BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The official E9x OT thread!

2M views 4K replies 138 participants last post by  i🫶myN54 
#1 ·
Many of you have asked for it... so here it is.

While this is OT, all of the rules still apply. Keep in mind that personal attacks an NSFW material will get posters in hot water.

Enjoy.

- Mike

#2,780 ·
Happy New Year

From Boca Raton, Florida

#2,781 ·
Ah, thanks for the pics jocamryn. I miss Sylvester night in Germany. Not a big deal in the US, though we made it up 'till midnight watching the pitiful Dallas party on TV. Didn't hear a single fire cracker in the neighborhood.

Happy 2012!

#2,782 ·
Happy New Years

#2,783 · (Edited)
So, last week, the 335i was in the shop for servicing, and the wife and I were just browsing the used section of the dealership. And things got sideways. Came very, very close to jumping on the last year of the last gen 7 series - 2008 750Li CPO. With the promotion of first two payments paid and 0.9& financing, the monthly payments were definitely doable. It was tempting...

Fortunately, there is a independent exotic dealer close by, so we checked out a 2005 Conti GT (again). Even at twice the price of the offered 750Li, the Bentley's luxury and power emphasizes what a real luxury car is...by comparison the big Bimmer seems to state: "I'm a 40-something Lawyer that likes to hit on college girls". And I'm not that guy.

Over the weekend, for some strange reason, I've been researching 2000-2003 E39 M5s. I don't even like four door sedans. With 188K miles on the E93, and a list of maintenance items coming due again, I wonder if I'm starting to become bored with the car.

#2,790 ·
"I'm a 40-something Lawyer that likes to hit on college girls". And I'm not that guy.
Grad students, lose the lawyer requirement, and that could potentially be me at 40 :)

#2,784 ·
Bcube, I'm with you on the 7er but to be honest, comparing a 7 to a Bentley Continental is a bit of a strange comparison. I don't think those are cross-shopped frequently! Have you looked at the previous generation 6er and an M6 coupe? The local BMW CCA Tourmeister recently replaced his E39 M5 with an M6 and is very pleased with it.

I think you should take the E93 to 200k! ;)

#2,785 ·
Bcube, I'm with you on the 7er but to be honest, comparing a 7 to a Bentley Continental is a bit of a strange comparison. I don't think those are cross-shopped frequently! Have you looked at the previous generation 6er and an M6 coupe? The local BMW CCA Tourmeister recently replaced his E39 M5 with an M6 and is very pleased with it.

I think you should take the E93 to 200k! ;)
How about a V-12 760Li? Nonetheless, it is the wife making the Bentley decisions. :)

Yes, I've been looking at M6 - but the prices are still a bit too high. E60 M5 is eight to ten thousand cheaper for comparable year/mileage - at least in my locale. E39 M5 are $18-$22K.

Actually, I am looking for an occasional track day car that can be used primarily to go to the supermarket. I am even considering a newish MINI Clubman S or JCW, then I would have an economical, yet fun, commuter/Lowes & supermarket stuffer/track day star. On the pros & cons list, the MINI ranks pretty high for versatility.

Still planning on going the distance on the E93. Now that - I hope - we've gotten the last of the oil leaks fixed.

#2,791 ·
To the douche in the Escalade on I35E this morning -- the left pedal is for braking. Give it a shot some time. It might come in handy when there isn't a shoulder on the left side of the road.

#2,792 ·
Maybe he was "engine breaking" :dunno:

CA

#2,796 ·
Best wishes Ice!

CA

#2,795 ·
Best of luck, Ice. Backing-up to a colonoscopy tomorrow myself.

#2,797 ·
In the doghouse...

Today is the day I start my eighth over (if you are a cricket fan). My GF asked me if I was going to have a mid-life crisis...

I said: "Yes, I am going to buy a big red corvette tomorrow"
She said: "I might buy one too. If I buy one, can I keep it in your garage?"
I said: "Sure, Honey!"
She said: "How come you can clear space in your garage for a corvette, but not my Volvo?"
I said: "..."

:dunno:

:(

She's a live one alright! LOL!

#2,800 ·
Today is the day I start my eighth over (if you are a cricket fan). My GF asked me if I was going to have a mid-life crisis...

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!

(Loved the video, but can you please provide the note to my surgeon explaining what you posted that caused me to tear my stiches?) :angel:

#2,802 ·
Field Trip!

Although Hamburg, Germany isn't exactly known as being a tourist destination it is home to Miniatur Wunderland which is the largest model railway on the planet. This isn't just a railway though - it's planes, trains, automobiles and ships and people... lots and lots of teeny tiny people doing everything imaginable. It is a computerized 14,000 sq ft. (with expansion to 26,000 sq ft in the works) marvel not to mention that the designers have quite the sense of humor if you look closely enough.

I even found a gray E93 in one of the scenes!

Still pictures don't really do it justice so included is a link:

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

And when you get tired of looking at the teeny tiny cars, Hamburg is also home to the Prototyp Museum which is a small but very nice collection.

If you ever find yourself ending up in Hamburg look these venues up - you won't be disappointed.

#2,807 ·
Nice pictures Kat, I'll put Hamburg on my short list. Either one of those two venues would make it worth the trip. I have to ask...Do they have hamburgers there, the food, not the residents? They do have weeners in Vienna, but they're not Oscar Mayer.
Depends upon if you count schnitzel as a burger!

@Kat - Gorgeous pics
Thanks Furball. I wish I would have had more experience with the 1080p video recording on my new Nikon D7000. At MW there was so much action and so many funny things going on.

@Kat

There is apparently a connection between passion for cars and passion for model railroading.

This book on model trains was written by legendary race driver Sam Posey,

I'll have to check that one out. I can see where the overlap could exist. Miniatur Wunderland is a delight even if you have little interest in model railroading per-se. There are something like 65 individual computers runnng all the animations and the sequences are incredibly complex.

#2,808 ·
Nice pictures Kat, I'll put Hamburg on my short list. Either one of those two venues would make it worth the trip. I have to ask...Do they have hamburgers there, the food, not the residents? They do have weeners in Vienna, but they're not Oscar Mayer.
They don't have those, but they have Wiener Schnitzel in Wien, as well as Wiener WĂĽrstchen. Weener? That's like calling your vehicle a Beamer!

I concur with Kat that Hamburg is a neat destination for a day. Seeing the many ships in the harbor, sampling the seafood fare; it has a unique northern feel. You can also turn south-east for a day and visit the area along the Elbe river (Neuhaus to Wittenberge).

#2,810 ·
Worse, I think...calling a Wiener a weener will at best mark you as a foreigner, perhaps much worse if he's bigger than you and touchy. ;) :angel:
I knew the proper name of a resident is Wiener, but I needed a homophone to make the joke work. Are we dealing with homophonia here?
(On a positive note, if you are conversing with a Wiener and call him a weener he will smile and nod. However, I do not recommend that when in Limburg you make a big point of mentioning that you like all Limbugers, but have trouble getting past the smell.)

#2,811 ·
... I do not recommend that when in Limburg you make a big point of mentioning that you like all Limbugers, but have trouble getting past the smell.
:rofl:
Hamburgers, Wieners, Limburgers ... Frankfurters ... Muensters ... Braunschweigers ... dammit DSX, I'm on a diet over here! :mad::p

#2,805 ·
Challenge!

I have accepted a CHALLENGE!

It will be in two parts, and it will be tough.

All of your involvement will be requested!

More details to come.

Stay Tuned.

#2,806 ·
@Kat

There is apparently a connection between passion for cars and passion for model railroading.

This book on model trains was written by legendary race driver Sam Posey,

#2,814 · (Edited)
The Henry Ford Punch Bowl has been found thanks to a "Chowderhead"

As I mentioned about a month ago in this thread Edsel Ford II was the featured speaker at the December 2011 meeting of the Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (see Autoweek article below). He asked for the members help in locating the punch bowl that has great grandfather Henry Ford I had won in 1901 in his one and only auto race, One of the members (many members are in advertising and journalism) was able to get an article about his presentation published in the New York Times, Someone in Holland saw the article and knew of the location of the Punch Bowl. According to Mr. Ford it is now in Detroit in the process of being authenticated,

By: Aaron Sigmond on 12/16/2011

"Ford has lost the Punch Bowl--and we want it back," declared Edsel B. Ford II earlier this week in New York City.

Indeed, the Punch Bowl is a historical artifact of Ford Motor Racing (which predates Ford Motor Co. by two years), and Ford wants it to become one of the centerpieces of the "Racing in America" exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Mich. Ford II described the trophy previously as "a footnote of history that sometimes it gets away from us. Frankly, the Punch Bowl has meant a lot to me personally. I was hopeful that a few years ago we were actually on our way to finding it, but that didn't happen."

The background: Henry Ford was broke in 1901. His first automotive venture, the Detroit Automobile Co., which made delivery trucks, went belly-up. "It was a crushing defeat for Henry Ford," recounted his great-grandson, Ford II.

Investors, including the then-mayor of Detroit and a U.S. senator were none too excited funding another Ford folly--though onus of the failure was actually on them, as they insisted that Ford produce trucks, not cars.

Ford, his wife Clara and their seven-year-old son, Edsel, moved into his parents' house while Ford plotted his next move.

"If he wanted to start another car company, and he did, then Henry Ford needed a new source of capital and to capture the public eye. So to do that, he turned to racing," continued Ford II.

Ford II told the tale earlier this week to a packed room at the annual holiday luncheon of the Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society, held at NYC theater-district mainstay Sardi's since 1957. Ford II recalled over the course of an eloquent and fondly anecdotal talk the story of Henry Ford's first, and certainly most fortuitous motor-racing win against America's first racing superstar, Alexander Winton. It was at that race that he received the trophy, an American Brilliant cut glass punch bowl by T.G. Hawkes & Co., of Corning, N.Y., for which Ford Motor Co. has renewed its search.

On Oct. 10, 1901, the Detroit Driving Club planned to host a 25-lap race on the Grosse Pointe Blue Ribbon Horse Track. To potentially entice investors, Henry Ford and a small team headed up by Ford and Childe Harold Wills, built the famous car they named "Sweepstakes." Ford was not looking for speed (the car's engine made only 26 hp) but reliability. It was a good decision, as things turned out.
On the day of the race, approximately 8,000 fans packed the grandstands. The 25 laps had been trimmed to 10 because events on other days had run long, and the move from endurance to sprint was not good news for Sweepstakes or Ford. The field of competitors had also shrunk to three, after mechanical issues forced others to withdraw, and then two. Ultimately, it was only Ford and Winton in the race for victory.

By lap seven, Ford began to catch up to Winton, the "fastest man in America," and by lap eight, Winton's car began to sputter and misfire. Ford won the race, and with it, a much-needed $1,000 prize, and, of course, the Punch Bowl. Winton's team had been so sure of winning that it had convinced race organizers to choose the Punch Bowl as the trophy because it would look good in the bay window of Winton's home.
Instead, the Punch Bowl remained in the Ford household until 1951 when, after the passing of Henry's widow Clara, the bulk of the estate was sold at auction at the Parke-Bernet Galleries (later acquired by Sotheby's) in New York City. The bowl went to a client identified only as "The Garden Shop."

"When the grandchildren [of Henry and Clara Ford] dealt with the estate, nobody realized the significance of the Punch Bowl [as the first trophy of Ford Racing]," said Ford II. "They presumed it was just a quaint old antique."

Sold off with the bulk of the furnishings and other household goods, Ford II mused, "it's probably on a dining-room table somewhere with ornamental apples or up in someone's attic."

However, if you own the Punch Bowl--or know who does--don't get your hopes up that a financial windfall is imminent.

"There is no reward being offered," Ford II said

#2,815 ·
Charity Challenge

Hello Friends!

I hope you are all doing well.

Recently I volunteered for a charity group, (http://www.vso.org.uk) which raises money to send human resources (doctors, teachers, construction workers, etc) to East Africa to help impoverished children.

I have worked on a number of charities before and this is the first time I am taking a lead role for my segment. My goals for this is two fold:

1) To raise at least $7,500 which goes to the charity. This money will be pooled with other donations to help train, send, and keep skilled workers helping the children
2) Out of my own personal funds I will travel to Tanzania, meet with some of the children and volunteers to see the work they are doing. To culminate the trip, and symbolize reaching the fundraising goal on Monday, September 9th, 2012, I will raise my hands while standing on the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest free-standing mountain in the world, after climbing over 19,000 feet with fellow team members from all over the world.

What I ask of you is also two fold:

1) If you can, proceed to this link and help by donating http://www.justgiving.com/ClimbToTheSky
2) Share the above link, as well as my FB group page with people that you know so they too will hopefully donate and share the link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/289957841053638/

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and helping support my cause.

Best

Furball

#2,818 ·
Hello Friends!

I hope you are all doing well.

Recently I volunteered for a charity group, (http://www.vso.org.uk) which raises money to send human resources (doctors, teachers, construction workers, etc) to East Africa to help impoverished children.

I have worked on a number of charities before and this is the first time I am taking a lead role for my segment. My goals for this is two fold:

1) To raise at least $7,500 which goes to the charity. This money will be pooled with other donations to help train, send, and keep skilled workers helping the children
2) Out of my own personal funds I will travel to Tanzania, meet with some of the children and volunteers to see the work they are doing. To culminate the trip, and symbolize reaching the fundraising goal on Monday, September 9th, 2012, I will raise my hands while standing on the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest free-standing mountain in the world, after climbing over 19,000 feet with fellow team members from all over the world.

What I ask of you is also two fold:

1) If you can, proceed to this link and help by donating http://www.justgiving.com/ClimbToTheSky
2) Share the above link, as well as my FB group page with people that you know so they too will hopefully donate and share the link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/289957841053638/

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and helping support my cause.

Best

Furball
The linked site has donation amounts in pounds sterling. Is there another site which speaks dollars?

#2,827 ·
Holy Sh*t, now we're talking like a bunch of old ladies in E9x OT. How sad. I remember the good old days, evidence below, when it was the Wild West and Sheriff Emission and his sidekick Deadeye Llando were patrolling the streets of another subforum. This kinder, gentler Off Topic thread is at maximum suckage.

Attachments

#2,828 · (Edited)
Holy Sh*t, now we're talking like a bunch of old ladies in E9x OT. How sad. I remember the good old days, evidence below, when it was the Wild West and Sheriff Emission and his sidekick Deadeye Llando were patrolling the streets of another subforum. This kinder, gentler Off Topic thread is at maximum suckage.
Go to heck!
Gosh Darn You!
You're full of baloney!
So's your old man!

Happy now? :dunno:

I double dog dare you to report this post!

CA

#2,837 ·
Took this pic on 44th Street in Manhattan last April.

#2,840 ·
That's outside Sardi's, I recognize the marquee across the street! I knew that damned valet didn't take it right to the grage when I flipped him the keys. And I tipped him a couple bucks, too!
Thas's exactly where it was. The head of McLaren USA spoke to the Manhattan Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society and there was a complete car and a rolling chassis parked in front. "Chowder" meets at Sardis the second tuesday of each month. Vincent Sardi was a racer and a founding member. The featured speaker usually parks a car in front so I have similar shots of a Spyker fron when Victor Muller spoke, a Boss 302 from when Edsel Ford Spoke and a 110 year old Alco race car from when the curator of the Vanderbilt Cup races spoke. New Yorkers are usually oblivious to cars but those cars generally attract a lot of attention.

CA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.