BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Today on my Bimmer I...

Tags
:3
819K views 11K replies 438 participants last post by  tomwas 
#1 ·
ive seen this type of thread on my toyota forum and it ends up being good.:thumbup:

anyways i'll start i guess, today i cleaned the wii out of my car and attempted to put my grilles in:)

#10,239 ·
Replaced both lift struts for my top storage lid today, not the most fun job there is unless you have tiny hands. Anyway, I got them in there and it made a big difference, the old ones were really weak after 15 years. It was all "prep- work" for my new top which goes on next.

#10,240 ·
Did you remove the storage compartment lid or struggle through it with the lid on? From personal experience, the few minutes it takes to remove the storage compartment lid to do the lift strut replacement is well worth it.

#10,241 ·
dc,

I did it the hard way with the lid in place. I did read it here (probably was your post) that taking the lid of is easier, I just didn't feel like messing with the lid alignment. On the plus side, I have all the ****ty work done (struts, fixing the auto top) now. All that is left is installing the new top and that doesn't look to difficult.

While on that subject, did you ever replace the tension straps? I am trying to figure out if they are installed preloaded (stretched) or is there really only one way to install them using some pre punched holes (which would properly locate the straps) for the rivets/screws.

#10,245 ·
It's been a while and I don't remember if there were pre-punched holes or not in the tension straps. Regardless, about a year after the top installation you'll likely need to adjust the tension and make your own holes anyway when you shorten and re-rivet the straps.

#10,246 ·
Got my new cooling system parts installed last night. Waiting to meet a friend this evening (I'm buying an electric fan from him to use in place of my stock clutch fan) and then I can wrap it up and add/bleed coolant.

Need to do an oil change and rotate tires and then she's ready for Hyperfest!

#10,251 ·
That's the "joy" of ownership when you drive an old clunker with outdated technology........just asking for punishment. On the bright side my wife tells everybody "I always know where he is....in the garage", so it keeps me out of trouble.

#10,252 ·
:rofl: Had I bought my E36 while I was still married, I might still be married. Fortunately it was my Happy Divorce gift to myself :)

#10,253 ·
You know, both, the wife and my e36 are demanding and high in maintenance! With that said I am lucky that my wife isn't on the forum and reads this or I would have to move to the doghouse.

#10,256 ·
I pulled out the torn headliner and put in a new one. i will still need to go back and fix the sun roof card but for now no more flapping material.:thumbup: In continuing my low budget work up I plasti-dipped my wheels and honestly I pretty happy with how they turned out.

Attachments

#10,260 ·
Got the 5 sp swap completed.

anyone know how to get my cruise control to work now? haha
Get read to rip stuff out again if you didn't do the wiring while you were working on the re-wiring of the clutch safety switch, reverse light, and steering lock.

Oh and get ready for brake light circuit failure when you get the cruise control working and it disengages when you press the clutch in.

#10,263 ·
I got an offer of having a 1996 328is for free today. And yes, it is manual. The guy is bringing it by on Saturday. He is getting rid of it because his scanner can't read the DME via the OBD 2 port. LOL! Thankfully I have a Peak reader. :p So what do you think? I have no more parking spots at my place, but to pass up a FREE BMW is like passing up a hot date with a super model who is hot and heavy for you. If the car looks like poopoo, I could gut the interior and build me a race car. VROOOM!!!

#10,264 ·
Damn, I wish a deal like that would come to me. I got all the free parking spots in the world. You would be crazy to pass on the deal. I mean it is free and you can always start parking on the lawn, or as I like to call it, soft furring parking lot.

#10,268 · (Edited)
Eh, I'm not a fan of dark colored wheels on dark colored cars. It ends up just looking like a solid brick. My preference is to have a decent amount of contrast between the body color and wheel color. So, darkly painted wheels can look good on light color bodies, but it generally doesn't look good on dark color bodies. Just my view...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.