BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

CHOICE BETWEEN 2010 or '11 535I SPORT?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  dark rider 
#1 ·
if money were not an object , but only a decision between the two from a mechanical/performance/engines/options (and anything else i've not thought of) i'd so appreciate opinions/imput between the two cars. ( I know i'd want the 'premium package + sports package')
I am aware the 2011 is somewhat 'larger'/heavier and if i'm correct the turbo is no longer a 'twin' turbo for the 2011. But what would i lose/gain between each? (forget that the '10 would be a 'year older' LOL).
I'm just thinking that 'newer' isn't always 'better' from a technological point of view. I.E...'' if it ain't broke, don't fix it' ..type of thinking. I hope i haven't totally confused you all and hopefully my question(s) are making sense. I also realize no one could guarantee or tell me which i would ultimately like....i'm trying to approach this from a clinical & practical, safe point of view. Many thanks in advance .... Edythe

#2 ·
the 2011 is a luxury cruiser. More refined interior, larger car.
The 2010 is more nimble and sporty.

Drive both and decide whatyour preference is.

#3 · (Edited)
----------------------------------------
Hi - we had a 2000 740iL (non sports) DH loved that car -had an issue of non-reliability in starting; tried leaving the car with several independent BMW authorized shops + the dealer's shop nothing could be diagnosed because it never ''failed' for anyone but DH and unless 'that' could happen there was no way to know the reason! batteries/starters all changed -they weren't the problem; he didn't want to get stuck someplace while travelling so we traded it for our current car - 2010 DTS 'performance' level..nice cushy ride but we don't like the FWD. Enough said, i'm sure ! LOL ...now we're rethinking a BMW.
We will try both of course but if we take a '10 (sports pkg & ''premium' package) would we be losing out on new & more 'advanced, BETTER technology that would be with the 2011?
Also while you describe the '11 as a 'luxury cruiser' i can't imagine it's as 'floaty' as a Cadillac DTS...do you concur? And when you say 'luxury cruiser' does that apply if it has the 'sports package' also? Again, many thanks !!! PS: with the DTS one does 'not' feel the road !!

#4 ·
It's nearly impossible to know how people judge a driving experience. Floaty to some is comfortable to others.
I have not driven the 2011 535 with sport package (stiffer suspension.) The regular 535 felt like a Buick to me, but it might be perfect for others.

Most people buy the regular version, and up north the XI with all wheel drive. Only around 10% are Sport or M-sport whatever they call it.
I replaced my sport suspension for an even firmer one, so that says something about my preferences.

To me the biggest differentiator is the hard disc based iDrive in the 2011. Larger HD panorama screen, much faster, stores music. The interior is also more refined, and it is even quiter than the 2010 if that is possible.

When you test drive these cars, look at the tires to see if they are run flat. (For some unfathomable masochistic reason BMW insists on installing these on their sedans, even though there is a spare in the trunk.) They make the car run very stiff and jarring and you should not judge the suspension and overall ride quality by them.

PS, the Caddy DTS is not a fair comparison. Try a CTS, that's more on par with the 5 series.

#5 ·
-------------------------------------
i am not trying to compare a DTS ride to a BMW - in my dreams ! LOL...the 'ride' of our DTS isn't even being 'considered' as a comparison - trust me ! LOL ...you don't feel anything of the road ...it's a 'Barka-lounger' with wheels...it's not a 'driver's car ...they do have a version with 'magna-ride' (stiffer suspension) but never tried it but even with 'that' feature i'm sure it can't compare with the ride of 'any' BMW. Funny you mention the CTS - we bought one before this DTS - it was nice and 'zippy, great handling ... would have kept it except the seats were ironing boards with leather-covering...no upper back support; seats too narrow; too 'short' ; sitting area jutted 'up' so you were sitting on a leather-covered 'cement'mushroom'... many do not like the car due to the seats but then some do ...it's all 'personal' i guess ....some 'reviews' also had the same problem we had so we traded it for our current DTS.
Will find out about the 'run-flats' but 'if' they are on the car i doubt the dealer would change them out;
interesting about the '11 feeling like a Buick ...i'm sure you're right !! that's what i was afraid of !!
Don't need the 'refinements' of the 'cabin/electronics' you described above and if that's all the 'big change' from '10 to '11 (plus a little more 'room' due to being a 'larger' car) then it sounds as if we could enjoy a '10 for the savings of the money ...i did state money wasn't an issue but if we're paying for non-mechanical improvements then why do it? LOL
thanks again for all your input !!

#6 ·
If you are buying the car, just put whatever tires on it you like. That's what I did immediately after bringing my sedan back from Orlando last April. Tire Rack is your friend.
I believe the 2010 E60 has the updated iDrive, so you might get it either way. It's very nice!

Your description of the DTS earns my respect. I got stuck in one once as there were no other options at the rental location. What a boat! Never again.
The CTS-V is a pretty serious car, one of the best domestic efforts ever. Bob Lutz did a lot of things right with that car, but still it is no BMW.

#8 ·
-----------------------------------------------------
whoever designed the CTS seats probably didn't drive the car ! there is nothing supportive or enjoyable about them ....there is no 'extender' offered in the seating area - it was so 'short' that one's knees dangled in mid-air and i'm only 5'2'' !!
insofar as width on the seating area? there wasn't any ...the driver could hang-on to the steering wheel when making turns to avoid being 'thrown' out of the seat but the poor passenger had nothing to grab !!
the back had no upper area support - nothing to 'lean' against...the was no 'curveature' to that portion - just 'straight' !!! no 'articulation' to speak of plus they were bone-hard.
and of course it's no BMW ! what is ?!! LOL thanks again for your input

#7 ·
The last couple of times I had my E60 in for service, I drove an F10 535. After each time, I said to myself that I prefer my E60, but only slightly. My E60 felt just that bit more responsive on the road, just that bit more connected. But I liked the F10 too, very much. Except the seats. I have the comfort seats in my car, and they are way, way better than the standard seats. It is not really all that apparent when you first drive with them on, since it takes quite a bit of fiddling until you get them exactly right. But, when you do, you can go hours and hours and never feel it.

#11 ·
The 2010 e60 has the same HDD (hard drive) based idrive, as well as the updated controller. Also, not many posts on here about HPFP issues with 2010's. I have driven the 2011 e60, & I feel there is a difference. The steering was most different for me. Electronic steeing assist. I feel more " connected" in my e60. Perfect feedback from the wheel. There are a lot of attractive things to the 2011, but I like the 2010. Best of both worlds to me.:thumbup:

#12 ·
Well, I went through three HPFP with my 2010 but still love the car -- nice compromise between sport and luxury. I considered waiting for the F10 but I'm glad I didn't.

#14 ·
+1. My AWD 535 wagon is incredible on wet roads or in snow. I am amazed at how sure footed and balanced it is, especially with all that extra space in the rear. It has better traction than most sedans, seriously.
My 535 sedan is RWD Sport, but I upgraded to H&R springs which lower the car a bit and firm it up. I think it is perfect now, but in bad weather conditions I would be careful about pushing it. The XI is the foul weather champ for sure. On a stormy night I would have no worries in the wagon at any speed.

#16 ·
I just went through this buying decision myself, and ended up buying a '10 E60 535i last week! The '11 F10 535i was a nice car, but Oceans10 nailed it in defining the character differences between the two! The E60 just feels smaller, faster, and more nimble overall! It is a little less refined, but not $10K - $12K less, which is pretty much what I was seeing in price difference. I have an obvious sporting bias, but personally I would have sooner put that money toward an M5 E60! My E60 is Space Gray with Black Leather and Burl Trim; Sport, Premium, Comfort Access, Nav, Logic 7 and Heated Seats. It is a CPO (22K miles; 12/09 in service date) lease return that remainined at the same dealership its entire life. Dealer pulled service records and the HPFP issues were sorted at 9K miles with no issues since. I know a lot prefer the looks of the F10, but I think the E60 is gorgeous! I love the aggressive/futuristic front end on the E60's. It looks like an angry alien! The F10 looks more like the 3's to me, so I really like the tail section, but I don't really love the steep flat front grill.

Both are very refined daily drivers, but I can't see getting as much fun out of the F10 on weekends. I'm also a motorcycle guy, and my primary bike is an '07 BMW K1200R Sport, which lays down 143rwhp/95ft. lbs torque in a sub-500lb (wet) package. That said, I usually walk away wanting more in the performance department. However, I found the E60 to be the perfect mix of engine/handling/braking. Test drive them back to back, and I think your preferences will immediately become clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.