BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tesla - petition at Whitehouse.gov

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  cwsqbm 
#1 ·
There is a petition at Whitehouse.gov to address the issue of dealership associations in states trying to block Tesla from selling direct to customers. Personally, I don't have an issue with Tesla's sales model, and actually wish other brands would follow suit.

Think about it: You can buy from factory stores for Apple, Microsoft, Bose, Levi, Eddie Bauer, etc. So why not buy a car the same way?

Here's the petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...9a97fee4560953f11601e78ab13&elqCampaignId=194

#2 ·
You are a consumer - as someone whose family owned a car dealership for more than 50 years - been loyal to a brand and then been shafted (as many were when the govt. mandated the mfgs close dealers down to "save the auto industry" - I'm not convinced that for large brands, direct sales are a better solution.

The independent dealerships get the shaft all the time from the mfgs - I'm not so sure that going that route is a good idea unless it is limited based on number of units sold in a state per year. If the dealer network is broken down - dealing with the mfgs for end-users in mass-markets would be better how exactly??

#3 ·
Of course the dealers are against this, but what gives a dealership a natural right to exist? If you have to ask why people hate dealerships, you haven't paid attention around here or on any other car forum. My family bought from one family-run dealership for decades and had good experiences, but that was the exception to the norm.

#4 ·
why would I pay attention to where your family bought their cars? fwiw - my family dealership was in the UK - and has long gone by the way-side - my grandfather told the car mfg he was done when my father passed away - he didn't have the patience to deal with their political BS and told them to get lost - shutting down the family business a few years later (I happen to think it was a bad move - but I had no say in the matter).

I also happen to think that small local dealers should and need to offer superior service - when they get big, or are part of large groups - and even some local middle-high-end marque dealers get really "up themselves" - you always have competition... the point is that competition keeps the dealers honest in many cases, close that down and you can buy from factory owned outlet A or factory owned outlet B.. choice is limited in my experience.

Personally - I hate the apple stores and M$ store and the other "factory owned outlets" - in my experience - they are "up themselves".

Would Tesla be different? Perhaps - their size makes them "hungry for business" - at least I hope it does... one thing worries me though - we've already seen them put out what anyone in the know calls a totally misleading marketing campaign - ie, they rolled in the gas savings to come up with an "effective payment" - the real payment for the Tesla model was much, MUCH more than they tried to make people believe with their marketing campaign.. that's a little "snake oil" - and I have a feeling that marketing by that kind of method is NOT good and not an improvement to the current status quo.

Just my opinion though.

#6 ·
Looks like Tesla made the petition requirement. Now let's see what the administration decides to do with it.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with franchised dealerships in principle. Or franchises at all. What I do have a problem with is these franchises having a hissy fit and trying their damnedest to prevent Tesla from selling cars directly. Reminds me of what the Big Three did to Tucker back in the day! Tucker was an innovative automobile that was a threat to the other brands because it was "better". Tesla (and electric cars) are too important to be squashed for no other reason than greed.

I don't have an issue with direct manufacturer stores. Sure, there are pros and cons to any method of sales. But to say franchised dealerships (big corporations or family places) are infallible of incapable of shady dealings is absurd. And the biggest problem when they do get shady is the manufacturer can't/won't do anything about it, and it's bad rep for the brand, not just the dealership.

Telsa's "effective payment" marketing is no different than all the ads you see from dealerships for low-ball lease/finance payments that when you read the fine print equal a stripped car that doesn't exist with mileage or down payment requirements that are absurd.

#10 ·
Telsa's "effective payment" marketing is no different than all the ads you see from dealerships for low-ball lease/finance payments that when you read the fine print equal a stripped car that doesn't exist with mileage or down payment requirements that are absurd.
it is VERY different - the "effective payment" is the out of pocket for the car, minus the money you are NOT paying for gas.. that's not your payment and it's not "effective payment" - they don't know how much you or I drive - it is pure trickery in numbers.

#7 ·
This is an issue of state law, so the WH will be powerless to do anything about it. Car dealers and alcohol distributors are among the strongest lobbies in many states, and the inspiration for many ridiculous rules and regulations for the distribution of some products.

#13 ·
Signed it. Tesla is paving the way for the future, IMO. Get in or get out of the way (or fight it and probably lose).

Does anyone know if they got all the votes needed (I'm sure they did).

Problem for the dealership network in terms of support from the public is.... the dealership network. Being that for every 1 amazing and honest dealership experience, there are a crap-ton of dated, archaic, slimy dealerships that mislead people. In the BMW community and especially on this forum we have ways to find dealerships and salesman who are top notch, perfectly honest and provide a truly premium, high class experience. However, unfortunately there are so many bad apples out there as well. People are bound to find Tesla's approach revolutionary to the automotive sales model.

IMO Tesla is like the automotive equivalent in terms of innovation and revolution that Apple was to all the various areas they revolutionized (including Retail).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.