out of warranty is an experience I recommend to no one.
actually the guides have changed. and for all the hubub about the timing chain being changed because part number changed 1/2015, I have not seen a single before and after comparison of the timing chain. If you have one, that would be nice to see. It's interesting also that it was reported for some N20 and N26 2012 and 2013 models, so if it were so widespread, you'd figure it would have been for more than those two years. Anyway, I take some issues as being amplified disproportionately online.

Last edited by imtjm; 03-24-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: f30 328xi sportline
Knock on wood, my 2013 328xi n26 had only had normal wear and tear maintenance with 61,xxx miles with the exception of a recall.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Don't know what the costs were because they were fixed under the warranty. But, I'd estimate, in order:

1. $500-$700
2. $750-$1000
3. $500 ($300 part and labor)
4. $2500

Fuel tank seam crack uncovered as I woke up to gas smell one morning. Took it to the dealer and that's what they told me. I knew I was going to have to fight them over this.
Wow the fuel tank seam crack is a scary one. So was the $210 deductible due to CPO/ESC?

Hopefully the N26 PZEV warranty will cover the fuel pump and fuel tank, and maybe the AC blower and iDrive control can be easy DIY's to attempt.

Last edited by namelessman; 03-23-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
If you have $4500, in other words, its not just money you are rolling into the deal and financing, I would cancel the warranty and immediately stick $4500 into a fairly liquid side account; some kind of money market account, bond fund or whatever something with a low yet all but steady rate of return and forget about it. Add to it periodically and consider this your car fund. If something happens, the money is there, if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, not $4500 all at once anyway, then you come out ahead. Or if you have an 'emergency fund' anyway, just stick it in there and pad your emergency fund.

$4500 is silly for 'piece of mind' unless you don't care. But if you didn't care about money, you wouldn't be buying a used 4 year old 3 series with 40k miles on the clock.

But.... some guys are right. If something truly major happens. It will cost you more than the car is worth to fix, so you know... theres that.

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 03-23-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
But.... some guys are right. If something truly major happens. It will cost you more than the car is worth to fix, so you know... theres that.
The ESC(BMW and aftermarket alike) has aggregate payout cap that usually sets the maximum total payout as the NADA value of the car at time of current repair.

If it cost more than the car's worth(or a fixed max, of, say, $5k, whichever is higher), the ESC will not pay out more than the car's value.

That's one major difference of ESC compared to new car warranty(which has no cap).

Last edited by namelessman; 03-23-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:51 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
If you have $4500, in other words, its not just money you are rolling into the deal and financing, I would cancel the warranty and immediately stick $4500 into a fairly liquid side account; some kind of money market account, bond fund or whatever something with a low yet all but steady rate of return and forget about it. Add to it periodically and consider this your car fund. If something happens, the money is there, if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, not $4500 all at once anyway, then you come out ahead. Or if you have an 'emergency fund' anyway, just stick it in there and pad your emergency fund.

$4500 is silly for 'piece of mind' unless you don't care. But if you didn't care about money, you wouldn't be buying a used 4 year old 3 series with 40k miles on the clock.

Extended warranties are always risk/reward. What is the risk that there will be some major repair or repairs -- that are not normal wear and tear, and are not exclusions in a 3rd party contract -- that will exceed $4500? To me, there's not enough reward to justify $4500 of risk.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 03-24-2017, 05:48 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F06
I don't like extended warranties. Lots of profit are built into the prices.

Also, there are often deductibles, conditions and exclusions. You should read the warranty carefully.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search