BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Thinking of going for a 228i

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  dexterp652 
#1 ·
Been thinking of going for a 228i I have specked one out (M-Sport. Moonroof Power Seats) were the only options I cared about.

Looking for opinions on first white (non metallic) or red. Typically i would go red but not sure. The other item I am tossing back and forth in my head is should I do auto or should I do stick.

Background, I currently have a red 2009 328xi coupe (auto) and a 95 hellrot red M3 and just learned how to drive the M3 this fall before it snowed and I parked it. Leaning towards stick but wanted to know what people thought of the new generation automatic BMW has.

#3 ·
I haven't driven the ZF 8 Speed on a new BMW yet, but everyone says it is as good and maybe in some cases better than a dual clutch automated manual. For instance, the new ZF is capable of non-sequential downshifts, which is not possible on the DCT (at least not the one in my 335is). Plus the ZF is capable of 200ms shifts...that's as quick as most of the supercars you'll find out right now. For a daily driver, I'd choose that.

#6 ·
Great question! I guess it's just a way for BMW to make the distinction between the x28s and x35s more noticeable..... Kind of ridiculous though. And likewise, Porsche doesn't put HIDs on their base Cayman and Boxsters.

#7 ·
BMW buyers will pay for it. Kia buyers will save their money for lunch. On the other hand, the Kia buyer will cross shop many other brands in the price range and see premium options as standard to be a good value. We can't really compare the $25k value conscious brand/model with a premium market, which is the only one BMW deals in.

#8 ·
Was just at my local dealer and the 2er is very good looking. I am 6' tall and adjusted the drivers seat to how i drive and proceeded to sit in the back, there is a lot of room for the size of the car. i am very interested in picking one up!

#11 ·
I got to drive a 228i auto with paddle shifters late last week and it put a smile on my face. The acceleration was plenty quick, the handling was BMW-esque even on cold, brand new tires, and the steering was heavy enough yet responsive, especially in Sport mode. It did not have the Sport or M Sport package, so standard suspension and seats.

I have a 2011 328i xDrive with stick now, lease ending very soon, and I'm about 95% sure the 228i (with a stick & Sports package) will be my next daily driver.

#12 ·
If you're debating auto vs stick you better get stick. I had the same issue when I bought my 12 128 step. Mistake. I'm losing a lot of money trading it for a manual 228 Msport but I simply miss the manual too much. The 8 speed ZF is a great auto but it's still a auto.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#14 ·
The new ZF automatic is an amazing transmission, goes from 8th to 2nd faster than you can blink and smoothly at that. I have driven nothing but manuals for the last decade and the ZF changed my mind on automatics, especially with the paddle shifters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.