BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

WHy can't we put the CD nav in X5?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  haigha 
#1 ·
I'm thinkin of rettrofitting the NAV, but the X5 comes only with Cassette...wtf?!!! is there a way of using a CD version instead?

#3 ·
gr8wall said:
To my knowledge, I don't think you can. The problem is due the depth clearance of the Nav unit.
I really don't know why BMW doesn't look into this. I just retrofitted NAV in mine and trust me there's enough space in there to fit a damn home stereo! If they can fit it in the 3 series, they can fit it into an X5! :bang:

#4 ·
It is ridiculous that those vehicles lack the standard music format for most vehicles...that was one of the reasons I didn't purchase the Nav sys...also I rarely drive to places whose location I don't know, so that was the main reason.

#5 ·
King said:
I really don't know why BMW doesn't look into this. I just retrofitted NAV in mine and trust me there's enough space in there to fit a damn home stereo! If they can fit it in the 3 series, they can fit it into an X5! :bang:
So, do you think we can make a CD one fit with some extra work? for example, buy a CD version, and transplant it into the X5? are the parts completely imcompatible? is it because of the incline angle, or what? :confused:

#6 ·
ssabripo said:
So, do you think we can make a CD one fit with some extra work? for example, buy a CD version, and transplant it into the X5? are the parts completely imcompatible? is it because of the incline angle, or what? :confused:
If you can do it, you'll be the first :)

#7 ·
The only setup that comes with the CD behind the screen is the e46. While I was retrofitting my narrow screen to a widescreen I got my hands on an e46 unit. I had the same thoughts that you are having - retrofit the CD player housing to function behind the e53 screen. Unfortunately, the housings are completely different and not compatible whatsoever. Here's a picture of the 3 units that I had - the e46 unit in front, the e53 widescreen in the middle, and the e53 narrow screen in the rear.

ssabripo said:

Attachments

#8 ·
UCrewX5 said:
The only setup that comes with the CD behind the screen is the e46. While I was retrofitting my narrow screen to a widescreen I got my hands on an e46 unit. I had the same thoughts that you are having - retrofit the CD player housing to function behind the e53 screen. Unfortunately, the housings are completely different and not compatible whatsoever. Here's a picture of the 3 units that I had - the e46 unit in front, the e53 widescreen in the middle, and the e53 narrow screen in the rear.
Do you still have the Nav/CD unit?

Me thinks not but thought I'd ask. :D

#11 ·
gr8wall said:
To my knowledge, I don't think you can. The problem is due the depth clearance of the Nav unit.
The centre HVAC vents are in the way. They can be heated & bent to clear (even this is a maybe) but then the vents may sound funny. Sort of like using the rear passenger vents. BMW NA's stance is if you can afford to spend $50K+ on a Bimmer then you can afford to get the CD changer. Anyone who has been to the BMW NA Open House would have heard the same quote from Rich Brekus.

#13 ·
alpina22 said:
The centre HVAC vents are in the way. They can be heated & bent to clear (even this is a maybe) but then the vents may sound funny. Sort of like using the rear passenger vents. BMW NA's stance is if you can afford to spend $50K+ on a Bimmer then you can afford to get the CD changer. Anyone who has been to the BMW NA Open House would have heard the same quote from Rich Brekus.
Theoretically, anybody who is willing to spend $50k+ should also expect early-80s technology to be available, as well...a cd player is standard on a Suzuki. Although I did have a Kia Rio in St Barts that didn't even have a radio.

#14 ·
alpina22 said:
Typicall BMW management.....just a plain MORONIC answer! :mad: So, I guess they think everyone now days has casette decks laying around, and since we all can "afford $50K cars" that we can also have the "privilige" of stopping the car, getting out, going to the back and openeing the CD changer, putting a CD in there that your friend wanted you to hear, going back to the front, listening to it, and then repeat the process to take this ONE cd out, huh? :confused:

Yup....I guess I won't be doing a retrofit after all :thumbdwn: I cannot justify paying $2500 plus all that labor to get a top of the line "cassette deck" on the front when I already have a CD player standard.

Funny, the "entry level" 3-series has the CD version, but the flagship SUV that costs almost $60K doesn't.......OKay!

#15 ·
ssabripo said:
Funny, the "entry level" 3-series has the CD version, but the flagship SUV that costs almost $60K doesn't.......OKay!
I never said the X was perfect. Just telling you the reason for not having an in-dash CD w/NAV. Perhaps when the 9 seater, 6WD, suicide door model is released next year, then it should have an in-dash CD. Personally I'd wait until the 2006 model as it will have dual valvecaps per wheel.

#16 ·
alpina22 said:
I never said the X was perfect. Just telling you the reason for not having an in-dash CD w/NAV. Perhaps when the 9 seater, 6WD, suicide door model is released next year, then it should have an in-dash CD. Personally I'd wait until the 2006 model as it will have dual valvecaps per wheel.
And self-healing bumpers :smirk:

At least BMW had the foresight to make AUX input availble. Who needs a CD player these days that's 80s technology ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.