Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
BMW Mobility Kit - Cross-post

My F10 needs tires and I'm considering non-RFTs. I'm posting here because some of you have the Track Handling package and non-RFTs with your F3X's.

Can you share what you know about the BMW Mobility Kit vs. other kits, and how helpful these kits are in general? I only have a day or two to make a decision on tires, which is why the cross-post.

Thanks,
Robert

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2017, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: E92
BMW Mobility Kit - Cross-post

This is cheaper and does same thing.

http://www.continental-tires.com/car...ntimobilitykit

Last edited by viator092; 04-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator092 View Post
This is cheaper and does same thing.

http://www.continental-tires.com/car...ntimobilitykit
^this plus I carry a plug kit and a BMW jack set which includes a jack, tire chock, breaker bar, torque wrench and other goodies https://www.bmwdiscountparts.com/oem...et-71102182448
Barring bad weather, I can get myself fixed up and back on the road.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-21-2017, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
So for those who have used the Conti kit, does the TPS need to be replaced when you have the tire repaired or replaced?
Seeing as it's latex based maybe it can be cleaned up and reused?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our BMW View Post
So for those who have used the Conti kit, does the TPS need to be replaced when you have the tire repaired or replaced?
Seeing as it's latex based maybe it can be cleaned up and reused?
I would get to the shop ASAP, and get the damaged tire off the rim before the stuff hardens, otherwise it's impossible to get off.

Personally I would dismount the tire and use a plug kit to seal the puncture.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, 328ix, hard bargain
The TPMS should not need to be replaced, just cleaned off. The issue isn't with sealant encrusting the TPMS, but the sealant blocking the the pressure sensor port, since that would lead to inaccurate air pressure reading. However, since these solutions are not intended to be a permanent fix, it doesn't matter. The previous generations of aerosol sealants like older fix-a-flat had corrosive properties which could damage both sensor and rims; however, the latest generations of water based sealants (which fix-a-flat now is) are not corrosive. Since the sensors are radio frequency based, it really doesn't matter if a crust of latex covers the sensor. My goodness, how do people think the sensors work through thick tire rubber? The stuff is not impossible to get off. Since they are temporary, you will want to get the tire repaired or replaced anyway. If repaired, the tire should be removed anyway in order to do the patch w/plug repair from the inside of the tire, which is the recommended method over just the plug.

Just understand, though, that the sealants have a shelf life. Terra-S makes BMW mobility kit, Slime, and Fix-a-flat, and has a shelf life of 4 years (Terra-S also makes for VW, SEAT, Audi). ContiMobilityKit lists up to 5 years shelf life. You aren't guaranteed that the sealant canister or the pump+sealant canister is going to be new. When I wen to buy spare BMW sealant, the dealership had 2 year old stuff. I re-ordered and got new stock.

At the time, I bought BMW mobility kit because it was cheaper than the Continental one. Ford, Volvo, GM, etc use Continental sealant and mobility kit, and you can get for cheaper than the contimobilitykit. Then again, the Slime kit, which uses the same sealant as BMW kit, also is cheaper.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search