BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Yellow exterior light annunciator on dash

8K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  timfitz63 
#1 ·
So my first post is hopefully going to be helpful. Last night after picking up my 2007 X3 from the dealer, repair from hail damage, I had the yellow "exterior light inop." annunciator light on the dash. Picked it up after they were closed so had to drive all the way back today to have them check it out as ALL THE LIGHTS ON THE EXTERIOR WERE WORKING. They hooked it up to the computer and sure enough they said it was a light bulb on the right rear just above the brake light, that is NOT HOOKED UP HERE IN THE USA. I guess it is a European thing that they have rear "fog lights" and that sneaky thing was the culprit. Even though it is not hooked up it still needs to be functional. Not sure why they would design such a thing, but the dealer did replace it at NO CHARGE! I have to say I was not impressed with the design, but I am impressed with the service I have always received at Bergstrom Premiere in Appleton Wisconsin! Just a shout out for making me ha happy customer. If anyone has a question to which light it is post back and Ill post a picture.

#2 ·
The rear foglight also functions as the adaptive brake light. If you activate ABS under heavy braking, those will illuminate in addition to standard brake lights. The idea is to warn drivers behind you of the sudden stop.

It also functions as the back-up brake light; should the normal brake light fail or burn out on one side, the rear foglight will substitute.

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
OK, I can see that as a safety feature but if you are parked, and push the brake pedal really hard (to simulate a panic stop :yikes:) will the adaptive light come on? Seems a bit overengineered to me but hey that's what german cars do and that's why so many people love them and put up with all their quirks I guess.:dunno:

#7 ·
I think its a better solution than Audi's solution (flashing the hazards under heavy braking). If anyone saw the Stig take the Q7 TDI around the track, it was flashing its hazards every corner! And like I said, the function as a "backup" brake light is clever and safe.

#19 ·
That seems to be a pretty standard European safety feature, even their reasonably priced car does it on the track fairly often. Seems like a great idea, I've always tried to hit my hazards for a bit when having to stop unexpectedly on the highway, to try to give the people behind me a better chance to notice that something's up.

I believe I heard that US law forces that automatic warning to be stripped out of cars over here.

#8 ·
I recall reading about a rear fog light in my Owner's Manual, but it wasn't clear to me how to make it function as a fog light...

Is the rear fog light disabled on US models, or does it also come on when, say, you turn on the front fog lights...?

#10 ·
#14 ·
Send a PM to user Kenza. He recently has been trying to retrofit xenons on his 2008 X3 and that involved getting a xenon headlight switch. Therefore he might have his old light switch, and he's based in Chile so his vehicle has that extra button.

#16 · (Edited)
Just curious but why go through the hassle to retrofit this rear fog light when it is not even deemed to be useful enough to be included by the manufacturer in its North American cars? Seems like just another thing to go wrong and screw up the very tempermental BMW electrical grid IMHO. What actual benefit does this give other than bothering following drivers with a bright white light in their face. Just wondering.

#17 · (Edited)
Well, if they're used properly (which I will acknowledge is not commonplace here in the States where fog lights are concerned...), the rear fog lights (which I believe are red rather than white) would increase your visibility to drivers who are following you in poor visibility. They are intended for use in foul weather (fog, heavy rain, etc.) only. So, speaking solely for myself, I just want to be seen by the drivers behind me in foul weather, and these would help make that happen. I personally don't intend to drive around with these things on, rain or shine, day and night, just because I think they look "cool..."

I would speculate that the only reason they are not activated on North American vehicles is because there's no regulatory requirements for them (like in Europe). And the reason they're probably on the vehicle, despite being inactive, is because it's just easier and less expensive to manufacture, stock, and install one set of tail light housings (left/right), and use slightly different switch modules depending on the intended market.

#23 ·
Ok, the rear fogs are red. So are the tail lights. What is the benefit of having another red light back there when your lights are on anyway -- as they are in periods of reduced viz.? The brake lights are not the tail lights they are separate lights (although they may be in the same bulb -- dual filament). I guess the extra lights along with the tail lights might be useful though. I guess I answered my own question.:rofl:

#24 ·
Well, the increased visibility factor actually has less to do with the number of lights as it does with the intensity of those lights. Yes, your tail lights would (or at least should) be on in adverse weather conditions, but the rear fog lights are probably equal in intensity to the brake lights, which are, of course, much brighter than the tail lights. So, unless one is riding their brakes, the only rear-facing lights other drivers would see in adverse conditions are the tail lights. And in dense fog, you'll literally be right on top of another vehicle before you even see a hint of their tail lights...

Which is why fog lights (front and rear) are for fog and poor visibility only; if they're used in clear conditions, they will just annoy and/or confuse other drivers, and potentially create an increased hazard by blinding them a bit.

#26 · (Edited)
OK, they look brighter and probably would be useful, but I wouldn't go through the hassle of trying to retrofit them. That's just me of course.:angel: It would be nice to think that rear fog lights would prevent crashes like the one(s) on I-5 in the valley fog. I doubt seriously if in those cases, and given the speed and inattention of the drivers on that road in those conditions, if even Xenons pointed to the rear would have helped much.

#27 ·
OK, they look brighter and probably would be useful, but I wouldn't go through the hassle of trying to retrofit them. That's just me of course.:angel:
Ordinarily, I'd probably agree. But given that they're already installed, wired, and available on every 2007+ model-year X3; and given that all owners of those vehicles ostensibly have to do to activate them is swap out the headlight switch module (the hardest parts of which seem to be getting your hands on the correct one, and prying the old one out of the dashboard), I'm willing to put in the effort for a little added safety.

It would be nice to think that rear fog lights would prevent crashes like the one(s) on I-5 in the valley fog. I doubt seriously if in those cases, and given the speed and inattention of the drivers on that road in those conditions, if even Xenons pointed to the rear would have helped much.
Well, again, I tend to agree. The primary reason I do not own a motorcycle is not because I doubt my ability to handle one; it's because I've got to share the roads with everybody else, and have no control over what they do -- stupid or otherwise... I simply want the added protection that a vehicle affords me over a motorcycle...

Now, will rear fog lights absolutely prevent said vehicle from getting rear-ended on some interstate in zero-zero visibility...? Obviously not. But they do hedge my bets in that direction...

#28 ·
Well, maybe if mine were installed and only needed a hook up then I would think about it more. However I have an '06 and I don't believe they are switch ready. As to the comments on the bike I couldn't agree more. I used to ride but it has become so dangerous that it is just not worth it to me. I guess that is what happens when you get old and finally realize you are no longer immortal.:eek: Enjoy your rear fog lights everyone and I hope it keeps you safer!:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.