BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Got a chip, glass repair?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MC 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My pretty thing got a chip in the windshield :-( Its almost a centimeter in dia and I've just realized its growing! Does anyone know of a good glass repair shop in the Bay Area esp. around San Jose? References would really help a lot...

Thanks.

#3 ·
Safelite AutoGlass on San Carlos, between Bascom Ave. and 880.
If your're driving on San Carlos from Bascom, the shop is
on the right side, before the freeway, and next to some Korean BBQ
Restaurant.
Also, make sure you ask for a tech named "Suad" to work on your
car. He's extremely professional and takes great care and pride
in his work. Eight months ago, he injected some resin into a chip
I had on the windshield to prevent it from spreading. I was very
happy with his work.
You can tell him that Jonathan w/ the dk. blue (orient) BMW
referred you.

Good Luck.

#4 ·
Thanks a lot, Jonathan. Unfortunately it seems there is no way I can ask for Suad to work on my car, it will be any tech from the shop. I will be getting it done at Safelite Autoglass.

I had another question: I've just had a claim on my insurance. My car's front wheels were stolen (my other car, Acura Integra) and its been less than a week. I switched insurances and some people have recommended that I pay on my own and NOT report the chip to the new insurance company. I really am okay with that except:

The glass repair shop said that if the glass does break while being repaired, the liability is my own. At that point of time, I cannot choose to go thru my insurance. The decision as to whether or not go thru my insurance has to be taken _before_ the repairs start.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

#8 ·
I just had my windshield repair about 5-inches long cracked on the bottom corner driver side. I recommend using Novus windshield repair. The cracked is slightly visible but he did an excellent job. He filled both end of the cracked to stop it from spreading. I used Novus for many years. Let me know if you need the number, if haven't done it yet.

You can pay it yourself and claim for reimbursement through your insurance. However, insurance doesn't allow windshield repair on cracked windshield, they recommend replacing it. If your cracked is on line of sight, I recommend replacing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.