BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brake Pads

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  roverT 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
#3 ·
Pagid if you want OEM stopping power, and Akebono if you want less and lighter colored dust, with less initial bite. I like the OEM pads because of the feel. Washing wheels twice a week during the summer is the only downside. Remember, sometimes accidents are avoided by inches, and with OEM pads I can lock em up at 60 with no problem. If you track the car, ceramic might be the better option.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/category_s/1910.htm

#6 ·
I like OEM stopping power too...so I put on TEXSTAR pads-since that was the OEM pads I took off with Zimmerman rotors and I feel I lost stopping power on my 330ci. Only have about 80 miles on them but I am a little dissappointed so far- maybe the Texstar state side compound is not the same? or is it the Zimmerman rotors? not sure and have not had them long enough to see if they make OEM brake dust and if braking improves.

I put EBC pads with Brembo rotors on my wifes 323i and felt no difference from OEM stopping power.

Not sure yet, but hoping I did not make a mistake with what I thought were OEM Texstar pads with better than OEM rotors?

#4 ·
Have exactly what you have and got 'em from Turner.
Love them for 50K miles so far.
Stop from cold like you were committing murder.
Leave wheels much cleaner than BMW pads.

Here's the review I wrote about them five years ago when I installed them:

Axxis MM brake pads
Recently the question of these pads and cold stops came up and so I decided when I was out testing my Koni's that my pads had been completely broken in, enough to not have to baby them any longer.
A few times at about sixty mph, I gave the brakes just short of full panic stop pressure. I had never used them that severely before, and was astounded what g force this car is capable of with the large rotors, large soft tire patch, and quality pads. The first stop was completely cold and solidly as safe as you would ever need. I'm used to considering my e46 as a thing of beauty, but this stopping power is brutal.

#5 ·
I have them as well, although I disagree with GoForthFast regarding the cold stopping torque. I find there's a second to two before there's enough heat generated to get them to START to bite hard - this is the case with all semi metallic pads as well as with full on ceramic. You're trading the initial bite of the organic OEM pads for less brake dust and more fade resistance under repeated hard breaking maneuvers. It'll be enough to get you to pucker up during an emergency stop first thing in the morning.

#7 ·
Also a big fan of Pagid (OEM type) pads, they bite like Godzilla whether cold, hot, or whatever, giving me total confidence in them, which overrides their only downside, which is that they dust more than average.

#14 ·
Good to know....where did you purchase them, and what was the cost ?

#15 ·
I think the discs run at about 60 each. You can get them for cheaper at RockAuto.com, but their shipping costs are high, so it works out to be the same. The pads are about 40 bucks. The best thing to do is to combine other auto parts you need and order from rockauto. Else you can search on amazon.com. If you need the part numbers, let me know. I can look them up for you

#16 ·
That`s a very competitive price. Do you know if those rotors come with an anti-corrosive coating ? Rusty rotor hats are nasty-looking....while it *is* possible to spray them with VHT paint, it`s a lot easier to just mount some coated ones.

#17 · (Edited)
So I ended up with these.

Axxis Deluxe Advanced Ceramic Brake Pads

So now more questions. Where are the brake sensors? is it only 1 front and 1 back? do I really need them?

Story: the reason I started looking into the brakes is because a few days ago, I stopped at the stop like, and suddenly see the /!\ and (O) warning lights, once. I turned off the engine, then turn it back on, they went away. Plus my baby is @ 40k miles, figure it might be time. Am I wrong? preventive, or wait till the light actually light up then install?

#18 ·
Yes, there are 2 sensors (1 front, 1 rear), and they only need replacing if they have been tripped.

Look in the owner`s manual to see what all the various dashboard icons mean.

#24 ·

I've loved these so far. I've used them for a year now and they stop great in the cold and they go further when pushed to the limit vs OEM. I can get my rotors glowing red hot (literally) when the sun is down and the car still stops without any feelings of fade. Braking does sound louder when the rotors are that hot though but OEM could never accept that high heat abuse. I guess it's not an issue if you don't track. One thing you will miss is that initial snot launching bite at the start. If you really need to stop like that, then hit the brakes hard and go into ABS immediately. Being a driver who likes a linear feel, OEM pads are really too grabby at the start so it makes it harder to modulate smoothness. It's like reverse turbo lag for braking! LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.