Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 428i
Run Flats to Regular Tires

I have a 428i and got the M-sport package. It came with 19" Good Year Run Flats. I have had one of the tires get a bubble in it last year after going over a pot hole and another one now. Getting sick of paying $400 for every unforgiving pot hole.

Has anyone ever replaced their run flats for regular tires? If so, which ones and what were the results?

Any advice or suggestion is appriciated. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2017, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i xdrive
I just replaced my runflat tires for the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. What a delightful and noticeable difference in terms of ride comfort (the roads are dismal in my area), and handling. Highly recommended!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 PM
---

Mein Auto: BMW 340i xDrive
I have the Michelin A/S 3+ (all season) tires.

PROS:
Better ride quality
Lower road noise
Less expensive to replace

CONS:
You need to have a backup plan in case of a puncture
The steering is slightly less responsive
Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i
I went from Goodyear LS2 "touring" (low-performance), all-season run-flats, to Michelin Pilot Super Sport high-performance, summer, non-run-flats. So, I pretty much went from the worst tires on the planet to the best tires on the planet. It transformed the car. The PSS's also wear more evenly. The LS2's had excessive wear on bot the inside edges and the outside edges, a condition typically associated with under-inflation. But, it's also an inherent problem with run-flats.

If you read the fine print about run-flats, you'll see that they're only good for getting out 50 miles without air, and going any significant distance without air pressure will destroy the tires. They're good for getting you out of immediate danger after a rapid, complete deflation (a.k.a. a "blowout"). But, if you have a simple puncture and you don't have a spare tire, you are dependent on others to get you where you are going.

My favorite Bimmerfest thread about what can happen with run-flats and no spare is the sad tale of the F25 X3 owner on a weekend road trip. Having a simple puncture and no spare cost him $1400. I keep this link on my desktop. If you make road trips in your BMW, read and heed..

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=917185
Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: V70R'07 jswTDI'11 340x'16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
My favorite Bimmerfest thread about what can happen with run-flats and no spare is the sad tale of the F25 X3 owner on a weekend road trip. Having a simple puncture and no spare cost him $1400. I keep this link on my desktop. If you make road trips in your BMW, read and heed..

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=917185
That was a heartbreaking story. Flat tire completely broke their bank.

Anyways, let it not stop OP from getting some good tires. Going from the stock RFT's to MPSS's was the best modification made.
Carry a repair set and for far away trips a spare too.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
The BMW OE, non run-flat version of Michelin Pilot Super Sport, sizes 225/45R18 front, 255/40R18 rear, are at the top of my list for replacement tires.

Tire Rack link

I already have Continental ContiComfortKit in my car.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 PM

I don't leave home without a spare. I'm also "Old School" on how I compress air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Topeak_joe_blow_II_floor_pump.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	594648  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
The BMW OE, non run-flat version of Michelin Pilot Super Sport, sizes 225/45R18 front, 255/40R18 rear, are at the top of my list for replacement tires.

Tire Rack link

I already have Continental ContiComfortKit in my car.

There's probably not much difference between the BMW OEM (star on the sidewall) PSS's (used on M cars and non-M's with the Track Handling Package) and the aftermarket PSS's, except the OEM version will be more expensive. Don't expect anybody at Michelin or BMW to give you a straight answer on the actual differences in the tires.

I paid $941 for four 245/40-19's from Tire Rack after a $70 rebate. That's about $300 less than I paid for some PSS's for my M3 back in 2013. There's actually a price war going on with high-performance tires.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-18-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argh View Post
That was a heartbreaking story. Flat tire completely broke their bank.

Anyways, let it not stop OP from getting some good tires. Going from the stock RFT's to MPSS's was the best modification made.
Carry a repair set and for far away trips a spare too.
If $1400 broke their bank, they need to trade the BMW in for a Kia. But, it's still annoying.

I just "built" a 540i on BMWUSA.com. The mini-spare tire came up as a no-cost option.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW X3 X28i
If one goes to REAL tires from RFT's. It a give me that everything ride associated will improve. BUT have you looked in the back of the X3?
There is about zero room even for a donut. And the fiber board compartment, would it be able to support the weight. The battery compartment
is close to the rear hatch now. And this thing is thin on storage to begin with . . . . very thin
1965 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 04-18-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
If one goes to REAL tires from RFT's. It a give me that everything ride associated will improve. BUT have you looked in the back of the X3?
There is about zero room even for a donut. And the fiber board compartment, would it be able to support the weight. The battery compartment
is close to the rear hatch now. And this thing is thin on storage to begin with . . . . very thin
That's precisely why there isn't a F25 X3 in the Putzer garage tonight. We're waiting for the 2018 (G01) X3, which will have a mini-spare tire and a hole under the cargo area floor to put it in.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGamerJatt View Post
I have a 428i and got the M-sport package. It came with 19" Good Year Run Flats. I have had one of the tires get a bubble in it last year after going over a pot hole and another one now. Getting sick of paying $400 for every unforgiving pot hole.

Has anyone ever replaced their run flats for regular tires? If so, which ones and what were the results?

if you don't care about having summer tires, a great all season rft is driveguard. they feel almost like regular tires.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 56K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 AM

Mein Auto: 330dA Touring SDrive
Bought my car (330d F31) in december, with stock 17" mounting Pirelli RFT.
Replace with 18" NoRFT (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2).
Less expensive
More tires choice on the market
Same comfort (17" vs 18").
Bought a Slime minicompressor for emergency (35€)
Happy for all that

Just my cent.
(sorry for my english)
Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:

Clearly, you are new to SEARCH.

When you discover where that is on your Bimmerfest page, you'll quickly discover favorite brands, models, and vendors. Tally Ho.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
There's probably not much difference between the BMW OEM (star on the sidewall) PSS's (used on M cars and non-M's with the Track Handling Package) and the aftermarket PSS's, except the OEM version will be more expensive. Don't expect anybody at Michelin or BMW to give you a straight answer on the actual differences in the tires.

I paid $941 for four 245/40-19's from Tire Rack after a $70 rebate. That's about $300 less than I paid for some PSS's for my M3 back in 2013. There's actually a price war going on with high-performance tires.
For the 225/45R18 (F), 255/40R18 (R) combo, Tire Rack only lists the BMW OE ("Star") version of Michelin PSS. Current price for the set of four is $871.50 before shipping, or $268.40 less than the Tire Rack price for same sized Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT - the tire model originally installed on my car.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK/335d
Quote:

Done frequently. As others have said pilot super sports are great ties. You can buy a spare tire if you don't care about the room it takes up in the trunk (my way) or get the emergency kit from Conti. Tire rack sells both and are great to work with. N4S
Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
For the 225/45R18 (F), 255/40R18 (R) combo, Tire Rack only lists the BMW OE ("Star") version of Michelin PSS. Current price for the set of four is $871.50 before shipping, or $268.40 less than the Tire Rack price for same sized Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT - the tire model originally installed on my car.
Cool. Those OEM-spec tires are usually more. Maybe there's a glut of them.

I owned a 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R. That was a fantastic car. It made Car and Driver's 10 Best list every year it was made, and was always the cheapest car on the list. They're still classified as a CPI (car of particular interest) in the NADA price guides.

But, Nissan couldn't give those car away. They had a OEM-spec Dunlop tire, the same size and tread pattern as the tires used on Mazda Miata's. But, the Nissan-spec tire had a softer rubber compound (identified by the lower DOT tread wear mileage rating). Because the cars weren't selling well, the tires weren't selling well. I got a set of OEM tires for something like $60 each, cheaper than any comparable after-market model tire.

Michelin has also started making many of the PSS's in the U.S. Historically, they only made their best tires in France. I've been happy with the twelve Continental tires I've had. But, Michelin making PSS's in the U.S., and a $70 rebate made me get them instead of the Conti's.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 435i w/All M Options
Two months with 435i and already dumped the new Bridgestone S001 RFT (only 1500 miles since install) for Mich PS4S. The softer sidewall does absorb the smaller bumps better with the 704 M suspension, and of course overall tire grip is muuuch better. Turn-in with PS4S is also sharper. Also of note is that RFT tires are heavy, so lost ~4 lbs per corner of unsprung weight going to PS4S. JMHO

Steven

2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan COI, DC Intercooler, Big Turbo, Stage 4, ER CP / TIC & GFB DV+.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 04-19-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i
Quote:

Yes. On delivery day had the dealer take off the 19" run flats and put the base 18" wheels on with Michelin Sport AS tires. Mucho better. Michelin Pilot Super Sports would have been even better.

Past:
2010 GTI | Stage II
2007 Audi A4 | Stage I
2003 325i | DSG Transmission (yes, the old school one)
2001 325ci | ED | Silver | Sport | Premium
1995 318 Ti | Cosmos Black
Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 AM

Wow! Thanks for the feedback guys! Good to know I'm not the only one dealing with this problem. I checked with BMW and they don't even carry Good Year F1 Asymmetric RFT anymore. They recommended the Michelin PSS (About the same price) or the Continental tires (more expensive).

Costco sells the PSS AS3+ for about $260 out the door (service included) but also covers the tire for road hazards and such at no extra cost. I might go with this option.

I have two small bubbles on the front right tire and tears. Been driving on it without a problem so far but might have to push it for another 70 miles to make through the wait for them to order the tires.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyM View Post
Yes. On delivery day had the dealer take off the 19" run flats and put the base 18" wheels on with Michelin Sport AS tires. Mucho better. Michelin Pilot Super Sports would have been even better.

Didn't realize you could switch from 19" to 18" wheels. Also, I thought the 18" wheels were standard and 19" were an upgrade?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Novice driver

Quote:
Also, I thought the 18" wheels were standard and 19" were an upgrade?
It's an "upgrade" only in the sense that BMW of NA makes the customer pay extra for the 19" wheels.

However, the 19" wheels are heavier and the included run-flat tires are not as good as the non run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires that come with 18" Track Handling Package wheels. Furthermore, these style 398 18" wheels are the best looking OE wheels for F3x cars IMO.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Didn't realize you could switch from 19" to 18" wheels. Also, I thought the 18" wheels were standard and 19" were an upgrade?
The 19's are an upgrade, but it was part of the deal to swap out for the 18's. Yes, 18's are no problem.

Past:
2010 GTI | Stage II
2007 Audi A4 | Stage I
Old 04-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
It's an "upgrade" only in the sense that BMW of NA makes the customer pay extra for the 19" wheels.

However, the 19" wheels are heavier and the included run-flat tires are not as good as the non run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires that come with 18" Track Handling Package wheels. Furthermore, these style 398 18" wheels are the best looking OE wheels for F3x cars IMO.

This. Was really tempted to get the 398's but they wanted too much cash

Past:
2010 GTI | Stage II
2007 Audi A4 | Stage I
Old 04-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for the feedback guys! Good to know I'm not the only one dealing with this problem. I checked with BMW and they don't even carry Good Year F1 Asymmetric RFT anymore. They recommended the Michelin PSS (About the same price) or the Continental tires (more expensive).

Costco sells the PSS AS3+ for about $260 out the door (service included) but also covers the tire for road hazards and such at no extra cost. I might go with this option.

I have two small bubbles on the front right tire and tears. Been driving on it without a problem so far but might have to push it for another 70 miles to make through the wait for them to order the tires.
I have the AS3's and no complaints. But I had three sets of PSS on my GTI and think they are the best tires on the market. Nearly transformed that car.

Past:
2010 GTI | Stage II
2007 Audi A4 | Stage I

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bubble, good year, run flats, tire

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search