BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Corona Rings as DRLs on 2007 X3?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  e030905 
#1 ·
My '07 X3 has adaptive zenon headlights with corona rings. I understand the BMW dealership can enable the corona rings to function as daytime running lights. However, there is confusion over whether only the corona rings illuminate, or if the corona rings and the passing lamps illuminate in DRL mode. If anyone has an '07 with their DRLs activated, which bulbs are illuminated? Also, what should I expect to pay for activation of this feature? Thanks

#2 ·
Sorry, can't be done. If you want the corona rings along with the side markers, then you turn the headlamp to the parking lamps position.

For US-spec and Canadian vehicles, the DRL is the inner halogen high-beam at reduced output.

For international-spec vehicles, the DRL is the normal low beam.

#4 · (Edited)
Corona Rings as DRL's

I hooked up the Corona Rings to illuminate with the ignition on.So far so good,no warnings,
no smoke or burning smell,park lamps still function as normal.
When it started to get dark and the autolamps kicked in,the effect diminished as the orange side lamps came on.
But it looks cool in the daylight.:)

#7 ·
With a test light find a wire that has power with the ignition switch in position 2. Splice into that wire and the + wires going to the Corona Ring bulbs and connect them all together.
The Corona Rings will come on as DRL's and still work as park lamps from the light switch.I would give you more detailed instructions but it looks like you have a 2006 325 and
I did it on my 2009 X3.I dont know if the layout is the same.

#8 ·
I'd be careful of splicing and dicing stuff to do functions they weren't designed to do. I shorted out my remote antenna that way when trying to wire "welcome lights" with the interior lighting. It worked fine for a couple days then something went wrong, and now I have two keys that no longer have remote functions. The electronics module will store error codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.