POLL: Am I The Only One Who Likes Their F30? - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

View Poll Results: Am I The Only One Who Likes Their F30?
Yes, You're the only one. You're on your second F30. Whats wrong with you? 7 6.42%
NO, I love my car. Its all a bunch of hype! 88 80.73%
Sort of but I can't wait until my lease is up so I can jump ship. 8 7.34%
Bro, do you even Cadillac? 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Guys, "car is on rails when on limit" means only one thing : you reached your driving talent limit before car is even at 6/10ths.

In immortal words of a guy born only 35 miles north of me "If everything is under control, you are driving too slow." Best. Quote. Ever.

So, neither F30 nor E90, nor E46 (nor F1 racecar for that matter) will feel planted and on rails when driving talent allows pushing it past 7-8/10ths.

The problem is when car FEELS, to admittedly unexperienced and not schooled driver (don't worry, you are in 99.5% of the population), like it is out of control in the same situation where another car FELT perfectly in control. Feeling might not be scientific, but it is the strongest selling point for unnecessary goods. Too bad y'all got outvoted by people whose Camry felt on rails before jumping in on a $299/month lease on a BMW.

Peace out, brothers

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention it after at least 50 times I already DID mention it. I do NOT have any driving talent. If I did have any of that, I wouldn't have needed to write a check for that 981 in my signature - it would have been given to me as a bonus for signing up with a racing team.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Bimmerfest mobile app

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]

Last edited by Mark K; 04-11-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
No. It's clearly the low rolling resistance tires not the suspension.
Tires on the 2012 328i in C&D's long term evaluation were Pirelli Cinturato P7 RFT 225/45R18 91Y.

Other F30 cars with different tires tested by C&D produced better braking and skidpad numbers. For example, a 2016 328i with package ZTR and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires generated 0.93 g on the skidpad and 163 ft. braking from 70 to 0 mph.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Tires on the 2012 328i in C&D's long term evaluation were Pirelli Cinturato P7 RFT 225/45R18 91Y.

Other F30 cars with different tires tested by C&D produced better braking and skidpad numbers. For example, a 2016 328i with package ZTR and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires generated 0.93 g on the skidpad and 163 ft. braking from 70 to 0 mph.
With ZTR, the car gets better brakes too.

Also with ZTR, they probably ran the test on Sport+ which would be too harsh for daily driving.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 60K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014

Last edited by mr_clueless; 04-11-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
I have a subscription to C&D that expires in June (paid $5/year on Amazon.com since 2013). I'm not planning to renew, as even though a 1 year renewal costs about the same as a pizza lunch combo from Little Caesars, the magazine really doesn't offer anything worthwhile to me. I've noticed that C&D magazine has become notably thinner in the past year, with fewer in depth reviews and comparison tests. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the magazine's subscriber base is shrinking rapidly.

The one thing that Car and Driver does well is instrumented testing, and their test sheets are readily available at no cost on their website anyway.
Not going to defend C and D based on your own wants but hard copy magazines are going the way of the dinosaur. I don't have the more expensive online subscription but it's clear that this has been the trend for all magazines for a number of years now. Maybe there's more content online.

Personally I'm still a fan of Car and Driver. I subscribe to Road & Track as well but find CD more interesting and fun. They both come from an enthusiast's point of view. That's my demographic. By the way there is an R & D article from a few years ago comparing the E90 to the F30. It's not favorable to the F30.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-65-1-roa0813/
Old 04-11-2017, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
same article linked above:

My uneducated guess is that BMW went with a cheaper suspension design on the F30 and it shows.
Cheaper? You sure about that? This is an interesting read from Edmunds and breaks down the F30 M sport suspension in fine detail, comparing it to that of the E90

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...alkaround.html

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5
Old 04-11-2017, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: F30 340i & 328iM Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Cheaper? You sure about that? This is an interesting read from Edmunds and breaks down the F30 M sport suspension in fine detail, comparing it to that of the E90

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...alkaround.html
Great article
Old 04-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i
I could have easily bought an N54 E90 335i, there was one on the lot right next to mine, CPO, only 15k miles (7k more than my N55 F30), cheaper, etc. In the end it came down to reliability and styling (purely subjective) for me. I preferred the F30 look, and much preferred the reliability. I know there's a tradeoff in power potential to some extent, but it isn't enough for me to overcome wanting a solid DD I can still romp on a bit. I'm not a seasoned road racer or hardcore enthusiast enough to the point where I'd notice or use the handling and feel difference between it and previous 3 series. The car works well for me, that's pretty much all I need. So yeah, that said, I love mine. I might think about getting a higher mileage E90 to play with though if I can find one where the aesthetics are still in good shape.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stupidsailor View Post
I could have easily bought an N54 E90 335i, there was one on the lot right next to mine, CPO, only 15k miles (7k more than my N55 F30), cheaper, etc. In the end it came down to reliability and styling (purely subjective) for me. I preferred the F30 look, and much preferred the reliability. I know there's a tradeoff in power potential to some extent, but it isn't enough for me to overcome wanting a solid DD I can still romp on a bit. I'm not a seasoned road racer or hardcore enthusiast enough to the point where I'd notice or use the handling and feel difference between it and previous 3 series. The car works well for me, that's pretty much all I need. So yeah, that said, I love mine. I might think about getting a higher mileage E90 to play with though if I can find one where the aesthetics are still in good shape.
I think you made a good choice. E90 was a difficult choice for me after de-contenting began ca. 2009. There was lots of quality complaints too. That's why I held on to my E46 forever.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 60K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I think you made a good choice. E90 was a difficult choice for me after de-contenting began ca. 2009. There was lots of quality complaints too. That's why I held on to my E46 forever.
How much you wanna bet when the next 3 series comes out and its even softer, more disconnected and tech oriented than the F30 that people will talk about the good ol' F30 and how much of a driver's car it was.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Novice driver

Quote:
With ZTR, the car gets better brakes too.
Yes sir! Based on tech specs, the M Sport brakes included with ZTR are better than the stock F30 brakes. But the stock brakes are excellent in their own right. The 320i ZSP with Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT tires and stock brakes C&D tested also recorded 163 ft. 70 to 0 braking distance. On the skidpad, this 320i generated less lateral acceleration, 0.87g, compared to the ZTR equipped 328i.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Novice driver

Quote:
How much you wanna bet when the next 3 series comes out and its even softer, more disconnected and tech oriented than the F30 that people will talk about the good ol' F30 and how much of a driver's car it was.
I think such talk may well materialize, even if the G20 3-series turns out NOT to be "softer, more disconnected and tech oriented" than previous generations.

Car and Driver wrote the following about the '99 E46 in its April 1999 issue, page 54:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Highs: Ultra-refined machinery, throttle seems to anticipate your foot's next move, exceptionally stable as a highway cruiser.

Lows: The refinement, impressive as it is, gets in the way of the "sport" we expect of the 3-series.

The Verdict: It's with mixed emotions that we announce the 3-series' graduation to adulthood.
20 years later in 2019, I wouldn't be surprised if Car and Driver exudes similar commentary in reference to the G20. It's almost as if a directive of "rinse, lather, repeat" is applied for each new 3-series generation.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I think such talk may well materialize, even if the G20 3-series turns out NOT to be "softer, more disconnected and tech oriented" than previous generations.

Car and Driver wrote the following about the '99 E46 in its April 1999 issue, page 54:

20 years later in 2019, I wouldn't be surprised if Car and Driver exudes similar commentary in reference to the G20. It's almost as if a directive of "rinse, lather, repeat" is applied for each new 3-series generation.
They write the same article every 6 years. was the same with the GTI, and so on. Unless the G20 totally blows my mind I am just going to buy this car at lease end. There is no other car on the market I want except maybe the A4 but I would have to get one CPO and if Im doing that, I would rather buy 'my' used car vs. someone else's. The G20 is going to need to be mind blowing and I doubt it will be.

Which reminds me, if I have the latest iDrive and a 2016 328 can I pay to have Apple Car Play uploaded? its really the only thing that is kind of archaic about the tech scene in this car. Although I honestly have rediscovered howard stern again after all these years and am listening to that guy on Sirius all the time. Would just be nice to have the ACP interface for ease of use and texts and all that

Old 04-15-2017, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: F30 340i & 328iM Sport

I like my car, but some asshat at Wal-Mart didnt...this pisses me off! It's deep, gonna need sanding and paint $$$!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335x Manual
Didn't think this needed a new thread. I own a 2013 335X. In for routine service today and was given a 330x auto (mine is MT). I have to say I really like the car. I think it handles better than my car, less floaty and tighter feel. The pick up based on my very poorly calibrated rear end is almost as fast. I even was able to sort of enjoy the auto. Did a little paddle shifting. This feels like a luxury sports sedan since it has leather, cold weather, comfort access and nav. My 335 is stripper, nothing but heated seats. So while I like my car I am intrigued bu this one, may have to see what kind of deals they make n service loaners (I have an absolutely wonderful and understanding wife)
Old 04-19-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgossin View Post
Didn't think this needed a new thread. I own a 2013 335X. In for routine service today and was given a 330x auto (mine is MT). I have to say I really like the car. I think it handles better than my car, less floaty and tighter feel. The pick up based on my very poorly calibrated rear end is almost as fast. I even was able to sort of enjoy the auto. Did a little paddle shifting. This feels like a luxury sports sedan since it has leather, cold weather, comfort access and nav. My 335 is stripper, nothing but heated seats. So while I like my car I am intrigued bu this one, may have to see what kind of deals they make n service loaners (I have an absolutely wonderful and understanding wife)
"accidentally" leave this post up on her screen and earn some brownie points.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
"accidentally" leave this post up on her screen and earn some brownie points.
well played. I actually went home for lunch and took her for a ride. This was the first automatic that i have driven in a long time that I went wow I could enjoy this car. Very impressed with the engine too. I don't track my cars but this one was very impressive. I have only had my current one for a year (as of 4/23) so this is a problem

I was one of those who was seduced by the name and the engine, bought the car and then did my research. I was so focused on a stick it never occurred to me that most things I took for granted were not included. I came form an Acura TSX three years older but ahead in technology. anyway this is a first world problem
Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
well played. I actually went home for lunch and took her for a ride. This was the first automatic that i have driven in a long time that I went wow I could enjoy this car. Very impressed with the engine too. I don't track my cars but this one was very impressive. I have only had my current one for a year (as of 4/23) so this is a problem

I was one of those who was seduced by the name and the engine, bought the car and then did my research. I was so focused on a stick it never occurred to me that most things I took for granted were not included. I came form an Acura TSX three years older but ahead in technology. anyway this is a first world problem
yeah, the autos are awesome in the f30. i was (am?) a staunch manual person (never owned an auto) but after having several f30 loaners, i could easily see myself owning an auto.

as regards suspension changes, i don't find a big improvement between my car (pre lci) and lci loaners that i have had. (i have dhp.)

and indeed, base bmw's do come more stripped than almost anything in the compact class or higher, let alone luxury cars. you really have to go econo-subcompact to find lower levels of standard equipment. bmw puts more of their money in the drivetrain/chassis (weight distribution, engines performance/efficiency, brake technology, dsc, etc.).

Last edited by mr_clueless; 04-19-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
yeah, the autos are awesome in the f30. i was (am?) a staunch manual person (never owned an auto) but after having several f30 loaners, i could easily see myself owning an auto.

as regards suspension changes, i don't find a big improvement between my car (pre lci) and lci loaners that i have had. (i have dhp.)

and indeed, base bmw's do come more stripped than almost anything in the compact class or higher, let alone luxury cars. you really have to go econo-subcompact to find lower levels of standard equipment. bmw puts more of their money in the drivetrain/chassis (weight distribution, engines performance/efficiency, brake technology, dsc, etc.).
The F30 8AT mated to N20/N26(not enough experience with N55), plus 50/50 chassis, is a superb combo that make it worth paying BMW premium.

My feeling is also that LCI and pre-LCI suspension are almost identical with a few incremental tweaks. F30 chassis + suspension is still very far from being E46/E90-like.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, the 328/330 has torque for days and your butt dyno probably isn't far off. When I drove my friend's 340i a while back, I was surprised getting back into my car how close it felt. Part of this has to do with me running JB+ which ups the PSI by 4 and adds around 25WHP but still, pretty close in feeling. Also has to do with Auto vs. the manual and just being to mash throttle and go in my car. I just didn't walk away from the 340 being blown away by the power really. It was also ridiculously quiet.

So smooth though. So smooth

Old 04-19-2017, 11:54 AM

Well back in my 335, I am definitely intrigued by the 330. One of these days I will take their head service tech out for a ride, who is supposed to be great with suspension. Maybe a set of adjustable coilovers may do the trick. If I also wasn't a more than occasional cheap SOB, new tires would help too

I do appreciate the feedback and comments around here. Did I mention it was also imperial blue but with saddle leather and sport seats (I see issues with me already), mine has the beige sensetac or fake leather (really???) The brown looked great I tend to be more conservative (wrong side of 60) but it looked sharp.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
The F30 8AT mated to N20/N26(not enough experience with N55), plus 50/50 chassis, is a superb combo that make it worth paying BMW premium.
The turbo three and four cylinder gasoline engines offered in BMW F30 cars (N16, N20, B38, B48) are great, no doubt. But I think it's the manual transmission combined with these engines that make F30 a compelling choice. In the U.S. market, only one other RWD car in the compact executive car segment currently offers a manual transmission - Cadillac ATS. And ATS' manual transmission and engine are not as refined as BMW's offerings.

All compact executive sedans offer a modern automatic tranny (slushbox or DCT), so this is not a distinguishing feature for F30.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: e46 330, e90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstrucksbuses View Post
Keeping in mind yes I did come from a wagon, however lots of mechanical experience including my first car, an '84 318i. Overall I'm extremely happy with the cari.. Future plans are to keep it clean and shiny, tint the widows, and above all- drive it! These are driver's cars for those who take pride in good driving!! Happy motoring
Speaking of wagons, my previous 3 series was an F31, and it was fantastic in just about every way -- except for the somewhat numb steering (which was fixed to an extent by the dynamic handling package, and better tires, but could never really get away from).

I switched to an E90 335 late last year and, any time I drive anything else (including a newer F30), I hop back into the E90, pull off, and grin at the steering feel. It really is that much better. But of course the E90 isn't quite as compliant, suspension is harsher, and the tranny just isn't the same. The E90 no question just 'feels' more like a BMW, and is more fun to drive, but the F31 was a better DD, and I miss the flexibility and cargo hauling ability quite a bit.

Having said all that, I've heard that the LCI improves the electronic steering, and can't wait for the 2019 models to see if it gets even better. There really is no other wagon out there in the US market like the BMW. I may be enticed back to a new BMW yet ... as long as there is space in the garage for my E90
2008 535xiT | sure miss those seats! (sold)
2002 M3 | why did I sell you again?! (sold)
1980 320i (gone but not forgotten!)

Last edited by blittler; 04-19-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335 X-Drive 6MT
I've been watching this thread for a while and figured I would give my two cents.

My first BMW memory was golfing with my dad in the summer of '83. Pulling into the parking lot, he parked right next to a 2002. I was only 15 and just starting to pay attention to cars I might want to drive, but I was hooked. From that moment I knew I wanted a BMW when I could afford one.

In 2014 I bought an X1 with the N20 and I really like the car but didn't like the ten year old radio and still really wanted a 335. Before I bought my 335 I test drove a Fusion Sport and a few others, but none of them tugged at my heart like the 3 series.

So, I guess, I love my 335 because I enjoy driving it so much. Sure it's a bit floaty and the stock radio is mediocre, but I cannot think of another sports sedan, with a stick, that offers the same driving experience. Plus, the nearest Audi dealer is 88 miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
The turbo three and four cylinder gasoline engines offered in BMW F30 cars (N16, N20, B38, B48) are great, no doubt. But I think it's the manual transmission combined with these engines that make F30 a compelling choice. In the U.S. market, only one other RWD car in the compact executive car segment currently offers a manual transmission - Cadillac ATS. And ATS' manual transmission and engine are not as refined as BMW's offerings.

All compact executive sedans offer a modern automatic tranny (slushbox or DCT), so this is not a distinguishing feature for F30.
Going to have to strongly disagree here. The most compelling factor with the F30 is how seamlessly it works with the 8 speed auto. This has been universally praised. Even when the auto mags are going on about the numb steering or 'lack of feeling' with the current gen, they praise the harmony between the turbo 4 and the 8AT. It is basically flawless and it is in my opinion what separates the F30 from other competitors.

I am almost 4 years into daily driving the F30 and I still marvel at how well that combo works. Again, I have not driven the new Audi A4 but so far, nothing else I have driven touches the F30 powertrain.

Edmunds, back in 2012.

An Automatic That Works
Whatever the purists might believe, this engine is born to run with the eight-speed automatic. It's a lovely device and, in our test car, had the optional paddle shifters which is a tacit admission from BMW that the old model's push-pull paddle shift arrangement was, well, silly. This one runs the same one-up, one-down philosophy as M has been using for years, and it works intuitively. You can also change gears on the shift lever, which works nicely as well, or you can leave the whole business to the 328i's big brain.

From Motortrend, re: the 2017 330i

Also, the transmission calibration is top notch with smooth, refined upshifts and rightly timed downshifts that include matched-revs throttle blips when done manually. We are very pleased with the easily located/actuated console-mounted drive-mode toggle (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+) that makes noticeable changes to the driveline, plus the short-cuts to access more inspired progress (sport Drive, a manual gate on the shift stub, and shift paddles) that technical director Frank Markus often likens to holding pants up with "belt, suspenders, and Sansabelt." Altogether, this is perhaps the most seamlessly integrated turbo-four and automatic in the segment, even if it's not the most powerful.

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 04-19-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: '14 328i xDrive
I'm fresh off 11 years of driving VWs and have only had my 2014 328i xDrive for a couple weeks so probably not the most meaningful vote. Sure, part of it is probably the honeymoon phase after pining after BMW for years, but I absolutely love it. The only gripe I have is with the halogens, but I bought it CPO and it had everything else I wanted, and then some, so giving up the angel eyes was worth it. Of course now that I don't have them, that's all I want

Quote:
Going to have to strongly disagree here. The most compelling factor with the F30 is how seamlessly it works with the 8 speed auto. This has been universally praised. Even when the auto mags are going on about the numb steering or 'lack of feeling' with the current gen, they praise the harmony between the turbo 4 and the 8AT. It is basically flawless and it is in my opinion what separates the F30 from other competitors.

I am almost 4 years into daily driving the F30 and I still marvel at how well that combo works. Again, I have not driven the new Audi A4 but so far, nothing else I have driven touches the F30 powertrain.
I agree with Kaf on this, especially when pushed into the sport auto (even in comfort mode). I really wanted to return to a MT for my next purchase but when I test drove the F30 and slipped into the manual mode (even sport auto) I quickly decided I didn't need to chase an MT. Then I changed to the sport setting and it was game over.

I've driven a couple A4s (including MY2017) and although they were no doubt very nice, to me, they just couldn't compete. Compared to the A4, the F30 powertrain just felt so effortless.

Granted, I need more than 2 weeks to fully assess what I'm driving, but my first impressions of the F30 definitely surpass the A4 and every VW I've ever driven.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search