Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 and 2016 i3s
Bimmertech HiFi Amplifier installation and review

Hey all,

Purchased the Bimmertech HiFi audio amplifier for my i3, replaces the factory HK amplifier. Wanted to share a video on how to install it, I was impressed at how simple and clean the installation was.

As for audio quality improvements out of the box, the biggest change I noticed was that I no longer needed to increase the treble level in the headunit; right at the 0 marker is where the high end sounds best with this amp, in my opinion. Big step up, as before the upgrade I was running the treble at 3 or 4 clicks increased!

The bass response is also improved, allows you to perceive more of the visceral bass in the audio tracks without getting sloppy or overdoing it. I still run the bass up one or two clicks from the 0 point to get the audio where I want it.

However, the coolest part of the amp is the customization ability it offers. Each of the 4 main channels have a 30 band EQ that is yours to manipulate, and the front center and both sub channels have 16 band EQs that are freely changeable. All you need is a laptop and the software from Audiotech Fischer.

Installation video:

Review Video:

Yes, I know the audio is not the greatest. My phone is my best camera, so the audio is...lackluster.

-EDIT- Just a note, prior to the vehicle going in for any open service actions or for any service where the dealership may need to program the car you will need to reinstall the factory amp. The HK amp is on one of the body networks, and while it does not affect normal operation for it to be missing it will not allow the dealer to program the car until it can communicate with every module that should be installed in the vehicle.

Last edited by God-Follower; 04-11-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Very cool. Thanks for posting the review.

Tim
Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 3GT 28i
Nice review- especially like seeing how you install the amp.

Are you running the stock H/K speakers or do you have upgraded speakers in place (Bavsound for instance)?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
Nice review- especially like seeing how you install the amp.

Are you running the stock H/K speakers or do you have upgraded speakers in place (Bavsound for instance)?
Still running stock speakers. If I upgrade any of the speakers it would be the two front low range speakers, the ones in the kick panels. I think they stand to have the largest range of improvement. The mids and highs fill in beautifully with the stock mid ranges and tweeters.

Sent from my A0001 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 3GT 28i
I actually have yet to hear the H/K system in the i3. We have one on order but it won't be here until May. We rented a 2015 car for a few days before we committed to buy and it had the base four speaker setup. It was bad enough that we went with the H/K without ever hearing it.

After the car gets here I'll have a listen and decide what if anything I want to change.

Interestingly the Bavsound package changes everything except for the kick-panel woofers which is what you are considering swapping. In my case I'm pretty sensitive to the mid and upper frequency stuff. Anything that sounds excessively bright at the top end makes me want to turn the music off.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:34 AM

That is the beauty of this amp, it lets you fine tune the music to your preference. High frequency sound reproduction is much more forgiving in terms of EQ capabilities, you can only do so much with a sub-par woofer. However, with tweeter or semi decent mid range speaker you can totally change the behavior of the system just by altering your equalizer and maybe some crossover tweaks.

I have not felt it worthwhile to alter the inline crossovers in the i3, but they are not too hard to get to in the doors and are a breeze in the dash speaker.

Sent from my A0001 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-10-2017, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: i3
That looks very good. It is important to keep the amp at home. BMW does not make updates in the car without the origial AMP installed.

I did add the Director from Audiotec-Fischer for saving some sound setups and an addidional amplifier (MA-10FX) for the subwoofers (MB Quard 250 from the 80's) in the engine room where normally the REX engine is. So no space reduction but full sound. The HK Speaker Sound is pretty good when you find a good combination with the crossover and equalizer parameters from the Audiotec AMP.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:16 PM

Nice combo! And good point on removing it before service programs the car, it will not allow them to program the vehicle without reinstalling the factory amp.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
That only applies if the OEM amp is MOST (fiber optic cable inputs) or if it has CAN wires.

The i3 HK amp in the USA does not have any MOST or CAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmanager View Post
That looks very good. It is important to keep the amp at home. BMW does not make updates in the car without the origial AMP installed.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Old 04-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That only applies if the OEM amp is MOST (fiber optic cable inputs) or if it has CAN wires.

The i3 HK amp in the USA does not have any MOST or CAN.
Incorrect. The i3 HK amp is on the K-CAN4, and shows up as not communicating when doing a vehicle test in ISTA after doing this upgrade.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search