BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Advice on Spacers

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SHAARK 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought a set of wheels and got them to the tire shop today to get them fitted and the person said they are rubbing on the inside edge(they were good when we checked with just the wheel but after having the tire mounted on it, it didn't sit flush) and I can't use them, So I am thinking may be I can use spacers to resolve this problem.

I need your help guys in finding the right spacers, have any of you guys used spacers and if so did you have any problems after having them??

Is it recommendable to use spacers, since these are Hub centric wheels do we have problems like the normal wheels??

Please advice

#2 ·
The Tire's I have are the stock one's 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 and the wheels I bought are same as stock Bolt Pattern of 5*120, Rim Diameter and width of (19*8.5 and 19*9.5) with Hub Bore of 72.56, except for the offsets are ET18/ET20

so please advice on what kind of spacers I can use and is it reliable to use spacers

#3 ·
The Tire's I have are the stock one's 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 and the wheels I bought are same as stock Bolt Pattern of 5*120, Rim Diameter and width of (19*8.5 and 19*9.5) with Hub Bore of 72.56, except for the offsets are ET18/ET20

so please advice on what kind of spacers I can use and is it reliable to use spacers
I have spacers on mine. 10mm front and 12mm rears. My 20" wheels are ET20 front and rear.

#4 ·
Now, this depends on the "back of your wheel offset" and not all wheels are identical. After I swapped wheels but kept stock tires the fronts rubbed on the strut. I ran (literally) down to the local speed shop and he had some universal spacers, somwhere between 5 and 10 mm. Slipped em in and was able to go. I then ordered H&R Spacers hub centric 10mm all around (front and back) and they filled in the gap without causing a wheel/fender collision. QUality spacers are important as the universals are not guaranteeing a balance. I did need longer lugs - pay very close attention to the warning on the box and make sure you have enough lug getting into the hub threads, otherwise disaster can result! I am contemplating replacing the 10mm rears for 15mm...

#5 ·
Thank you so much for those replies and based upon that I am considering one of these, please look at the link below it's from the local shop in my city and I am thinking of buying the

http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/tcwstore/index.php?l=product_list&c=706

10mm Hub Centric Wheel Spacer, BMW, Pair, 5x120mm, 72.6mm Centerbore, Flat - SP80B

or

5mm Hub Centric Wheel Spacer, BMW, Pair, 5x120mm, 72.6mm Centerbore, Flat - SP55120

let me know if I made the right choice and which one should I buy 5mm or 10mm, and I also might have to look at the longer lugs as you might have mentioned

#6 ·
I think in the DIY section there is a how-to on measuring for spacers. 5mm isn't much and while it may solve the rubbing problem they may not make much of a difference aesthetically. I am considering buying larger ones than the 10mm I have for appearances.

#8 ·
mate,

just used an online wheel n tyre offset calculator

assuming your oem fronts are as mine and a 14 offset
and assuming your new wheels are the 18 offset then your wheel is sitting 4mm closer to the suspension strut. so a 5mm spacer will take it back to more or less oem.
but this 4mm shouldnt really rub.
if your front offsets on new wheeels are 20 then the wheel will sit 6 mm closer to the sus. strut..

personally i would go with 10mm spacers, fill them arches and get rid of any rubing for sure :thumbup:

measurements taken from http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

hope it helps

#10 ·
no problem, we gotta help each other out where we can and stop the stealers robbing our mods money :rofl:

next i gottta stop people getting robbed for brake pads and rotor changes . this is so easy to do it makes me :mad: how much they charge. more so here in the u.k than the states from what i understand

good luck with the wheels and remember pics , pics, pics

#11 ·
You are so right!!!, I went to store this morning but guess what there was not store in that area..looks like they went out of business, and no other store in Town does the spacers, So my next best bet I am thinking is to buy the spacers online and get them done myself, I am not sure on how good it's gonna turn out to be...keeping my fingers crossed here

Oh by the way did I mention the new wheels I am doing are the Matte Black M6 Design and I am changing the front grille to matte black as well :D

So I am thinking of buying some 10mm spacers for both front and rear, please let me know of any websites that sell some good stuff and if I have to change the lugs, then where can I get an appropriate set of longer lugs for both and front

Thanks!!

#12 · (Edited)
You need longer wheel bolts if you use spacers larger than 5mm.

Here are a few good places to order them from:
Turner Motorsports
Rogue Engineering
EAS
JleviSW

Most performance parts places sell spacers. I like H&R spacers the best but Rogue and Macht Schnell are good too.

#14 ·
The Tuner Motorsports said something about compromising the safety when using 10mm spacers, I tried to understand it but I am not really good when it comes to cars and not able to understand it, can you please explain it what it is that I am jeopardizing or should I just go for 12mm or 12.5mm and if I am doing what are the things that I have to considor....please advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.