BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Topeka 10/21 Sailing

15K views 111 replies 10 participants last post by  odessa91 
#1 ·
Well...I must have hit it JUST WRONG. I dropped my car off on Oct. 1 in Stuttgart and it just left port two days ago. :thumbdwn: Next time I roll to Bremerhaven directly.

I tracked the ship and it is in Brugge, Belgium, moored. Says delivery to Port Hueneme on 11/15.

Took 20 days to leave port from the time I dropped it off. This is my 5th ED but I've never really paid attention to my delivery and so I'm not sure if this is an abnormally long or not.

Anyone else on this ship?

#4 ·
If it makes you feel any better the previous boat heading to the west coast left October 7 so going directly to Bremerhaven probably wouldnt have helped. Typically the loads are determined a week in advance.

I am also on the boat, after dropping off in Paris on October 3. Not sure why AlpBMW's took so long. That one should have made the Oct 7 boat.

She is a little behind schedule but a few hours away from Southhampton to pick up the MINIS then on to Panama Canal. I got a tailing shot of the Topeka from a webcam as she pulled out of ZEEBRUGGE. That was fun. The obsession is starting and yes I did buy the iphone app to track her.

#12 ·
I was told that if you note it on the drop off damage report, VPC should/will fix it. I got a door ding in Italy (gotta love those tiny parking spaces...) and was told it will get fixed at VPC (or rather before I take re-delivery of the car). Let me know what you find out please.

#23 ·
The Topeka is currently steaming north along the baja sur coast at 16 knots about 60 nautical miles south southwest of Ensenada...Looks like she might make port on time in approx. 23-24 hours. Perfect as there will be plenty of longshoremen on duty at this time to unload her.

#24 ·
She looks like she is probably 6 or 7 hours behind schedule. She was supposed to dock at around 9 or 10pm tonight (which is 0500-0600 11/15 UTC) but I am guessing she still has another 15 hrs not the 8-9 the schedule shows. Either way docking first thing in the morning would probably speed up the process anyway. I dont think the Port is on a 24hr shift schedule.

#26 ·
My CA told me he has a "buddy" who works at the port and will try to get my X1 (not ED, just order) as fast as possible. But I am not pressing him at all, he just volunteered that. Of course I am excited but I happen to have that whole week off and to me a couple more days at this point is no big deal.

But it will be interesting to see who on this thread gets their car first!

#30 ·
Just saw that myself! Well I imagine there will be some careful inspections of each vehicle off a ship that has come through a storm like Sandy, although i guess careful inspection's part of every cargo unloading.

Is going through customs only for ED vehicles? My X1 is an order from the factory.

#31 ·
Just saw that myself! Well I imagine there will be some careful inspections of each vehicle off a ship that has come through a storm like Sandy, although i guess careful inspection's part of every cargo unloading.

Is going through customs only for ED vehicles? My X1 is an order from the factory.
Did Topeka sail through Sandy? I think it went from the UK straight to Panama but maybe it got some part of the storm - not sure.

I'm sure everything has to go through customs somehow, but I have a feeling a new car will be quicker vs. an ED that someone has already driven and 'used'. Hopefully I'm wrong :)

#32 ·
Everything goes through a customs check and a FDA check (spot check). From there it goes to the VDC which is at the port. THAT is where things can take a while. Customs "should" be a fast process. (hoping i didnt jinx things.)

I am now waiting on the WWL website to update to show customs release and vehicle unloaded information!

#37 ·
Discharged

Mine is showing as discharged now. There's now way to track beyond this (except for maybe cleared customs) from what I understand -- just have to wait for the call from the dealer.

Status Status Location Date Status Quantity
DISCHARGED PORT HUENEME, CA 15-11-2012 11:35:00 1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.