BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Too Many M cars

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Minnesota M3 
#1 · (Edited)
There are M3, M roadster, M5, M5 wagon, M6, MX3, MX5, MX6. Yea, yea, yea, the engineer at the M Drive said not all series have M cars. M cars are money maker for BMW. I think with all the Ms that are coming it, it really dilutes the M badge. I can bet there will eventually be a M1 series as well.

#2 ·
not really... So far its M3, M roadster/coupe, M5 (Wagon or sedan) M6. there is no MX3 MX5 MX6 what are those Mazda's?? The X6 M and X5 M are not out yet but they are doing it to compete with the Cayenne GTS> I don't think it lowers the pride by having more models. so far no such thing as a X3 M, although it is available with the M body styling, Still not an ///M. and as for the "M1" that is the BMW supercar a little knowledge for ya... "In the late 1970s, Italian manufacturer Lamborghini entered into an agreement with BMW to build a production racing car in sufficient quantity for homologation. The result was sold to the public, from 1978 to 1981, as the BMW M1" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M1 Now if you meant it by the 1 series made as an M so far the concept is the 135 tii but its not called the M1
P.S. google is your friend... :rofl:
~Adam

#3 · (Edited)
not really... So far its M3, M roadster/coupe, M5 (Wagon or sedan) M6. there is no MX3 MX5 MX6 what are those Mazda's?? The X6 M and X5 M are not out yet but they are doing it to compete with the Cayenne GTS> I don't think it lowers the pride by having more models. so far no such thing as a X3 M, although it is available with the M body styling, Still not an ///M. and as for the "M1" that is the BMW supercar a little knowledge for ya... "In the late 1970s, Italian manufacturer Lamborghini entered into an agreement with BMW to build a production racing car in sufficient quantity for homologation. The result was sold to the public, from 1978 to 1981, as the BMW M1" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M1 Now if you meant it by the 1 series made as an M so far the concept is the 135 tii but its not called the M1P.S. google is your friend... :rofl:
~Adam
You caught that. So, I fixed it. Google is not my best friend. Nothing is said about the SAV M cars. They were at the M Drive event. You can't drive them before the press. It will be introduced in Frankfurt this fall??? Originally they tossed in a 700 hp MX5 for testing, but the released X5M will have about 550 hp. It is the fastest SUV around Nuringburg so said BMW.

#4 ·
Rumor has it that BMW is working on a whole new line that will address this. I've heard the terms 'SuperSport' and 'tii' bandied about. This new line will be what M used to be--light weight, enthusiast and Motorsport bred. Expect to see smaller displacement engines with very high specific outputs, advanced materials and construction techniques which emphasize a high degree of driver involvement, and a reduction in the comfort and convenience features.

I do hope the rumors are true. It certainly does stretch credibility to slap a 'Motorsport' badge on a 5500lb SUV.

#5 · (Edited)
Rumor has it that BMW is working on a whole new line that will address this. I've heard the terms 'SuperSport' and 'tii' bandied about. This new line will be what M used to be--light weight, enthusiast and Motorsport bred. Expect to see smaller displacement engines with very high specific outputs, advanced materials and construction techniques which emphasize a high degree of driver involvement, and a reduction in the comfort and convenience features.

I do hope the rumors are true. It certainly does stretch credibility to slap a 'Motorsport' badge on a 5500lb SUV.
Sneak preview... (credit the picture to drmwvr)

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
I think it is pretty cool for BMW to bring X5 M and X6 M to compete against the likes of Porsche Cayenne Turbo and others. I think some people really like powerful SUV's and they will be a hit among rich and famous.

Me on the other hand....... would take a nimble and light M car any day over heavy SUV's. Oh and here is a complain to BMW M division....I wish you guys would have put a bit more effort into the making of BMW M6 competition package. As it does not offer any substantial upgrade in weight reduction, or power.:tsk:

#10 ·
What was it wasn't?

#12 ·
There are M3, M roadster, M5, M5 wagon, M6, MX3, MX5, MX6. Yea, yea, yea, the engineer at the M Drive said not all series have M cars. M cars are money maker for BMW. I think with all the Ms that are coming it, it really dilutes the M badge. I can bet there will eventually be a M1 series as well.
+10000...

I've thought this for a long time. They just slap an M onto everything. :thumbdwn: Its all about the money and marketing. Seems like BMW moved away from the initial intention on an M. (Unless it always was about marketing and not about performance.) :dunno:

#15 · (Edited)
Slightly off topic but I spent 2 weeks driving in Europe last month: I saw at least 20 911s in München in 24 hrs (lots around the Hotel Kempinski), only 1 M3 - and it was an E90. Same for A-bahn: many 911s, 1 Audi R8 .. M3s, nil. I also didn't see any of the new ///M's X5M & X6M (let's face it, to go for the Cayenne Crowd). I'm not impressed w/ the M SAV direction but I go get it from a product perspective. After all, they have all those porky Boomers to cater to ... :D

In S. France I saw 8 Ferraris, several Lambos, 2 Astons and a Veyron (!) ... not a single M3. Every time I pulled in to refuel my M3 was like a magnet for car buffs & they would cluster around and ask me questions in broken English - and me replying w/ gestures & simple sentences.

I go to Germany every year, and have noted this scarcity before: M3's seem a much rarer species over there ... fuel consumption likely has something to do w/ it.

#17 ·
Rather than using your obseration to determine rarity, should we be using cars sold instead?

#27 ·
No, not fuel consumption, but more likely price. The M3 in Europe is far more expensive than it is in the U.S. - for the kind of money they charge in Europe, people would buy a Ferrari.

#16 ·
Do the 911s and Ferarries suck less petrol???

#18 ·
Sometimes I think they should just do away with the series and make all M's! It's M here, M there, M's everywhere..

#19 ·
:rofl: You mean your BMW is not a M?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.