Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Price Premium for Custom Order vs. Lot Car?

Invoice minus incentives minus $1000? Invoice minus incentives minus $500? On a custom build, what would be an acceptable price for Bimmerfest folks? What premium, if any, should I expect to pay when ordering a car vs. getting one off the lot?
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
None.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:15 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
There is no standard "invoice plus" price -if at all. The dealer/salesperson decides the minimum over invoice, not you. Try that with an M2 and most probably a dealer will just ignore you completely, for example.

So try to find first if the dealer that you are working with do the "invoice plus" price and then determine what to offer if they do. They can also tell you if they have additional incentives for you to take a car off the lot vs ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Invoice minus incentives minus $1000? Invoice minus incentives minus $500? On a custom build, what would be an acceptable price for Bimmerfest folks? What premium, if any, should I expect to pay when ordering a car vs. getting one off the lot?

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Old 04-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
This may be a bit off topic but just my .02c:

Custom ordering if for enthusiasts with the time, money and patience. For the most part dealers know what sells and what doesn't; 320i base; 328 w/ premium and lighting, 335i Msport are the prime vehicles but people usually compromise and buy options they don't want. For instance, if I buy an M3 it will be custom order. by custom I mean NO options. a F80 M3 come standard with the minimal options I want anyway. Dealers make tons of money off of $15k in options.

There's one BIG incentive to military overseas when ordering a BMW, no sales tax. The German dealer will have an American rep at their dealers around bases but they may only stock a few cars. I ordered my wife's 320i with every option minus premium pkg (no moonroof either). no sales tax plus not buying expensive options like moon roof, comfort access, leather brought the price down dramatically; only paying 35k for lighting, sport, driver assist, cameras, heated power seats, navigation, what would have been $41k stateside invoice.

Dealers stock mostly what is in demand or what people will settle for. I personally think spending 82K which M3s go for in the states is ludicrous. especially when a 30k Mustang GT is comparable in every category, that's not including the GT350 which still costs less than a base M3. The M2 is one hell of a machine but INSANELY overpriced, especially when BMW out-did itself and mistakenly made the M240i faster and cheaper. The M5 is a very fast machine. Probably the fastest car I've ever driven but scores extremely low in the "fun to drive" category. The most engaging BMW I have ever owned was a 1991 E30 320i coupe for 2 grand.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Sedan Driver

Mein Auto: Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post

Custom ordering if for enthusiasts with the time, money and patience. For the most part dealers know what sells and what doesn't; 320i base; 328 w/ premium and lighting, 335i Msport are the prime vehicles but people usually compromise and buy options they don't want. For instance, if I buy an M3 it will be custom order. by custom I mean NO options. a F80 M3 come standard with the minimal options I want anyway. Dealers make tons of money off of $15k in options.
Dealers stock mostly what is in demand or what people will settle for...
^ Definitely agree with the above. Price out what you really want/need and find out what you can price with the dealer on a lot car. Most of the cars I found on the lot were stripper 320i's or loaded up 328i/340i's. I went with custom as they had build allotments, wanted very specific features, and got a price I liked that was much cheaper than what i'd settle for in their lot.

And that +/- invoice definitely depends on lots of market factors. If it's near the end of the month I'm sure you'll get better deal on lot than a custom build they won't realize the sale until next month.

BMW Athletics Soft Shell Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug

Last edited by anotheran; 04-17-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '16 GLE350
I would be looking for a discount to take a lot car. So I am supposed to pay my money, for what you wanted to order? Fine as long as I don't have to pay for options I don't need. I hate to keep referring to MB in my posts but they're my biggest gripe right now. 90% of the cars on the lot have the parking assist pkg for $1300 which can parallel park for you. I grew up in the city and been parallel parking all my life, it was even part of our driving test. I'm not paying over a grand for something I don't want. But yet, I have to search for one w/ a $575 trailer hitch (and includes trailer brake wiring), and this is on an suv? Dealer lot cars "are what sell" because that's what's there to be sold. I don't buy into the idea that they know exactly what their customers want. They know what they can get away with shoving down their throats (no offense to the fine BF sponsors on here ).

Quote:

There's one BIG incentive to military overseas when ordering a BMW, no sales tax. The German dealer will have an American rep at their dealers around bases but they may only stock a few cars. I ordered my wife's 320i with every option minus premium pkg (no moonroof either). no sales tax plus not buying expensive options like moon roof, comfort access, leather brought the price down dramatically; only paying 35k for lighting, sport, driver assist, cameras, heated power seats, navigation, what would have been $41k stateside invoice.

Dealers stock mostly what is in demand or what people will settle for. I personally think spending 82K which M3s go for in the states is ludicrous. especially when a 30k Mustang GT is comparable in every category, that's not including the GT350 which still costs less than a base M3. The M2 is one hell of a machine but INSANELY overpriced, especially when BMW out-did itself and mistakenly made the M240i faster and cheaper. The M5 is a very fast machine. Probably the fastest car I've ever driven but scores extremely low in the "fun to drive" category. The most engaging BMW I have ever owned was a 1991 E30 320i coupe for 2 grand.
'06 Land Rover LR3 HSE

Gone: '14 320i 6MT ZSP ZPP ZLP ZCW PCD 5/14, '12 MB ML350 diesel, '11 Accord 5mt, '10 Acura MDX, '08 Accord 5mt, '06 Nissan Xterra 6mt, '98 BMW 528i, '95 Mazda Millenia
Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 PM
This Space 4 Rent

Mein Auto: 17 F33 B58 xDrive
When you order a car, the dealer knows it will be sold in exactly 0 days after it arrives. They have your money before BMW has theirs most likely. There is no reason to pay a premium and since the car doesn't yet exist you can comparison shop dealers all over the country by phone or email if you want. So no, there is no extra cost and in addition to getting what you want, no more and no less, you are in a good position to negotiate.

All that being said, cars already on the lot can at times be discounted in ways that a car you order never will be. (Mr. Kafka will be here soon to expand on that). Sometimes the dealer just wants to clear a space, sometimes BMW wants to hit sales targets, sometimes the car just isn't that attractive and like the ugly kid who needs a pork chop tied around his neck so the dog will play with him, the car needs a little "trunk money" to find a buyer.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteZak View Post
When you order a car, the dealer knows it will be sold in exactly 0 days after it arrives. They have your money before BMW has theirs most likely. There is no reason to pay a premium and since the car doesn't yet exist you can comparison shop dealers all over the country by phone or email if you want. So no, there is no extra cost and in addition to getting what you want, no more and no less, you are in a good position to negotiate.

All that being said, cars already on the lot can at times be discounted in ways that a car you order never will be. (Mr. Kafka will be here soon to expand on that). Sometimes the dealer just wants to clear a space, sometimes BMW wants to hit sales targets, sometimes the car just isn't that attractive and like the ugly kid who needs a pork chop tied around his neck so the dog will play with him, the car needs a little "trunk money" to find a buyer.
A factory-ordered car will also be devoid of "lot rash," especially if you require that it is delivered without being washed by the dealer's wash monkeys... different from trunk monkeys... but not by much.

Kafka buys last year's left-overs that BMW and the dealers really want to get rid of. They're taking a bath on Kafka's cars.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 PM

yeah we appreciated knowing our car had just arrived. We arrived to the German dealer fairly early. We walked by the car at one point as they were taking all the white film off the hood and trunk. All kinds or wires were hanging out of it (updates and loading German maps) plus charging the battery as they worked. It didn't even occur to us that was our vehicle.

BMW will build the car without the check BUT will not let it leave the factory until they have a cashiers check signed by the buyer. That was a fiasco as the car was ready days before the dealer expected it to be. They wouldn't let me see the numbers but the manager told me the cost BMW charges to leave the factory vs MSRP or what the car sells for are unbelievable, basically if you think it costs more to manufacture a F30 vs a Honda civic you'd be wrong. "your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" he said.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:15 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
On an order the dealer is just processing paper. No floor plan loan etc. Get it trough the PCD & they don't even see the car till you bring it in for maintenance.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPK/MPE 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
470 WHP of BURBBLES
HOME FROM PAINT
Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
Quote:
what the car sells for are unbelievable, basically if you think it costs more to manufacture a F30 vs a Honda civic you'd be wrong. "your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" he said.
I've long suspected that aside from labor costs, a 320i costs the same to develop and build as a Honda Civic. Only a few things costs more in a 320i, such as rear disc brakes versus rear drum brakes and the run flat tires might cost a few dollars more, but not a huge amount.

About 10 years ago, I saw in print the amount that BMW paid Magna to build the X3 (E83). Not very much.

Quite a few years ago, someone from GM commented that a Cadillac costs nearly the same as a Chevrolet to build. About $300 more.

I attended a Jaguar lecture where it was mentioned that it cost roughly $1B to develop a car, whether it sells 400,000 copies per year or 15,000 copies per year.
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=951692
Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 340
none, i agree. ordered a 2017 340i with the options and packages i wanted that i could not find locally at 12% off MSRP and still felt i could push for another $1k with effort but feel very good where i am at.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
I've long suspected that aside from labor costs, a 320i costs the same to develop and build as a Honda Civic. Only a few things costs more in a 320i, such as rear disc brakes versus rear drum brakes and the run flat tires might cost a few dollars more, but not a huge amount.

About 10 years ago, I saw in print the amount that BMW paid Magna to build the X3 (E83). Not very much.

Quite a few years ago, someone from GM commented that a Cadillac costs nearly the same as a Chevrolet to build. About $300 more.

I attended a Jaguar lecture where it was mentioned that it cost roughly $1B to develop a car, whether it sells 400,000 copies per year or 15,000 copies per year.
Final assembly is a small part of the cost of a car. For a long time, the stampings were made elsewhere. But, with newer factories, the stamping operation is on-site, improving efficiency: rolls of steel go in one end of a building and a car comes out the other end.

Back in the 1960's GM toyed the idea of building a premium compact car, a small car with all the features and build quality of a Cadillac. They figured out that building a small, but real Cadillac would save them about $15/car over a large car and that was the end of that idea.

Back in the 1960's American Motors and BMW discussed AM building the E10 (1600, 1800, 2002) for the U.S. market. But, marketing studies determined that Americans bought their cars by the pound and by the foot, and few Americans would be willing to pay what it would cost to build a BMW here.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 PM

what your paying for is the price for future R&D, new moldings and state of the art building processes. As long as their overhead and actual cost of material is below a manufacturer quarterly earnings they are a successful company. This is why BMW is as successful as it is. the name BMW built for itself in the 80's and 90's is venerable and they know they can sell a sedan with tuned suspension for a premium because of it. BMW doubles-down and (especially very recently) claims far inferior power output of their engines. When their cars outperform the competition they claim their heritage (partly true... they make damn good sport sedans). The largest under reporting of power from Munich came out with the new M240i: claimed 320 crank hp.... while multiple unbiased dyno's show 330-340 TO THE WHEELS, were talking roughly 380-390 crank HP. I've seen multiple videos of a M240i pulling away from M2's.. the N55 has been outclassed. the N54 was perfected with the S55.... 2 is always better than 1.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post

Is there any objective study to show that BMW paint is better quality than Honda paint? To my eyes, 10-year old BMW paint, e.g. jet black(after clay and minor correction), can outshine 10-year old HOnda paint of similar color. Is that an illusion?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 PM

its absolutely better quality paint but its more than that. The biggest factor is HOW BMW's are painted. the panels are negatively charged, the paint positively charged in a sealed painting line. Im pretty sure only BMW paints their cars this way but I could be wrong. Another big factor is owners... for the most part BMW owners care more about their cars appearance than a Honda owner.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:09 AM
This Space 4 Rent

Mein Auto: 17 F33 B58 xDrive
Quote:
its absolutely better quality paint but its more than that. The biggest factor is HOW BMW's are painted. the panels are negatively charged, the paint positively charged in a sealed painting line. Im pretty sure only BMW paints their cars this way but I could be wrong. Another big factor is owners... for the most part BMW owners care more about their cars appearance than a Honda owner.
I don't know of a single mass produced car that isn't painted that way (electrostatically). It is not the reason one paint shop is better than another.

I know it's fun to say things like "A Chevy only costs $17 less to build than a Cadillac" but most are gross exaggerations. If a person can't look at a Honda and a BMW and see the significant differences, they should probably be a Honda owner. Should it cost double? No. Should a BMW buyer expect better interior materials? Yes.

I have been a supplier to the auto industry for over 30 years. Most of the things people "know" about the cost of building a car are way off base.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:36 AM

I rode with a co-worker to lunch the other day in his new civic. While the interior is inherently a different design it was very well put together and had about as much hard plastics as the F30 does. Also while my X5 was in the body shop recently they loaned me a new Camaro. Apart from the terrible design IMO (mostly visibility issues) I was SHOCKED at the build quality and especially the steering feedback (electric also) was hands down better than BMW's as of 2013. I 100% understand reviews claiming how tossable and nimble a Camaro/Caddy ATS is. I'm not interested in buying either vehicle but I was impressed.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:09 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
The only hard plastic pieces in an F30 are the center console and the door sill trims. Everything else is soft plastic.

More than half of the new Civic dash, doors and all the rest of the interior is hard plastic.

Come on, man.

Quote:
I rode with a co-worker to lunch the other day in his new civic. While the interior is inherently a different design it was very well put together and had about as much hard plastics as the F30 does.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Big news flash - outside of it being "More Than" the price of a car has little to do with the cost. Premium cars have a bigger ROI to the manufacturer then non-premium cars.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPK/MPE 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
470 WHP of BURBBLES
HOME FROM PAINT
Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Is there any objective study to show that BMW paint is better quality than Honda paint? To my eyes, 10-year old BMW paint, e.g. jet black(after clay and minor correction), can outshine 10-year old HOnda paint of similar color. Is that an illusion?
You can conduct your own study using BMW and Honda automobile specimens (with appropriate control for surface preparation and correction, of course ) and this nifty instrument:

This is the wave-scan dual DOI (Distinctness of Image) meter from BYK-Gardner GmbH. It scans the optical profile of high and medium gloss painted surfaces using laser, LED, and IR-SLED light sources. It's perhaps the most advanced instrument of its kind - and priced accordingly: over $37,000.

A less advanced (and less expensive) but still very robust measurement tool for DOI, RIQ, etc. is the Rhopoint IQ Goniophotometer:

My old supervisor at the car wash & detail shop where I used to work recently bought a Rhopoint IQ and says it's been very beneficial for his business.

Having worked as a car wash attendant, my subjective impression is that BMW automobiles are generally no better than Honda or other mainstream brands in terms of paint quality. The main exceptions are certain "BMW Individual" colors.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteZak View Post
I have been a supplier to the auto industry for over 30 years. Most of the things people "know" about the cost of building a car are way off base.
Any tip on how off base people's perceptions are?

E.g. does BMW pay extra $1000 to install Xenon/LED lights? The replacement part costs seem to say yes, but BMW/automakers have pricing power to get those parts a lot lower than replacement part costs, right?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
You can conduct your own study using BMW and Honda automobile specimens (with appropriate control for surface preparation and correction, of course ) and this nifty instrument:

This is the wave-scan dual DOI (Distinctness of Image) meter from BYK-Gardner GmbH. It scans the optical profile of high and medium gloss painted surfaces using laser, LED, and IR-SLED light sources. It's perhaps the most advanced instrument of its kind - and priced accordingly: over $37,000.

A less advanced (and less expensive) but still very robust measurement tool for DOI, RIQ, etc. is the Rhopoint IQ Goniophotometer:

My old supervisor at the car wash & detail shop where I used to work recently bought a Rhopoint IQ and says it's been very beneficial for his business.

Having worked as a car wash attendant, my subjective impression is that BMW automobiles are generally no better than Honda or other mainstream brands in terms of paint quality. The main exceptions are certain "BMW Individual" colors.
Wow those are fancy tools, maybe a detail shop can let me use theirs for a quick scan or two.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
A factory-ordered car will also be devoid of "lot rash," especially if you require that it is delivered without being washed by the dealer's wash monkeys... different from trunk monkeys... but not by much.

Kafka buys last year's left-overs that BMW and the dealers really want to get rid of. They're taking a bath on Kafka's cars.
Haha, thats funny. I am a long time auto detailer and my black sapphire metallic paint is clean as a whistle with no marring, holograms, swirls or anything, regardless of being a lot lizard.

I cross shopped and got quotes on 2017 330i special orders when I was shopping and those deals didnt touch the deal I got. The next time someone on here is able to special order a $49000 3 series for a $360 p/mo lease with nothing down, let me know. Money factor difference alone was 5% vs the factory order.

The reality is that the second you take delivery of your supposedly pristine special order bmw, it has been on several transport vehicles and a ship for chrissakes being handled by a bunch of dock monkeys making $15 p/hr. The second you drive it off the lot it isnt worth a DIME more than a lot car and it does not have a magical force field surrounding it to protect it from flying debris, salt, dirt, mud and gravel. Despite the story you tell yourself, it is just a car no different from the countless other 3 series on the road

I see no point in paying more money for a special order unless you are doing Euro delivery. That to me is worth it.

Now guys that want to tell themselves a special story to justify the price premium can go right ahead. Fact is, dealers want to move the cars they have in inventory a lot more than they want to order you a car. Advantage to buying 'new' previous yea/current year model like I did is you can take advantage of incentives and money factors not always available with brand new ones

I understand not wanting to pay for options you dont want but there is usually quite a variety on lots esp if youre me and there are literally 10 dealers within a 30-40 min drive

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 04-18-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i XDrive Coupe
I ordered a 2015 435 xDrive coupe and paid invoice for it minus $1,000 that was attributable to the BMW Charity Drive event which allowed a $1,000 credit on cars purchased within a month of the event. Luckily, the timing worked out on my order. The dealer even called me to alert me to the event so I could take advantage of that offer. On the other hand, my local dealer thought he was being generous offering $900 off list. All depends on the philosophy of the dealer, Good luck!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search