BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Window switch plastic bezel replacement question

19K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  new2u 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My F/R door window switch plastic trim is starting to peeling, and I'm out of the original warranty now. :cry: (It expired on May, 2010.)

(Part #51413415812 from the list, or #13 from the diagram)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PA93&mospid=47794&btnr=51_5170&hg=51&fg=50

Since the CPO warranty won't cover this, my only option would be asking the dealer to replace it (which costs around $110 in Canada including labour and taxes), or DIY myself.

Has anyone replaced this part? Would I need to remove the entire door trim to get access to the window switch plastic bezel, or can I just pop it out?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't done this, but I have a hunch you can just pop it out in some way, probably held by plastic clips.

#8 ·
Sorry for the delay

The part came last week. I used the round edge of a can opener to pry the plastic switch cover out of its cutout in the armrest. You need to use some force, but it will pop out. The harder part was prying the cover plate off of the switch box itself. The cover plate is held on to the box by six small clips. I used a small flat screw driver to pry the old cover plate off. I damaged the old plate, but really didn't care. I was more concerned with not damaging the switch box, or pulling out the wire connector. The new cover just snapped on and then I pushed the whole unit back into its hole in the armrest. It took about 15 minutes, most of which was spent wrestling the cover plate off of the switch box.

#10 · (Edited)
I finally finished the replacement of the window switch bezel today.
I forgot to take shots as I was doing DIY, so I have only after shots of the DIY. :(

Anyways, just look at this as a reference only please.

PN: 51-41-3-415-812 (Black, Front Passenger window switch bezel)

Cost:
CDN $21.85 + HST = $24.47 from Brian Jessel BMW.
You can get this for around $9~$10 in USA. But if you are living in Canada, additional shipping fee won't save you lots of money.
I chose the local dealer to save shipping time.

Steps:
1. Using a slot type precision(jeweler's) screwdriver(or any thin and rigid material that can be used as a lever), I pried the plastic switch bezel out. You will need to use some force.
Please be careful not to damage your door trim as you do this. I was lucky enough to make only a very tiny hole on the door trim that's basically not visible with the switch bezel installed. Phew~.

2. Once you take out the bezel out of the door trim, disconnect the wire connection to the window switch. Or you can just proceed to the following step without removing the connection. Do what fits you the best.
It's very hard to remove the window switch unit without breaking tabs. Since the old bezel won't be usable anyways (please see the pics), I just broke all tabs that are holding the window swtich using the slot type precesion screwdriver.
Please be careful not to damage the window switch itself.

3. Re-attach the window switch to the new window switch bezel.

4. Reconnect the wire to the window switch.

5. Push the new window switch bezel back into the door trim. You would need to give a little pressure as it's very tight.

* Please do these at your own risk. :p
** Special thanks to MerckxMad. :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.