BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sound System Improvement Stage One

309K views 432 replies 96 participants last post by  Mic10is 
#1 ·
I have been asked on numerous occasions about stereo equipment for the X3 since I have installed them in two separate X3's (07 and 08) and helped dozens of others including some dealerships.

Stereo installations can be done in stages just like performance or handling enhancements can be done in most vehicles until the desired impact is achieved. This helps to not only spread out the cost, but keep it to a minimum.

At the end of this whole series I will post some pics and "DIY" instructions.

For those that are new to the forum my recommendation come from over 35 years in the music industry as well as 20 years as a radio broadcast engineer with such big radio station names as DC 101 where Howard Stern started, and doing sound for a number of popular bands or groups.

Please bear in mind with my experience and even more --- these are only suggestions since the human ear is the most perfectly diverse piece of audio test equipment available and what sounds good to me might sound like (expletive) to you :).

This will be done in five stages:

Since there are so many different variations I will make suggestions in what I consider to be each stage of improving your X3's basic business sound system. IF you have the higher grade sound system, you are probably content and don't need my meddling.

First (Stage One): Speakers

speakers like tires can be an easy change but make a world of difference. I will not go into the full details of what specs are what, but only recommend ones I know will fit and have the proper electrical acceptability to the OEM sound system. Prices are approximate and taken from Crutchfield as it is an easy link and has good descriptions.

Alpine SPS-400 $70 all around good sound most popular http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS400/Alpine-SPS-400.html?tp=102&tab=features_and_specs

Infinity Reference Series $130 favors the brighter side of music if your hearing is dulling these will certainly let you hear the sound of Santana as well as the violins of Tchaikovsky. Will also take more power if and amp is later added. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_108429I/Infinity-Kappa-42-9i.html?tp=102

Focals 100 VRS $600 not cheap. This is really pushing it. I won't spend this kind of money, but if you have it and are serious about sound these are the best that will fit in your X3. Please be advised that they will never sound great with out additional power, like an external amp. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_091100VRS/Focal-Polyglass-100-VRS.html?tp=102

Stage Two will be HU and external components that allow you to keep your HU but add other equipment. As there are a number of new things out (that even I have my eye on) I want to do more research before I post this. Plus too much will bore you to death.

Hope this helps,

EE:thumbup: Please PM questions (for greater detail) with regard to each stage as posted

See less See more
Reactions: Adolfo_e83
#4 ·
+3 for the Sticky :thumbup:
Seen so many related quaries in just as many different threads. Can't remember any of them for referrals...
...it will keep you busy Ev :rofl:

#5 ·
Thanks all. I think I will ask for a DIY thread to be created. That way we can all share what we do best. I think SNA77's work is phenomenal and should be part of this.

#7 ·
Great speakers (little warmer in sound), but depth and circumference of speaker magnet makes them a little difficult to fit. Same with Boston Acoustic which imo are really nice sounding speakers.

#9 ·
Thanks!

I'd like to do the speaker upgrade but don't want to DIY. Could you add some advice about choosing an installer, and especially about how best to increase the likelihood that the vapor barrier isn't breached. All the horror stories about the vapor barrier have deterred me from the upgrade up till now.

#10 ·
I think the safest bet is to make sure you get an insured installer and inform them not to tear the barrier.

I worked with an installer when we did work on mine. My insurance company required it, in order to cover the equipment.

Since neither of us had run into this before we didn't give any thought to it. It really doesn't tear that easy and if it does the part is all of $17.50. We just didn't know.

Bottom line is they paid for the fix since they were insured and admitted to the damage.

Even with this issue out of the way, I would never go with a company that doesn't have a solid reputation and insurance. Same way I wouldn't go to a mechanic without that background.

#12 ·
Sorry, got side tracked between getting an A3 and now the possibility of making the changes on the X3 itself and maybe not having to sell the bugger.

I should have some time Friday night to post stage two.

Thanks for asking :)

#14 ·
just a quick (silly) question: are the speakers that are recommended, for use in the front or back? or do I change all four?

sorry:eeps: new member having purchased my X3 last week.

Did a quick online search for the sps 400 but couldnt find a seller in the UK.
ps. Look forward to Friday:)

#15 ·
just a quick (silly) question: are the speakers that are recommended, for use in the front or back? or do I change all four?

Did a quick online search for the sps 400 but couldnt find a seller in the UK.
1. If something's worth doin' ....
Yea, I'd do all 4.

2. This Calif. vendor ships to just about any country except an interesting list of the usual suspects (i.e. El Qaeda-friendly, Communist regime, presently at war with, considering war with, endorse sweat-shops and child-labor, drug-dealing governments, etc.).

Depending on the results of the upcoming General Election in England & Wales, you should still be O.K.

The actual cost for shipping might not be too practical though.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/shipping_policy_international.php

#18 ·
Always all four.

Just like tires you want to match them up unless told otherwise:).

And, just like tires there are times you will have front and back different, but that is on a case by case basis.

My recommendations are to appeal to the broader sense, but happy to help with custom type questions on PM's so not to get off track.

#20 ·
I do that as a safety precaution when working on any voltage. After disconnecting it is best to wait several minutes beforing diving in to work.
Some electrical components are designed to hold energy and can really bite hard if you don't know.

Also, rule of thumb: take off all jewelery. This is SOP when working with any voltage and should be common practice for all work. Wedding bands are typically gold and great conductors.

Don't want to scare anyone, but always smart to follow this rule with any electrical work, whether the car, house, etc....

This also avoids shorting any low voltage stuff you may not notice.

#22 ·
Haven't forgotten my promise to post stage two.

Some new H/U and amps have been recently released and I want to check them out before I post. Plus I am tired this evening.

I do plan to give stage two this weekend though. :thumbup:

#24 ·
Haven't forgotten my promise to post stage two.

Some new H/U and amps have been recently released and I want to check them out before I post. Plus I am tired this evening.

I do plan to give stage two this weekend though. :thumbup:
Is there a "how to" for removing the grills and replacing the speakers?
Do they just slip into the existing mounts?

#26 ·
I've been doing a long (really long) research into what I want to do for the sound system in my X3 as well.

There isn't a whole lot of information out there. (This forum being the source of one of few) however, I thought people here might appreciate the information contained in these two sites...
http://caraudiomag.com/articles/cdt-audio-bmw-x3
as well as
http://caraudiomag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=318#post318

Both of them have pictures of an X3 Owner's installation with some alternate configurations or options.
Total cost in parts here is apparently about $2100, so it is definitely pricier than Evlengr's suggestions, however, I imagine it will at least give people some more ideas for where to install things as well.

#27 ·
I have been asked on numerous occasions about stereo equipment for the X3 since I have installed them in two separate X3's (07 and 08) and helped dozens of others including some dealerships.
Cool. I've also done two X3. Fortunately, the audio architecture in the E9x, E82, X3, X5 E70, and E60 5-series are all pretty similar (the E60 is the weirdo of the bunch).

Stereo installations can be done in stages just like performance or handling enhancements can be done in most vehicles until the desired impact is achieved. This helps to not only spread out the cost, but keep it to a minimum.
But like tires, you can't buy what you can afford and then pay the difference later to upgrade. It's a complete replacement.

For those that are new to the forum my recommendation come from over 35 years in the music industry as well as 20 years as a radio broadcast engineer with such big radio station names as DC 101 where Howard Stern started, and doing sound for a number of popular bands or groups.
Which certainly gives you great qualifications to judge the performance of the system.

Please bear in mind with my experience and even more --- these are only suggestions since the human ear is the most perfectly diverse piece of audio test equipment available and what sounds good to me might sound like (expletive) to you :).
The thing the ear is attached too varies even more than the pinna :)

This will be done in five stages:

Since there are so many different variations I will make suggestions in what I consider to be each stage of improving your X3's basic business sound system. IF you have the higher grade sound system, you are probably content and don't need my meddling.
I question the latter statement.

Did 2010 X3 audio systems get decontented like E90 and E82 and E70?

First (Stage One): Speakers

speakers like tires can be an easy change but make a world of difference. I will not go into the full details of what specs are what, but only recommend ones I know will fit and have the proper electrical acceptability to the OEM sound system. Prices are approximate and taken from Crutchfield as it is an easy link and has good descriptions.

Alpine SPS-400 $70 all around good sound most popular http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS400/Alpine-SPS-400.html?tp=102&tab=features_and_specs

Infinity Reference Series $130 favors the brighter side of music if your hearing is dulling these will certainly let you hear the sound of Santana as well as the violins of Tchaikovsky. Will also take more power if and amp is later added. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_108429I/Infinity-Kappa-42-9i.html?tp=102

Focals 100 VRS $600 not cheap. This is really pushing it. I won't spend this kind of money, but if you have it and are serious about sound these are the best that will fit in your X3. Please be advised that they will never sound great with out additional power, like an external amp. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_091100VRS/Focal-Polyglass-100-VRS.html?tp=102
You like bright.

I categorically disagree with your description of the Focals. The best that will fit in an X3 is the Morel Hybrid Ovation comp set. Totally different sound than the Focal, bot bright or hard at all.

How do any of these "have the proper electrical acceptability"? I'm unclear on what you mean.

Why do you suggest that rear speakers match front speakers? Seriously?

BTW, the door panels come off and the speakers mount behind the grilles to the door panel.

#29 ·
Cool. I've also done two X3. Fortunately, the audio architecture in the E9x, E82, X3, X5 E70, and E60 5-series are all pretty similar (the E60 is the weirdo of the bunch).

But like tires, you can't buy what you can afford and then pay the difference later to upgrade. It's a complete replacement.

Which certainly gives you great qualifications to judge the performance of the system.

The thing the ear is attached too varies even more than the pinna :)

I question the latter statement.

Did 2010 X3 audio systems get decontented like E90 and E82 and E70?

You like bright.

I categorically disagree with your description of the Focals. The best that will fit in an X3 is the Morel Hybrid Ovation comp set. Totally different sound than the Focal, bot bright or hard at all.

How do any of these "have the proper electrical acceptability"? I'm unclear on what you mean.

Why do you suggest that rear speakers match front speakers? Seriously?

BTW, the door panels come off and the speakers mount behind the grilles to the door panel.
I'm sorry are you trying to be funny, anger me, or want my advice?

#28 ·
#30 ·
BVK, you just saved me some time, much thanks.

This is some really good work. I think I might try for this, but my suggestions are all based on the principle that you can put it all back to stock should you desire to trade in or sell the vehicle as original layout.

#32 · (Edited)
I believe by electrical acceptability, he means that both the Alpines and the Infinities can be driven by the stock factory amp if/when you sell your vehicle and rip out your amp and sub to take with you.

Also, if doing this in stages, you can also see if just dropping in either the Alpines or Infinities to see if they'll make you happy without adding more amplification (though I personally prefer to add the amplification)

Focals for example would never sound good driven with the factory amp.

Evlengr's suggestions (please keep in mind) are mostly if you want to do the upgrade little by little.

Heck, Focal speakers are like one car payment alone for the X3 =P

Evlengr:
I'm not sure, but I don't believe he's out to anger you. I will say this though, I could be wrong, however, I do believe El Duderino is the one that worked on the X3 linked in the first link that bvkamp linked. If I'm not mistaken, he's a car audio installer (former maybe?) that worked on two X3s as well. If nothing else, he has different opinions on what sounds good, however, his tastes do lean more towards the higher end quality speakers. Something I believe is outside your scope for a little by little piecemeal upgrade of the X3 sound system FAQ.

#36 ·
Stage two

Second (Stage Two) Head Units:

Again, a reminder that I am not out to do any elaborate modifications. In fact these recommendations are based in part on feedback over the past two years. Therefore, all my recommendations in this thread are based on the simple principle that they can be removed and the original equipment reinstalled. They are not meant to deliver a system that will rattle the sunroof, but let you hear Flea (RHCP) pull his fingers from the bass strings or the third violin in the last row.

Also, they are based on technical specs, my personal experience with the mfg, a certain degree of difficulty, and features from advanced to moderate.

First:

If you haven't guessed by now Alpine is a favorite due to their innovation to deal with emerging technology and features, while keeping a high level of expertise.

These next two units have the ability to integrate with multiple add ons or stand alone as a media source and enough power to make the additional speakers sound better. More power is not always better, but less power is worse. Additional power usually (not always) leads to less distortion.

Alpine IDA-X305S

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Car-Receivers.html?o=n&tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Alpine

Allows you to not only use your iPod like it was meant to be used, but add Pandora from a smart or iPhone for streaming audio in your car. It will allows lego block type integration of BT, Steering control, CD Changer, separate processing, and multiple amps for an array of speaker set ups.

Alpine CDA-117 CD

Allows the easy integration of an iPod, but plays single cd's as well.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_500CDA117/Alpine-CDA-117.html?tp=5684

Both have very easy controls to scroll through the iPod and CD as well.

Second:

Pioneer DEH-P6200BT

Great unit. offers BT integration at no additional cost as well as iPod. Only downside to this is the controls are somewhat clunky and the sounds quality from the iPod is not as good as the Alpines due to differences in D/A conversion.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_500CDA117/Alpine-CDA-117.html?tp=5684

Third:

Sony CDX-GT700HD CD

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT700HD/Sony-CDX-GT700HD.html?tp=5684&tab=other_items

Really like the features on this one. Simple yet offers a lot. Has HD built in decent controls and sound shaping. No BT though.

As far as kits I have used Metra for years and mine cost all of $20. I also understand that the older Z4 kits will center a radio if you want it that way.

http://www.metraonline.com/default.aspx

Right now we are simply determining what equipment is right for you. I have included links to Crutchfield as they do a great job describing features and benefits, and do you really want to listen to me drone on and on and on and on.

Remember... You have to decide what is right for you. Consider the basic rule of FAB!

Features, Advantages, and Benefits!

I will cover amps and processors next.

Pay attention folks because a processor may allow you to integrate better sound without changing the H/U if you want to keep the original look, control and sonic or acoustic control.

And of course amps for power, clarity, as well as sonic control.

Installation will be Stage Four. This will be both my personal work, physical installation, wiring, pics, and pilfering of others fine work.

#39 ·
Doh, Thanks for reminder.

Going to ask Kris L. to move this all to DIY when complete as well.

#40 ·
Doh, Thanks for reminder.

Going to ask Kris L. to move this all to DIY when complete as well.
This thread is already in the DIY!

#42 ·
Sound system Diagram

This is a simple layout I used on my sound system hope it helps.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.