Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
I see no point in paying more money for a special order unless you are doing Euro delivery.
In the case of European Delivery, BMW of NA offers a discount on the vehicle purchase price compared to a standard U.S. delivery or Performance Center Delivery, assuming the car doesn't come out of the dealer's allocation.

Thus, a BMW ordered using ED should cost less. Some incentives are not applicable to ED cars, though, abating the ED price advantage in certain circumstances.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:55 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
In the case of European Delivery, BMW of NA offers a discount on the vehicle purchase price compared to a standard U.S. delivery or Performance Center Delivery, assuming the car doesn't come out of the dealer's allocation.

Thus, a BMW ordered using ED should cost less. Some incentives are not applicable to ED cars, though, abating the ED price advantage in certain circumstances.
My 2018 440 MPPK/MPE is 4 figures under invoice PCD delivery from an out of state dealer.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPK/MPE 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
470 WHP of BURBBLES
HOME FROM PAINT
Old 04-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post

The US-delivery only incentives like USAA, corporate fleet, drive event(etc, etc) are not available for ED, e.g. $2500 cash bonus for corporate fleet easily makes up the 5% ED discount on a $50k car.

Also dealers routinely sell at invoice(or lower) before incentives, while won't go below $500-$1000 above ED invoice, so there is not much cost-saving benefits of ED, unless Euro vacation is already planned and airfares+accommodation are accounted for(and ED can be a great way to save on expensive euro rentals).

So ED nowadays is for the experience rather than cost savings.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '16 GLE350
Quote:
Haha, thats funny. I am a long time auto detailer and my black sapphire metallic paint is clean as a whistle with no marring, holograms, swirls or anything, regardless of being a lot lizard.

I cross shopped and got quotes on 2017 330i special orders when I was shopping and those deals didnt touch the deal I got. The next time someone on here is able to special order a $49000 3 series for a $360 p/mo lease with nothing down, let me know. Money factor difference alone was 5% vs the factory order.

The reality is that the second you take delivery of your supposedly pristine special order bmw, it has been on several transport vehicles and a ship for chrissakes being handled by a bunch of dock monkeys making $15 p/hr. The second you drive it off the lot it isnt worth a DIME more than a lot car and it does not have a magical force field surrounding it to protect it from flying debris, salt, dirt, mud and gravel. Despite the story you tell yourself, it is just a car no different from the countless other 3 series on the road

I see no point in paying more money for a special order unless you are doing Euro delivery. That to me is worth it.

Now guys that want to tell themselves a special story to justify the price premium can go right ahead. Fact is, dealers want to move the cars they have in inventory a lot more than they want to order you a car. Advantage to buying 'new' previous yea/current year model like I did is you can take advantage of incentives and money factors not always available with brand new ones

I understand not wanting to pay for options you dont want but there is usually quite a variety on lots esp if youre me and there are literally 10 dealers within a 30-40 min drive
What are we referring to as a premium? An additional amount to order a car or the total cost of the car? No, I would not pay an extra fee "just to order".

However, if we're talking about a $49k 330 that I can order to my specs (rwd, 6mt, cold weather pkg, etc) for $42k vs a lot car that they can't get rid of (xdrive, 8at, only heated front seats) being offered for $38k, then yes, I would pay the higher amount to get what I want. Doesn't matter if the payment is only $200/mo, if it's not a car that you want, what's the point?

I too have 3 dealers within a 30 min drive, 6 others within an hour drive. Not 1 had a rwd car. The deal and car that Kafka was able to snatch up I would say is not always the norm.
'06 Land Rover LR3 HSE

Gone: '14 320i 6MT ZSP ZPP ZLP ZCW PCD 5/14, '12 MB ML350 diesel, '11 Accord 5mt, '10 Acura MDX, '08 Accord 5mt, '06 Nissan Xterra 6mt, '98 BMW 528i, '95 Mazda Millenia
Old 04-19-2017, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Haha, thats funny. I am a long time auto detailer and my black sapphire metallic paint is clean as a whistle with no marring, holograms, swirls or anything, regardless of being a lot lizard.

I cross shopped and got quotes on 2017 330i special orders when I was shopping and those deals didnt touch the deal I got. The next time someone on here is able to special order a $49000 3 series for a $360 p/mo lease with nothing down, let me know. Money factor difference alone was 5% vs the factory order.

The reality is that the second you take delivery of your supposedly pristine special order bmw, it has been on several transport vehicles and a ship for chrissakes being handled by a bunch of dock monkeys making $15 p/hr. The second you drive it off the lot it isnt worth a DIME more than a lot car and it does not have a magical force field surrounding it to protect it from flying debris, salt, dirt, mud and gravel. Despite the story you tell yourself, it is just a car no different from the countless other 3 series on the road

I see no point in paying more money for a special order unless you are doing Euro delivery. That to me is worth it.

Now guys that want to tell themselves a special story to justify the price premium can go right ahead. Fact is, dealers want to move the cars they have in inventory a lot more than they want to order you a car. Advantage to buying 'new' previous yea/current year model like I did is you can take advantage of incentives and money factors not always available with brand new ones

I understand not wanting to pay for options you dont want but there is usually quite a variety on lots esp if youre me and there are literally 10 dealers within a 30-40 min drive
Those dock monkeys never wash the car... with a nylon brush or dirty sponges or mitts. BMW's are wrapped in plastic at the factory to prevent damage. The horizontal surfaces have plastic wrap to prevent acid rain damage. Every place where a dock monkey physically contacts the inside or outside and of the car is also wrapped in plastic, e.g. the divot behind the driver's door handle, the black door trim covering the B pillar, the rocker panel below the driver's door, the kick plate on the door jamb, the seats, carpet, steering wheel, nav' screen, etc., etc., etc.

Just about every lot car at my dealer has paint damage. The scratching from improper washing in particularly visible on the black plastic trim on the doors that cover the B pillars. Base cars have a non-reflective black decal on this part of the door. But, the cars with higher level trim have shiny (painted) black plastic.

I watched my dealer's new car inventory get it's periodic washing once. They hire a contractor with a truck containing a water tank and a pressure washer. They drive down the rows of cars, rinsing them off. The water truck is followed by a troop of towel boys, drying off the cars. The cars and those towels are not really clean after the rinse. So, the dirty towels just grind the grit into the clear coat and then transfer the grit to the next car. Great!

The people who do new car prep and wash cars after service aren't exactly Rhodes Scholars. Years ago, I saw one of them going at a 7 Series with a nylon brush on a stick.

I've talked to the GM of my dealer about this. He was candid, saying that it would be very expensive to properly wash the cars to prevent the damage. He said that their customers fall into two distinct categories: those who don't care, and those who will never trust them to wash their car. So, the cost of fixing how they wash cars wouldn't really accomplish anything at this point. He did say that he is experimenting with hiring college students as part-time car washers, presumably because they're smarter than somebody who washes cars for a living their whole working life.

There's a difference between normal wear and tear from driving a car and paint damage from improper washing. Before I bought my first 535i, I told my service writer that I wanted a larger BMW the next time. She said they were getting a used 7 Series coming in on trade soon that was only two years old, and it was coming in that day for service I normally don't bother with used cars, but getting a 7 Series for about $0.60 on the dollar was intriguing. I looked at it when it was there for service and the paint was absolutely trashed by improper washing. So, that was the end of that.

Yeah, you get great lease deals on your left over, scratched up, oddly optioned lot bunnies. I've never said otherwise. But, you've also described you last purchase as a "hunt," presumably because of the large amount of time and degree of effort you put into it. Getting that great price was likely a tooth and nail fight, too.

You're in California where there is a BMW dealership on every corner. Where I live, in the boonies of NW Florida, dealers for European cars are generally 50 to 150 miles apart. So, there is less price competition here.

I've dealt with "my" BMW dealer exclusively for 15 years. Both of us value that relationship. They treat me differently than they would some jackass who only bought one car from them, fought tooth and nail on price, and never brought it back there for service.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-19-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Those dock monkeys never wash the car... with a nylon brush or dirty sponges or mitts. BMW's are wrapped in plastic at the factory to prevent damage. The horizontal surfaces have plastic wrap to prevent acid rain damage. Every place where a dock monkey physically contacts the inside or outside and of the car is also wrapped in plastic, e.g. the divot behind the driver's door handle, the black door trim covering the B pillar, the rocker panel below the driver's door, the kick plate on the door jamb, the seats, carpet, steering wheel, nav' screen, etc., etc., etc.

Just about every lot car at my dealer has paint damage. The scratching from improper washing in particularly visible on the black plastic trim on the doors that cover the B pillars. Base cars have a non-reflective black decal on this part of the door. But, the cars with higher level trim have shiny (painted) black plastic.

I watched my dealer's new car inventory get it's periodic washing once. They hire a contractor with a truck containing a water tank and a pressure washer. They drive down the rows of cars, rinsing them off. The water truck is followed by a troop of towel boys, drying off the cars. The cars and those towels are not really clean after the rinse. So, the dirty towels just grind the grit into the clear coat and then transfer the grit to the next car. Great!

The people who do new car prep and wash cars after service aren't exactly Rhodes Scholars. Years ago, I saw one of them going at a 7 Series with a nylon brush on a stick.

I've talked to the GM of my dealer about this. He was candid, saying that it would be very expensive to properly wash the cars to prevent the damage. He said that their customers fall into two distinct categories: those who don't care, and those who will never trust them to wash their car. So, the cost of fixing how they wash cars wouldn't really accomplish anything at this point. He did say that he is experimenting with hiring college students as part-time car washers, presumably because they're smarter than somebody who washes cars for a living their whole working life.

There's a difference between normal wear and tear from driving a car and paint damage from improper washing. Before I bought my first 535i, I told my service writer that I wanted a larger BMW the next time. She said they were getting a used 7 Series coming in on trade soon that was only two years old, and it was coming in that day for service I normally don't bother with used cars, but getting a 7 Series for about $0.60 on the dollar was intriguing. I looked at it when it was there for service and the paint was absolutely trashed by improper washing. So, that was the end of that.

Yeah, you get great lease deals on your left over, scratched up, oddly optioned lot bunnies. I've never said otherwise. But, you've also described you last purchase as a "hunt," presumably because of the large amount of time and degree of effort you put into it. Getting that great price was likely a tooth and nail fight, too.

You're in California where there is a BMW dealership on every corner. Where I live, in the boonies of NW Florida, dealers for European cars are generally 50 to 150 miles apart. So, there is less price competition here.

I've dealt with "my" BMW dealer exclusively for 15 years. Both of us value that relationship. They treat me differently than they would some jackass who only bought one car from them, fought tooth and nail on price, and never brought it back there for service.
If you had read my original 328 thread you would know that it was the opposite of a tooth and nail fight. Took about a day to negotiate the price over like 5 emails and the experience at Crevier was exemplary.

Re: paint damage, again, car looks clean as hell to my eyes. I get compliments on the car all the time. And if a 328i with m sport, premium, nav, driver assist and heated seats is oddly optioned then, haha, whatever you say.

Putzer youre living in a fantasy world. Your little special order cars are just plain jane BMW like every other one on the road and they arent unique. They depreciate and plummet in value just as much as any other BMW. You wanna special order your cars, fine. But dont talk **** on my car to justify your purchase. No one treats you any better than anyone else, haha. Yeah Im sure they rooolllll the red carpet out when you stroll in every what, ten years to buy another one... are you high?! You know how many sales guys cycle through that place in the time it takes you to get another car?! Hahahaha. "Now when Putzer comes in here in 9 years to order a car make a note to have whoever is here treat him nice!"

BMW values and caters predominantly to their bread and butter - repeat 3 year lease customers. Thats just a fact my man. But none of what I just said fits into the story you tell yourself... man people are funny

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 04-19-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
To me buying a car is about getting what you want for a price you can comfortably support & are willing to spend. Yeah cars drop in value as soon as you sign the papers, but I would rather get what I want rather than take what's available that they could not sell. Before I would do that I would drop down a brand level or two so I could choose the content.

A car is a luxury, a depreciating asset for anything more than basic transportation. You don't really "need" much more than a Civic or inexpensive van. Anything other that is unnecessary. Sort of like buying cheap wine rather than good beer.

Its also foolish to think buyers of ordered cars are spending anymore time getting a good deal. I worked with 4 dealers had the cut to two after one email from each. A second email to the two finalists set the final price & terms. Car will be delivered without me having ever met the seller in person who is on the west coast.

Next time I see a dealer hopefully will be a local when I get my 10K oil change.

FWIW. I go to he local dealer on a Sunday to walk the lot & check paint colors, trims, wheel styles etc.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPK/MPE 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
470 WHP of BURBBLES
HOME FROM PAINT

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 04-19-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Seems like the premise is the assumption that you only get the car you want if you special order. Not sure where people are getting this. The only option this car doesnt have that I wish it had is HK audio but that isnt worth factory ordering over. I could just get Bav sound upgrade and call it a day if I cared that much. No interest in HUD or all the extended driver aids and nannies so I am not sure I buy that argument.

Although I have never been the one to wait in line at the apple store the morning the new phone comes out, so I guess I just don't really care about it being the 'new thing' because before you know it, that new thing is old and approaching obsolete.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Invoice minus incentives minus $1000? Invoice minus incentives minus $500? On a custom build, what would be an acceptable price for Bimmerfest folks? What premium, if any, should I expect to pay when ordering a car vs. getting one off the lot?
My first bmw customs order was E39 530i 5MT(MT non-existent on lot) at beginning of model year, for $1500 off MSRP(that matched Jon's price) at a local dealer. The car arrived and the local dealer wanted $3000 markup over MSRP. A polite talk with the GM restored the original deal, keeping $4500 in my pockets! That was a coup as west coast dealers at that time sold out every single E39 rolling off the trucks.

The 2nd bmw customs order was current F30 328i(Xenon non-existent on lot) also at beginning of model year. The deal started with $500 above invoice before incentives, and was delivered at $500 below invoice and before incentives, for about $2000 below invoice. That was at a time that BMWAG started dumping euro allocations to US dealers.

Both cars were delivered with 5 miles on them, and prepped by dealers. The paints were not swirl free, but the 5 miles did have some value to me. Both cases the market prices at time of delivery prevailed, but the agreed upon prices also helped to set the framework.

What seemed also to help me was checks in hand with the dealer's names on them, and the GMs understood that a backed out customs order immediately became a unit on the lot and started to incur expenses. So even CAs/SMs usually say cash buy do not matter, the GSMs/GMs wisely think otherwise.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Seems like the premise is the assumption that you only get the car you want if you special order. Not sure where people are getting this. The only option this car doesnt have that I wish it had is HK audio but that isnt worth factory ordering over. I could just get Bav sound upgrade and call it a day if I cared that much. No interest in HUD or all the extended driver aids and nannies so I am not sure I buy that argument.

Although I have never been the one to wait in line at the apple store the morning the new phone comes out, so I guess I just don't really care about it being the 'new thing' because before you know it, that new thing is old and approaching obsolete.
What was your discount to MSRP again?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
What was your discount to MSRP again?
Kafka's deal is historic, at $8k off(?), or 20% off MSRP!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Seems like the premise is the assumption that you only get the car you want if you special order. Not sure where people are getting this...
So, my first factory order was an MT E46 sedan, Steel Blue, Tan (beige) interior, Premium, Sport, AWD ('xi), HK, cold weather, and NO SUNROOF.

My 2nd was a 335d, Bluewater, Beige, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Heated Steering wheel.

I would have ordered the 335d without a sunroof if I could have. But it really doesn't matter, as 1) Beige Interior is rare, 2) any color other than black or white is fairly rare, 3) Sport is actually rare (20% or so IIRC), Cold Weather (full package) is rare (usually only front seats).

No sunroof is killer rare. I'm guessing that my E46 was one of only a couple hundred per year sold w/o one, and in combination with 'xi, colors, etc., is probably the only one sold in 2001.

335d - again, colors and options, especially heated steering wheel, make it very rare.

Remember, it's not what *YOU* want in a car, it's what *I* want. And what I want is not to be found on a dealer lot. Even what my wife wanted (much simpler) wasn't available - had to opt for premium package and comfort access, when all she wanted was leather rather than vinyl. And we had to settle for Black interior. (Granted, the comfort access is killer now that she has it.)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
My first bmw customs order was E39 530i 5MT(MT non-existent on lot) at beginning of model year, for $1500 off MSRP(that matched Jon's price) at a local dealer. The car arrived and the local dealer wanted $3000 markup over MSRP. A polite talk with the GM restored the original deal, keeping $4500 in my pockets! That was a coup as west coast dealers at that time sold out every single E39 rolling off the trucks.

The 2nd bmw customs order was current F30 328i(Xenon non-existent on lot) also at beginning of model year. The deal started with $500 above invoice before incentives, and was delivered at $500 below invoice and before incentives, for about $2000 below invoice. That was at a time that BMWAG started dumping euro allocations to US dealers.

Both cars were delivered with 5 miles on them, and prepped by dealers. The paints were not swirl free, but the 5 miles did have some value to me. Both cases the market prices at time of delivery prevailed, but the agreed upon prices also helped to set the framework.

What seemed also to help me was checks in hand with the dealer's names on them, and the GMs understood that a backed out customs order immediately became a unit on the lot and started to incur expenses. So even CAs/SMs usually say cash buy do not matter, the GSMs/GMs wisely think otherwise.
Great info. Just what I'm looking for.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Kafka's deal is historic, at $8k off(?), or 20% off MSRP!
Yeah I would need to pull the contract but I think it was $48,850 MSRP and a selling price of $41,500 at 68% residual

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5
Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
So, my first factory order was an MT E46 sedan, Steel Blue, Tan (beige) interior, Premium, Sport, AWD ('xi), HK, cold weather, and NO SUNROOF.

My 2nd was a 335d, Bluewater, Beige, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Heated Steering wheel.

I would have ordered the 335d without a sunroof if I could have. But it really doesn't matter, as 1) Beige Interior is rare, 2) any color other than black or white is fairly rare, 3) Sport is actually rare (20% or so IIRC), Cold Weather (full package) is rare (usually only front seats).

No sunroof is killer rare. I'm guessing that my E46 was one of only a couple hundred per year sold w/o one, and in combination with 'xi, colors, etc., is probably the only one sold in 2001.

335d - again, colors and options, especially heated steering wheel, make it very rare.

Remember, it's not what *YOU* want in a car, it's what *I* want. And what I want is not to be found on a dealer lot. Even what my wife wanted (much simpler) wasn't available - had to opt for premium package and comfort access, when all she wanted was leather rather than vinyl. And we had to settle for Black interior. (Granted, the comfort access is killer now that she has it.)
I wouldn't go for a 3 series without a sunroof if it was $100 a month. Love that sunroof but yeah, sounds like you got what you want and in a case where you do not want a very popular option, it makes sense to special order. And yes, if you want red or blue or whatever but for my personal tastes, it is easy for me to find the car I want on a lot and if saves me money I am all about it. If I can save $4-5000 over the course of the lease and instead throw that money in my Roth or my kid's 529 or put it towards a trip or whatever, and still drive the car I want, I win.

Now my 320 I got on a lot and that one I had buyer's remorse over. It was a unique situation and I kind of 'had' to get in a car and the clock was ticking but I ended up majorly regretting some missing options. Most 320i come with Halogens and are stripped out and I really wanted lighting, heated seats and premium pkg. At least lighting anyway. So in that case, it sucked getting the car off a lot even though my deal was decent. In the case of my 328, I am happier with it overall than any car I have ever had.

I would really like to do Euro delivery at some point and get back to Germany. Haven't been since 2011 and since I was on tour, didn't really have time to see a lot of sights. In that case it is 100% worth it to me to special order the car, the key being that you get to pick it up at and drive it at the source. Thats huge. The fact that the car is also discounted is a huge bonus; win win. But save having to have some weird color or bizarre option combination, I see no point in special ordering.

All the talk of paint thickness or whatever, haha. That's just amusing. This isn't the dad's red ferrari from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. We are talking about 3 series here... Souther California's middle class Camry.

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 04-19-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
If you had read my original 328 thread you would know that it was the opposite of a tooth and nail fight. Took about a day to negotiate the price over like 5 emails and the experience at Crevier was exemplary.

Re: paint damage, again, car looks clean as hell to my eyes. I get compliments on the car all the time. And if a 328i with m sport, premium, nav, driver assist and heated seats is oddly optioned then, haha, whatever you say.

Putzer youre living in a fantasy world. Your little special order cars are just plain jane BMW like every other one on the road and they arent unique. They depreciate and plummet in value just as much as any other BMW. You wanna special order your cars, fine. But dont talk **** on my car to justify your purchase. No one treats you any better than anyone else, haha. Yeah Im sure they rooolllll the red carpet out when you stroll in every what, ten years to buy another one... are you high?! You know how many sales guys cycle through that place in the time it takes you to get another car?! Hahahaha. "Now when Putzer comes in here in 9 years to order a car make a note to have whoever is here treat him nice!"

BMW values and caters predominantly to their bread and butter - repeat 3 year lease customers. Thats just a fact my man. But none of what I just said fits into the story you tell yourself... man people are funny
I read a few paragraphs of your "hunt" thread and got bored.

My last two cars were about $500 over invoice, with the deals made in five minutes, not a day.

Most people are oblivious to the damage caused by improper washing. I am not.

For my current car I wanted a Luxury Line, Dynamic Handling Package, Merino leather, an Individual wood, plain old Alpinweiss III (300) paint, and... wait for it... a manual transmission, the proverbial unicorn. I guess you could also call it "very oddly optioned."

I had a horrible problem with my 2nd BMW. Somebody at BMW ****ed up real bad. Because I was such a valued customer, the dealer went to bat for me with BMW. The problem was solved on the first pass with no bickering. Even I was amazed what they did to solve the problem. That episode is a big part of why Frau Putzer's getting a 2018 X3 instead of the default Honda or Hyundai. It's also why I'm buying my next GM beater from their Chevrolet dealership instead of one of the three Chevrolet dealerships I pass on my way to theirs. I got the BMW service manager (formerly my service writer for eight years) to refer me to a Chevrolet salesman. I also sent the BMW dealership two referrals. One bought a BMW from them. That's how the game works.

Actually, when I buy a new BMW, the dealer's income stream from me goes down for about four years. They've made more money off me from their parts, service, and collision repair (thanks to Frau Putzer) over the years than they have selling me new cars.

"My" dealer is competent enough to not wash my new cars when they come in. When the last one came in, the salesman called me... "Auto, your car's coming off the truck as we speak. The sales manager is guarding it. The service manager is in the back looking for traffic cones and rope."

I've dealt with three salesmen at my dealership since 2001. The first one died. The second one retired. The third one was recently hired and he's sort of a fat Florida Bubba... somebody I can identify with. When he told me about buying his factory-ordered M235i and intercepting it before the wash monkeys got ahold of it I thought to myself "That's my boy!I've found my next BMW salesman."

There's no red carpet when I go over there. But, there's a loaner when my car's in for service, a preferred labor rate, 10% discount on parts, and they're careful with my cars.

A few years ago, the BMW diagnostic equipment said my ten year old M3 needed a $400 electronics module. After having a 530i loaner for a five days (including a weekend) waiting for the module to come in from Germany, the module didn't fix the problem. Manual troubleshooting found a bad $2 relay. They charged me $90 for a hour's labor (their preferred rate), and threw in the relay for free. I was going to get a 911 the next time around, but their honesty with the module thing caused me to get another BMW instead.

When my car was there over the weekend waiting for the module, the service manager put it up on a lift so that the contracted janitorial crew in the building after hours couldn't get anywhere near it.

Tomorrow, they're throwing a party for their customers... punch and cookies! Mmmmm. They sometimes raffle off a trip to M School at these parties.

The big picture here is that is somebody in business makes me happy, I'm going to make sure they're appropriately rewarded.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-19-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
I would really like to do Euro delivery at some point and get back to Germany. Haven't been since 2011 and since I was on tour, didn't really have time to see a lot of sights. In that case it is 100% worth it to me to special order the car, the key being that you get to pick it up at and drive it at the source. Thats huge. The fact that the car is also discounted is a huge bonus; win win.
Hope everything works out for a European Delivery for you in the future.

And hopefully BMW of NA won't reduce the ED discount any further when you're ready to proceed. tim330i mentioned that they recently "enhanced" European Delivery in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=974556

Note the updated European Delivery website stinks, just like the rest of bmwusa.com. The statement "The European Delivery website recently received updates enhancing the overall experience and making it easier to find information" is probably some BS from a BMW of NA marketing dweeb. I don't blame tim330i for that.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: driven and worked on most
Bmwsalesguy

Quote:
Invoice minus incentives minus $1000? Invoice minus incentives minus $500? On a custom build, what would be an acceptable price for Bimmerfest folks? What premium, if any, should I expect to pay when ordering a car vs. getting one off the lot?

I can tell you there is no different charge for ordering or taking off of inventory. To be quiet honest I did a courtesy delivery to another state on the west coast because I was able to beat his dealers deals, keep in mind this was on an ordered car as well.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '16 GLE350
Quote:

I don't think that's what's being said as a blanket statement. For what "you" want, and where you are, the dealer ordered lot cars fit the bill. BMW of xyz (pick your California dealership) has cars in stock w/ the equipment that Kafka wants. That is not the case for everyone everywhere. For my 320, to get a manual transmission, it was either special order, or take the stripped one w/ manual seats and no sunroof in a color I didn't want. For this 340, it was either order again, have a car shipped cross country that Valencia BMW had in stock, or take a car w/ awd and 8at from a local dealer. If I were on the west coast, I could probably find a lot car also.
'06 Land Rover LR3 HSE

Gone: '14 320i 6MT ZSP ZPP ZLP ZCW PCD 5/14, '12 MB ML350 diesel, '11 Accord 5mt, '10 Acura MDX, '08 Accord 5mt, '06 Nissan Xterra 6mt, '98 BMW 528i, '95 Mazda Millenia

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search