BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

This is what happens when you let the wife drive your car..

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  chet31 
#1 ·
Hello all! My wife drove my 2000 323ci e46 for a few days while her car was in the shop, Now, When I move the shifter to the "M/S" mode the shifter pops back into "D". On the screen I can see "S D" and I can move up and down the gears manually but the second I take my hand off the shifter it goes right back into "D".

Any ideas? I searched the site and did a google search but I couldn't find anything :dunno:.

I removed the boot/shifter and everything seems to be plugged in and nothing is loose.
The car drives fine, reverse works just fine, so.. I'm at a loss here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
This may help you. Have you thoroughly checked for something dropped in there? It seems that coins ect. can find their way in there from the holder above. I suggest trying a strong vacuum with the crevice tool, as it may be something you can't see jammed in there. Move shifter while vacuuming. Here is what I found on the detents.

http://blog.bavauto.com/13271/bmw-automatic-shifter-moves-freely-no-detents/

#3 ·
Thanks, I'll try looking again when I leave work, I checked but it wasn't thorough, I just kinda looked for loose cables and poked around a bit. I'm just hoping it isn't something serious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.