Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-06-2014, 08:00 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
I just built a K900 on the Kia website. MSRP was just under $67,000. MSRP on my F10 was $72,000. I thought these Kias were a lot less expensive than they are.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:37 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInDenver View Post
I just built a K900 on the Kia website. MSRP was just under $67,000. MSRP on my F10 was $72,000. I thought these Kias were a lot less expensive than they are.
The K900 and Equus are full size cars like the 7 Series. If the K900 does as poorly as the Equus, it will be able to be had for $20k off the list price, so <$50K fir a Korean S Class.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
it will be able to be had for $20k off the list price.
just about as much as a 7series.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:15 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Yes, Lindsay (video above) provides a complete level of detailed knowledge from an obviously discerning car expert, that will satisfy the information needs of many, especially, more youthful drivers. So go ahead, buy the Genesis by all means. Pay no attention to the actual driving characteristics that have made other car makers famous, look only for the "fluff" of standard tech features and some nice leather seats. That works.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 12-06-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
2015 Hyundai Genesis (or Kia K900)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcraig5812 View Post
What if the "blatant and shameless imitation" is comparable to that which it is imitating? There is certainly a significant and growing market out there for buyers who appreciate the economic value of a quality product offered at lower cost and are not at all interested in the "aspirational and authenticity value" that's sole purpose is to impress. For those of us who can afford either, I'll take the product that offers the best economic value. But there will also always be a market for those who buy name brand rather than generic drugs because of the "aspirational and authenticity value".

It's comparable on paper only though. The quality is as "knockoff" as the design. The Genesis interior feels like an upmarket Accord with wannabe German style bits.

If Hyundai weren't concerned with gaining the aspirational demographic then their cars wouldn't look so derivative. Offering a great value for a good fundamental product is great, however the fact that they choose to be so derivative about it, so shamelessly to me means that while you do get a great fundamental product for the price, you're now spending that money on a product that lacks "class".
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 12-07-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
2015 Hyundai Genesis (or Kia K900)

Put it this way: If I was looking for a car that offered big ticket features of premium cars at a lower cost, more for less, didn't care about the finer details, substantive interior feel or perfected design attributes, therefore didn't need it to tickle an emotive fancy (read: soulless), then the Genesis or something like it would be my top choice. The ultimate utilitarian appliance with luxury creature comforts. Good HP, maybe solid performance, but won't provide near the driving experience. Fine.

However, if it looks too imitative then I feel like I'll always be reminded that it's the "imitation of the real thing". I'd actually find it offensive to my sensibilities. Why can't they just design that great value with its own distinct look? It alienates me from the product because I find it totally cheeseball. So 8 years ago their fronts looked like Mercedes wannabe, now Audi, with BMW copies everywhere namely in the K900 which looks like a BMW imitation. I just can't respect that. I don't want people to say "wow that looks like an Audi", I'd want the real thing in that case.

There's simply no design continuity.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 12-07-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535 xdrive
I guess it boils down to just what 15 or 20K is to you , and if you want a cheap copy or the original ?

If you can take down 12 - 15K a month then it's no big deal , go with the original - BMW ! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1417997359.523550.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	480089
Old 12-15-2014, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to r25558
Mein Auto: 05 Z4 3.0i
Double Post*

Last edited by r25558; 12-16-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to r25558
Mein Auto: 05 Z4 3.0i
I was in Austin, TX last weekend for business and saw the new 2015 Genesis being valet parked.

Not recognizing it, I stepped outside of the restaurant I was eating at just to see what sort of car it was.

I was SHOCKED when I saw it was a Hyundai. We recently sold my wife's 2012 Kia Sportage SX AWD, which was a great car for the money as an around town commuter. She put 50,000 miles on it in three years and never had one single issue. We bought it for $26,500 and traded it into the Kia dealership this past fall for $18,500....(I was thrilled. The AWD Turbo SX holds it's value very well.)

With that said, she currently has a 2011 BMW 550i and I've spent extensive time in it.

We're not brand loyal and I'm not a juice drinker. We currently own numerous exotics/sports cars and I simply like a great automobile. (We have two R35 Nissan GTR's as our his/hers matching track toys.)

Having just sold my Lamborghini Gallardo, swapping it for a Porsche 911 Turbo, we're probably not the typical Kia/Hyundai buyer.

Sorry for the back story, but I wanted to set the impression that I come from a long lineage of owning various brands and the name alone isn't enough to get my hard earned cash.

With that said, I went to Hyundai today to drive the Genesis. It's been on my mind since last week and I wanted to see whether it drove as good as it looks.

I could not get over how impressive the car is. Truly game changing, as Hyundia/Kia continues to improve their product in rapid pace.

The reviews online praise the 5.0L V8, but I personally wasn't impressed. For me, the power wasn't noticeable when merging in traffic. It was almost as if Hyundai dialed back the ECU tune, being the car is currently RWD only in the 5.0 engine variants, and they wanted to keep the driver squarely on the road. I also hated the lane assist feature, which I personally felt took away from the driving experience. It works great, but was super sensitive and wanted to take over numerous times....causing me to battle for the steering wheel.

Once the car was in 3rd gear, I was able to punch it and the car definitely had plenty of pickup for passing down the highway. But from a stop, or 2nd gear pull.....it seemed like the ECU wasn't allowing the car to harness full engine power.

HOWEVER, the 3.8L V6 gets my praises. It was SILENT, Lexus like, driving down the highway. Power was plenty ample for a daily driver and I had zero issue merging onto the interstate, passing on the interstate, etc.

Being that the price difference is over $10K simply to get the larger engine, I'd be hard pressed to cough up the extra cash.

The 3.8L V6 was silky smooth and again, MORE than adequate for 99% of drivers on the road needing a fuel efficient highway cruiser.

After a little hagging, I was able to get them down to $35,248 for a base V6 variant.

For that money, with the 10 Year/ 100K warranty it's an absolute no-brainer value proposition.

I was pretty dead set on getting a matching 5 series, most likely 2011+ 535i to replace my Mercedes E-Class, but the decision just got a little harder.

Going to sit on this for another week and decide which direction to head. My impulsive side said "Buy, Buy, Buy!" Ha!

I like the tech/audio package on the new Genesis which may seal the day for me. (Considering the car is a 2015, the technology aspect is the greatest and latest.)

I'd finance, but being a small business owner, I prefer to pay cash and leave my financing to the bigger business purchases. For this reason I'm cross shopping 2011-2012 535i's and I'm struggling to justify it vs Hyundai's new bag of tricks with full warranty.

At $35K, I don't know there's anything else that can compete with the spacious interior and amenities it offers.

Last edited by r25558; 12-15-2014 at 09:00 PM.