BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

maintenance agreement and warranty expiring soon

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  spokelizard 
#1 ·
Hi, I know there have been numerous threads about this, but I've got a few personalized questions about this, so I'm starting a new thread.

My 4 year initial warranty period expires in little more than 2 months. I currently have 40K miles, probably will have 42K at the expiration of the warranty period. The onboard computer shows next oil service due in 9,500 miles, so that will be 49,500. I estimate that Service II will pop up at about 65,000 miles. I'm currently driving about 10-11K miles a year.

So 2 questions:

1. What should I do before the 4 year period expires? I was planning to request a brake fluid change. Also a brake inspection, but I really don't expect any brake maintenance to be due.

My leatherette seats have no cracking, so I can't see anything to replace there.

My steering wheel has a little peeling, but it doesn't bother me that much, and frankly I'd rather just keep the original wheel than have them pull it and put another one on, seems like too much risk of something going wrong for a minor problem.

Anything else to request/demand before the end of the 4 year period?

2. After the 4 year period expires, I still have the 2 year CPO warranty. Should I buy the extended maintenance? I haven't priced it yet, but for argument's sake let's assume I can buy it at a discounted cost of $1,500. I'm unlikely to get to Service II in the next 2 years, so as far as I can see that $1,500 will buy me one oil change and maybe another brake fluid change, and may buy me a brake job. I'm estimating the brake job at an indie shop will be about $1,300. So if I need the brake job before the end of 2 years, it's more or less a wash. If I don't need the brake job, I've really lost.

Am I missing any other maintenance items that would be included under the contract? Am I missing anything else in my analysis? What's typical mileage for brake jobs? (I have an MT, which I think results in less brake wear.)

See less See more
#4 ·
My thoughts

1- Based upon your mileage and the fact that you aren't getting your money's worth out of the original warranty so to speak, I don't think the extended warranty would be a good deal for you. On the other had the fact that you know you will need a brake job and an Inspection II within 2 years could change my thinking. You have to run the numbers.

2- Get steering wheel fixed. It won't do anything but get worse and when you go to sell this could be an issue

3- Coolant flushes and brake fluid flushes used to be time based, check what it says in the manual, not the warranty book. If they are still time based request (push) to have both done.

4- Find out if there any software upgrades available (from a source other than dealer). If so complain about that particular issue so that a ECU flash is warranted. Some dealers won't due this just because one is available unless there is a specific issue.

5- Put it up on a rack and have it thoroughly inspected. Look for oil leaks, seepage, torn boots, worn tie rods etc.

6- Get any and all rattles and noises fixed.

7- Operate sunroof throughout the whole range of movement several times to verify all is working correctly.

#6 ·
1- Based upon your mileage and the fact that you aren't getting your money's worth out of the original warranty so to speak, I don't think the extended warranty would be a good deal for you. On the other had the fact that you know you will need a brake job and an Inspection II within 2 years could change my thinking. You have to run the numbers.
Agreed

2- Get steering wheel fixed. It won't do anything but get worse and when you go to sell this could be an issue
No plans to sell, peeling is minor, I think I'll live with it.

3- Coolant flushes and brake fluid flushes used to be time based, check what it says in the manual, not the warranty book. If they are still time based request (push) to have both done.
Brake fluid is every 2 years, that's why I was going to get that done. I think coolant is supposedly lifetime now.

4- Find out if there any software upgrades available (from a source other than dealer). If so complain about that particular issue so that a ECU flash is warranted. Some dealers won't due this just because one is available unless there is a specific issue.
Good idea, thanks!

5- Put it up on a rack and have it thoroughly inspected. Look for oil leaks, seepage, torn boots, worn tie rods etc.
Another good idea. Maybe I'll take it to an indie dealer first for this inspection.

6- Get any and all rattles and noises fixed.
None! (Knock on wood!)

7- Operate sunroof throughout the whole range of movement several times to verify all is working correctly.
No problems, and recently had it lubed

Good, thoughtful suggestions! Thanks for your help!

#10 ·
This is a timely post for me as well; my warranty/free maintenance plan will be expiring in July, and I was pondering the sorts of things I should be getting in "under the wire."

On the topic of fluid changes: what about the differential, transfer case, power steering, and transmission fluids...? Should these be flushed/changed as well? Can't seem to locate any information on the service intervals for these in the Owner's Manual.

#13 ·
On the topic of fluid changes: what about the differential, transfer case, power steering, and transmission fluids...? Should these be flushed/changed as well? Can't seem to locate any information on the service intervals for these in the Owner's Manual.
I set up a personal schedule for myself for fluid changes, based on my intent to keep the car a loooong time.

So I plan to change those fluids every 30K miles. So far I've changed them all except the power steering, which I expect to do at the next service at 44K miles. The transmission fluid I changed was MT, don't know what's appropriate for AT.

Since I'm still under the maintenance agreement, these were all unscheduled changes paid for out of pocket at an indie mech. One well-respected indie didn't want to do the work. Said the dealer would see the wrench marks and use them to invalidate my warranty if I needed any warranty work on the driveline.

#7 ·
Spoke, had the same problem with my '06 recently. It ran out of mileage and now is uncovered. I took the gamble that the extended warranty and maintentance program would be more expensive than just fixing things. I took the $3500 and put it in a "sinking fund" to pay for any repairs/maintentance before I sell the car. So far, I have paid for a front brake job, new coolant (my choice) brake fluid flush, Inspection II. IF I keep it to 75K then I will do the other fluids. Right now, it is going back to the shop for the second time in a month for a SES light.:mad: Last time it was a valve in the fuel return line to the tank. I felt that should have been covered under the extended emissions warranty in CA, it was not. So I am having second thoughts now about (1) not getting the extended stuff and (2) keeping the car much longer. Up until now the thing has been bulletproof with just one minor problem (seat heater). With gas here running over $4.00 a gallon for premium and the possibility of it going even higher the high mileage of a Jetta TDI or a Fusion hybrid are looking better and better to me.:angel:

#9 · (Edited)
Spoke, the rear brakes were done (pad slap only) at 49K miles under warranty. The front brakes lasted until 61K when they were done along with the Inspection II and the other stuff. They never did trigger the warning light but were so close and I was going on a long trip I felt it was better to get them done then rather than 5K or so miles down the road (pun intended). I was impressed with the brakes in that they worked so well and lasted so long.:thumbup: In my wife's A4 I have replaced two complete sets (pads and rotors) in 52K miles. :angel:

#11 ·
Tim these are "lifetime" fluids according to BMW! I don't believe anything is a "lifetime" fluid, but I guess if your car is only designed to last 100K miles then you could say it was a "lifetime". Sorry, got carried away. Anyway, I replaced my coolant and if I keep the car will replace the other fluids around 75K miles when it goes in for its next oil service. I have nor decided about the transmission fluid yet, but probably will drain, change filter, and refill without "pressure flushing". Call me old fashioned but I think that the power flushing just picks up all the crud that is quietly sitting there and throws it back into the mix. I am probably wrong, but maybe not.:thumbup:

#12 ·
Tim these are "lifetime" fluids according to BMW! I don't believe anything is a "lifetime" fluid, but I guess if your car is only designed to last 100K miles then you could say it was a "lifetime"...
Yeah, I'm skeptical about that "lifetime" claim too... Maybe BMW means the fluid will last the lifetime of the fluid...? :rolleyes:

... Anyway, I replaced my coolant and if I keep the car will replace the other fluids around 75K miles when it goes in for its next oil service. I have nor decided about the transmission fluid yet, but probably will drain, change filter, and refill without "pressure flushing". Call me old fashioned but I think that the power flushing just picks up all the crud that is quietly sitting there and throws it back into the mix. I am probably wrong, but maybe not.:thumbup:
OK, thanks "UncleJ!" Well, I'm not anywhere near that mileage mark yet, so perhaps I can hold off? At a minimum I will ask that the coolant and brake fluids be flushed/changed; it would obviously be preferable to get BMW to change these other fluids on their dime, but that's probably easier said than done, from what I gather...

Yeah, I've heard mixed opinions about power flushing. In the case of the cooling system, I've had it done one a couple of vehicles, seemingly without any ill effects...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.