BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is navigation worth it?

6K views 78 replies 35 participants last post by  thumper_330 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a certified 2007 335i sedan with at least the sport package. I'm finding a lot of good deals, but the ones with nav are much more expensive (obviously). Do you guys think its worth the increase in price? Thanks everyone.

#2 ·
: popcorn:

This is one of those personal opinion issues. I PERSONALLY really enjoyed the idrive system in my 2007. I absolutely love the updated i-drive in my 2009.

Having the integrated system brings the car together. HOWEVER, like any technology options, it really dates the car when it comes to resell down the road. With a portable GPS unit, you can at least buy a new one every so often to stay current with the latest and greatest technology.

#4 ·
Google droid has the best navigation system which is constantly updated (free), shows traffic jams (free), shows construction (free), shows street view/sat view (free) and more. BMW nav needs updates (not free), and I don't think shows traffic james, construction or street view...and if it does I would think it is not free.

But, whatever you like. Either way it's a CPO you will get it much much cheaper then someone who got it brand new. Make sure they give you the latest updates as part of the deal.

#5 ·
Google droid has the best navigation system which is constantly updated (free), shows traffic jams (free), shows construction (free), shows street view/sat view (free) and more. BMW nav needs updates (not free), and I don't think shows traffic james, construction or street view...and if it does I would think it is not free.
But, whatever you like. Either way it's a CPO you will get it much much cheaper then someone who got it brand new. Make sure they give you the latest updates as part of the deal.
2007 and later models have traffic and construction updates as a standard (free) feature of idrive. It works well IMO.

#7 ·
It may be worth it to control various car settings through the large, bright screen... As a navigating function - I would rather use any kind of Garmin/TomTom device (I've been using those things for many years) than the BMW's navi, even the one that comes with CiC unit (which I have in my current car).

#9 ·
I usually keep my cars 5 to 8 years and was concerned about having outdated technology permanently fastened to the center of my dashboard. The Nav (and all the iDrive things which go along with it) was therfore not on my 'must have' list. If I had planned on a three year cycle I would have gone for it.
My guess is that Nav is going to be integrated with a heads up display at some point. That would be cool.

#12 ·
I agree. I typically use navigation maybe once every 3 or 4 months. But I do like having a map permantly there, and I like the screen. I think it's very convenient to have the satellite radio display and be able to use the dial to scroll through the channels. I love having the dial right in front of the armrest so you never have to lean forward to change the channel.

Plus, having the idrive just makes the car seem more luxurious and modern.

#13 ·
I avoided it on purpose - the reason?

I tested (and wrote a review for) a 750i and hated the i-drive system. Then my inlaws got a brand new 535d with it - it kept going wrong and the entire electronic system went into meltdown. The car went back four months later.

Anything that takes my eyes off the road is bad news IMO and I just prefer buttons. i-drive "solves" a problem that never existed in my eyes and I've always thought factory fitted satnav is just ludicrously priced and dates very quickly.

My current mobile phone (HTC Desire) has very good GPS so that's my backup but in general I use a good old paper map book. You also can't get nearly as lost here in the UK!

I prefer the "clean" dash too. Which happens to look just like a breaking wave... ;-)

#18 ·
I bought my "d" off the lot and I love its nav system.Is it worth $2,000 (or whatever I paid)? Nope...not to me at least.Not even close.

#19 ·
BMW nav is worth it

I've had it since 2004 on 2 BMWs, and I'm getting it on a new e93 335is. Sure, you can get a Garmin for a fraction of the price, but RTTI is a tremendous asset. True, it's not perfect, but it has saved me many times!

#21 ·
Skip the nav. Three primary reasons:

1. The $2000 nav in the BMW is outdated and lousy compared to any old $125 Nuvi you can buy at any Target, Best Buy, or WalMart.

2. The nav is part of a bigger problem called iDrive which complicates very simple functions like increasing the volume or changing a radio station.

3. The hump on the dash is hideous.

So, you will buy a non-nav car, you will save $1500, you will purchase a $125 Garmin Nuvi, you will turn a knob to increase the volume, and you will smile ear-to-ear at how good your dash looks without the goiter in the middle of it.

BJ

#25 ·
Skip the nav. Three primary reasons:

2. The nav is part of a bigger problem called iDrive which complicates very simple functions like increasing the volume or changing a radio station.

3. The hump on the dash is hideous.

BJ
Um, how is a rotary or steering wheel volume control complicated (or different from a non-iDrive car)?

The 3er interior looks 1980s retro without iDrive. I love mine.

#22 ·
I've used the nav several times on trips. It comes in handy when your in a city your not familiar with. What I like most is checking on the service intervals, fluid levels, having my phone book handy. The screen just makes it easy to set up some of the functions on the car. I was actually looking for a 330i without it. But this car had pretty much what I want so I bought it. I am now glad I have the fancy Gizmo. Oh my wife gets lost easy so having the Nav she just has to hit home and she will find her way:rofl:

#24 ·
I would not get the old version of i-Drive if I were you. Plus if that screen dies it's probably 5 grand to replace (for no reason).

If I was ordering a 2011 car I'd definitely get it, because people pretty much expect a screen at this point in a $40k+ car.

#26 ·
Nope, not the way it is at least.

BMW makes tons of money off of this. Extremely overpriced for extremely limited and simple functions. $0.99 iphone app would have better functions and complexity than BMW's $2100 iDrive.

I have my iphone mounted on the dash instead, which is 1000 times more useful in every which way. For navigation, I use TomTom on iPhone (mounted on the dash). I also like having empty storage space behind the tranny instead of the iDrive knob.

#28 ·
Lemme say something bad about the S4. I can't stand the steering wheel controls. It has two thumb wheels. The one on the right controls volume, the one on the left is for scrolling through songs or phone book (press in on the thumb wheel to select). I hate it. I don't want to look at a screen and pick a new song. I'm driving. I just want to hit NEXT. Now I have to use my shifting hand and screw around with the dash controls.

I really liked the hard previous/next buttons on the BMW steering wheel.

#30 ·
I think you are going to have to make you own mind up on this. I have Idrive, and absolutely love it. I've had built-in navigation systems in my own Acura, and my immediate family has it in an Infiniti G35, M-B S-class. We've also had a Garmin and Tom-Tom and I always have the latest smartphones for work. For various reasons, I like Idrive a lot better than all. But, YMMV.

Idrive inspires strong opinions here. Some love it. Some hate it. Some thing the extra hump is ugly. Some think it makes the interior.

Honestly, I think you should ignore whatever you read here about it. There are no objective opinions on this issues whatsoever. Go take a look at it. Decide if it meets you needs. And, decide if you feel it is worth the money.

I wouldn't personally own another car without it. But, that's me.

#31 ·
+1

CA_harry - find a cop of the same year and test drive them back to back, but focused on the nave, the sat radio, the Bluetooth connection and the iPod control...then decide for yourself which you like and if the cost is good value for YOUR money...best of luck...let us know which way you go...

#32 ·
I absolutely loved the idrive on my 06 330i. To tell you the truth that's what impressed people the most once they sat inside the car. Now I have an e92 335i without idrive and I don't even miss it. Once I step on the gas pedal and hear that "grunt"... who's thinking about idrive??? :thumbup:

#33 ·
They aren't worth the price. Using Idrive to enter data is a chore and the voice activated data entry doesn't work. In 2007, you will have a DVD based NAV, with limited voice turn by turn directions. The voice software can't pronounce street names, so you get right or left turn only directions.

I have a year old Garmin which is much better than the BMW nav in my 2008 335, at 1/10th the cost. Every few years you can toss out the Garmin and get all new electronics as well as map updates for the price of a BMW updated DVD, which only updates the map and POI data.

#34 ·
IMHO, it's worth it if the car has iPod integration, you have an iPod that you'll use, and the iPod is loaded with music. I don't have the iDrive package, I do have the HD radio and like the way my car is configured very much. But it is hard to navigate through the music I have on the iPod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.