BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

750i transmission slips and slams

161K views 272 replies 128 participants last post by  JawDXXD 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced their 750i transmission slipping after lightly decelerating then applying the accelerator. Mine will slip momentarily and then violently slam back into gear. Twice I have started to pull over being certain I was just rear ended.

My dealer, South Bay BMW in Southern California, says there isn't a fix for this problem!

Does anyone else find this at all outrageous. I would love to know if anyone has a name or a contact at BMW North America with whom I can discuss this situation as my local dealer is worthless.

Frustrated with an Ultimate Driving Machine.

#243 ·
The $ 12,000 was to replace the Mechronic's (Valve Body) but the adapter should have been between $200-$300.00 tops. These BMW's can be fixed by most decent mechanics that have a scan tool. I would look around for another mechanic. All they had to do is get in between the transmission and mechtronic's to replace the adapter which is less than an hour.

#247 ·
Very simple fix

You just need some fluid,when the fluid gets low the car will do this it happened to me i thought i needed a tranny---took to my indy he replaced transmission filter added fluid no problems.....out of the 100 plus modules/snesors in this car there is one that the car doesnt have is a low transmission fluid sensor..because it supposed to be lifetime fluid but there is no such thing....2006 750li michigan blue metallic

#248 ·
Set 1 is to add more fluid or if you can do a tranny oil change with a new pan and filter.
If your not that lucky, step 2 is to replace the bridge seal adapter which fixes a lot of issues or the mechtronic sleeve. If you have the money, a new mechtroic or valve body will fix usually fix most tranny problems.:thumbup:

#249 ·
I have a similar issue, as I take off, when the car hits the 4th gear, it jerks as if someone rear-ended me and the transmission fault, drive moderately error comes on. I have replaced the guibo, the mechantronic adapter seal, the sealing sleeve, replaced the tranny fluid ( 6 quartz of m 1375.4 automatic transmission fluid from bmw) and I reset adaptations with inpa.

I scanned the car got these codes which I have narrowed down to this:

4F85 - Ratio monitoring clutch e
4F89 - Ratio monitoring gear shift 3-4
17E8 - ??? I dont know what this one is

Am I correct on these codes?

I have driven the car in manual mode changing gears every 2k rpm but when I get to M4 the car jerks and the transmission fault drive moderately error comes up. Even if I try to skip over quick to # 5 it still jerks

I have read about solenoids from mechantronic DIY's here from Wilson and other members but I can't narrow it down to which solenoid(s) or is there anything else I should be looking at.. HELP

#250 ·
I have a similar issue, as I take off, when the car hits the 4th gear, it jerks as if someone rear-ended me and the transmission fault, drive moderately error comes on. I have replaced the guibo, the mechantronic adapter seal, the sealing sleeve, replaced the tranny fluid ( 6 quartz of m 1375.4 automatic transmission fluid from bmw) and I reset adaptations with inpa.

I scanned the car got these codes which I have narrowed down to this:

4F85 - Ratio monitoring clutch e
4F89 - Ratio monitoring gear shift 3-4
17E8 - ??? I dont know what this one is

Am I correct on these codes?

I have driven the car in manual mode changing gears every 2k rpm but when I get to M4 the car jerks and the transmission fault drive moderately error comes up. Even if I try to skip over quick to # 5 it still jerks

I have read about solenoids from mechantronic DIY's here from Wilson and other members but I can't narrow it down to which solenoid(s) or is there anything else I should be looking at.. HELP
The transmission takes more then 6 quarts , you are probably to low on fluid ...

#252 ·
PAPER, I added a quart and a half of trainny fluid, Ive noticed a slight improvement in shifting. The car now maintains the 4th gear and a few more seconds longer that it did before the transmission fault error kicks in.

Is this the time I have to wait thats discussed here for the transmission to adjust itself or should I be looking at something else. The same codes are still popping up.

FRATAN, Im not sure if the 06 e66 comes with a bridge seal adapter, I called a few bmw locations in my area and the only thing they could see was the mechatronic adapter seal and the sealing sleeve. If you have a part number, I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Thx for all your responses guys, were would we be without this platform...

#253 · (Edited)
Fixed!!!

I had the same issue with my 2006 750i. I read this thread and started with the guibo. The guibo was damaged because of slamming. Changed it but it was still slipping tho. So I took it back to the shop for changing the transmission oil, pan and software. It got better but It was still slamming. I finally took it in today to change the bridge seal adapter and BINGO! it's fixed!!!!! the old seal was cracked! the shop changed the seal, showed me my old one and did a reset on the adaptations. The car never shifted so good!!! I tried to replicate the issue about 30 times and the car did not slip at all!!!! I fell in love with the car again. Thanks for everyone in this forum! great info. :):thumbup:

And by the way.... If you live in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area go to DFW Bimmer. Best shop for BMWs in the area. It's a small shop but the prices are awesome and It's owned by a tech who got tired of seeing people getting ripped off by big BMW dealers.
Here is the link for the shop:
http://www.bimmershops.com/texas/dfw-bimmer-euless-tx

#254 ·
Hiccup from 3-4 gear

Hello everyone i too have the same problem with my 07 740i when i start it in the morning shifts are very rough as it warms up gets better but when i let the car coast it feels like its being pulled and relased and the tranny surges,acceleration is poor with a/c on and the car feels sluggish.... I did a tranny flush new guibo and a filter/pan
ANY HELP PLEASE !!!!

#256 ·
I would replace the bridge seal adapter which sits between the tranny and mechtronics. Sounds like the seal is cracked. How many miles? Around 100,000?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Many thanks for replying... Its currently sitting at 60000 miles, I'm not positive about the seal going bad at these many miles,ive plugged it with a computer many times it shows no error codes and the service manger drove it a week ago he said all is well but i clearly feel the jerking motion of the car when i let my foot of the gas at around 20-40 mph... Thanks again for the reply.

#259 ·
Is this resolved?

Has this issue been resolved? I have a 2006 750Li with the same problem.....slams into gear when letting off the gas or stepping on the gas. Also, slams into gear from 2nd to 1st.

I read that the flexible u-joint (guibdo) needs to be replaced at a 100k and causes these symptoms.....?

Thanks

#261 ·
I would change the mechatronic sealing sleeve an mechatronic adapter. Then I would replace the guibo. Last thing is do a transmission fluid/filter change. Those 4 parts will more than likely make your vehicle shift a lot better. I wouldn't just replace one. Best of luck.

#262 · (Edited)
750i BMW Transmission Slams At Lower Speed

My 2006 750i with 100,000 + miles has been jolting or slamming into gear when slowing down to just about a stop and accelerating. Sometimes it actually slams so hard it feels like I was rear ended!

After numerous trips to my BMW dealer, and with no faults constantly showing up I was told it was not covered under warranty. Well the transmission acted up again recently so I took it in one more time because my warranty is getting close to expiring. This time the technician identified some type of pressure variations within the clutching system that was way out of wack.

Luckily the warranty company has agreed to fix the problem!!!!!! Yeah!!!

My advice to the unlucky 750i owners who are experiencing this problem: first keep your head against the headrest if you think you area about to get jolted - seriously, if you have been there you will agree.

Second, have the dealer check the pressure settings within the transmission; not sure how this it done.

If this is happening to you I completely understand your frustration. Remember, you must never give up, you must never surrender (what movie was that from?).

#264 ·
My 2006 750 I have 150,000 miles. At 100,000 the spark plugs, transmission fluid, mechtronic seal adapter, which causes the pressure loss, should be fixed. I would also recommend replacing the quibo joint soon as this will make a clunking noise when stopping. I'm determined to hit 200,000 plus. My repairs average about 1000. -1500 a year but well worth the drive.

#265 ·
Any SF Bay area recommendations to get the seals changed? I have the slip when gunning or reversing too fast. All gears work, I just can't gas it too aggressively. Please let me know or PM me. I've been driving it this way for a while now and want to get it fixed now. Thanks

#267 ·
Hello guys I'm having the same issue with my 2007 750li. Bought it because it looks great but my shifter when I press the button goes into park at times and sometimes it won't. Itl go into reverse and drive though. Then there is the tranny with a slam when I stop at times any suggestions on what this is.. took it to bmw and you know they don't fix they want to put a new tranny in for 10000 i told them about recalls on the 07 but they ignored and charged me the 180 bucks for service.

#269 ·
I had a problem with my 750li 2007 with the tranny slipping and shifting hard took it to a place in warner robins Georgia called imports only and they hooked me up with a new pan because it was leaking and transmission fluid filter and looked into the codes and discovered some other stuff that was to be fixed really reasonable and great work too. Its back in there now for the throttle body to be replaced but I like these guys.

#271 ·
Has anyone else experienced their 750i transmission slipping after lightly decelerating then applying the accelerator. Mine will slip momentarily and then violently slam back into gear. Twice I have started to pull over being certain I was just rear ended.

My dealer, South Bay BMW in Southern California, says there isn't a fix for this problem!

Does anyone else find this at all outrageous. I would love to know if anyone has a name or a contact at BMW North America with whom I can discuss this situation as my local dealer is worthless.

Frustrated with an Ultimate Driving Machine.
Had shifting problem with a preowned 2008,750IL purchased from Open Road BMW in Morristown, NJ. Trans. was slipping from 1st into 2nd. I was told nothing was wrong. While in Florida that year ,I asked Palm Beach BMW to drive the car. A new trans. was ordered and replaced , no charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.