BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tesla sales beating BMW, Merc and Audi

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Keepittrill 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Very interesting... and cool, but I'm taking the news with a grain of salt.

The Model S is more akin to an E Class/5 Series/A6. Yet costs a bit more. And those other cars seem to have a lot more in options included. I think Tesla is benefiting from the initial surge of early adopters. However, this is great news for what is essentially a brand new car company. There is hope of them being able to survive long enough to develop cars that are less expensive and better equipped.

Now don't get me wrong. I'd order a Model S this very instant if I had $80K to spend. But I must endure the long wait for their 3rd teased model, the Model C which is supposed to be a 3 Series/A4 classed car. Both in price and specs. Now, if that were available now, I WOULD be ordering one!

#3 ·
Talking about a misleading headline. BMW sold 130,598 vehicles in April alone worldwide. That's equivalent to almost 400,000 cars for a quarter, which is about 80x what Tesla is selling. I like the Tesla, and would buy one if I had the cash laying around, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

#6 ·
Well, this reasoning is kinds misleading as well. Tesla is a single-model manufacturer right now. BMW is a multinational business with plants around the world churning out dozens of different models and variations. Some of them mainstream models.

Tesla's Model S is not a mainstream model, and the article is trying to compare its sales to what they consider the direct European competitors based on price.

Let's say the truth lies somewhere in the middle. And the only truth I care about is that Tesla stays in business, becomes successful, and is able to get their Model C on the market which I plan to buy, barring another manufacturer coming out with a better electric car first.

#4 ·
I have to agree with the 'Early Adopters' sentiment. It really is a cool car though, and I wish them continued success. It's the only electric that I've heard of with true extended range.

#5 ·
I love Tesla and I'm invested heavily in them, however I agree that this is not much more than a quick bragging point for them with no real meaning. They're still working their way through pre-orders which means everything leaving their plant is already sold. When its true competition of buyers that haven't yet committed, it may be a different story.

That said, its a great car, a local company, and I wish them well.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

#8 ·
I'm not a Tesla brand enthusiast, just yet at least, but I think this company is the bonafide "next big thing". Very impressive what they are doing, and IMO they have only just begun.

#9 ·
If Tesla can sustain, which I really believe they can, based on research and facts developed thus dar, the smaller Sedan and something like a Crossover will add significant growth to their mass-market prospects. Daimler and Toyota are heavy investors and Tesla is supplying batteries for both. Elon Musk is also a man I wouldn't bet against. If there is a real life "second coming" of Steve Jobs, it would probably be him.

#10 ·
Come on, how many people actually buy the S class, A8, and 7 series compared with the rest? The 3 series, C class, and A4 is where these companies make their money.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.